Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Emergency Call System Malfunction.

PLB

I'm getting this on my new car for the past week. Emergency call system malfunctioning and front Speakers not working. Speakers only fail first use each day, after a restart they will work for the rest of the day. Haven't noticed any other faults accompanying it. Going to the dealer first chance I get.

Hi all, I’m delighted I found this thread. I’m in a relatively new Focus & this error is coming up.

It was over for a service & it didn’t show up. It’s back again since yesterday, the fault & the dealership seem to have no knowledge re this? The only thing they can equate it to is the fact the modem has been disabled as a result if my non subscribing to the data package?! I bought my car it was three months old, so never got to avail of the ‘free 3 months internet’, nor do I want another bill! I thought the emergency system should work without needing a data plan? 

47 minutes ago, Sibh said:

I thought the emergency system should work without needing a data plan? 

My Data Plan ran out a few weeks ago and I have not had any problems.

I would guess that most people let the Date Plan expire and never renew it.

I have has this problem a couple of times, Two dealers have had a look one of them reset the TCU and everything worked for a week then the problem returned. Dealer two could not fix anything. Both times the problem has been returned to Ford but still no fix.

3 hours ago, Sibh said:

Hi all, I’m delighted I found this thread. I’m in a relatively new Focus & this error is coming up.

It was over for a service & it didn’t show up. It’s back again since yesterday, the fault & the dealership seem to have no knowledge re this? The only thing they can equate it to is the fact the modem has been disabled as a result if my non subscribing to the data package?! I bought my car it was three months old, so never got to avail of the ‘free 3 months internet’, nor do I want another bill! I thought the emergency system should work without needing a data plan? 

Dont think their theory is correct. Mine still has the 3 month trial active till Nov and its showing these issues. Mines booked in next week but not holding out much faith. Looks like I'll be pressing emergency call/ emergency cancel forever! I worked on assumption modem capability is free for 2 years the other data plan is for in car wifi. This is pointless for most people with a decent sim plan.

I had the problem before i had the data plan active......I used the Focus last night and the the error was not present.👍..great. this morning the problem is there 👎. Going to book it in with another dealer for the third time.. anyone got any advice on how to return a vehicle under warranty and get a replacement.. 

I had the same problem as Paul described originally, vehicle 3 months old, emergency call error message appearing and then various sound problems (although in my case the sounds, including bluetooth calls, were still there but so low as to be almost inaudible). Radio was still fine though.

Removing fuse 11 for a minute fixed the problem, no more error message and sound back to normal, but if it returns I'll be booking into the dealer.

I don't think this is to do with the data plan, as I have not purchased a separate one, however I have activated the modem to get traffic updates and use the Ford Pass app. The emergency call system will apparently work for the life of the vehicle, regardless of whether the initial 2 year connectivity is renewed, or an additional data plan is purchased.

It cant rely on any data or connectivity plan purchase, the 'ecall' system is an EU requirement on all new vehicles after March 2018

I've been having this issue on my Focus 2019 everyday for months now and it's so frustrating!

Not being able to take phone calls, listening to tinny sounding music and no sat nav audio is not something we should deal with with on a brand-new car.

What makes it even more frustrating is that once every 10 engine starts, it decided to work normally without an error the entire journey. Then the next it's broken again.

I took my car for a service at Trust Ford Alperton and the technician said it had something to do with my phone and had never seen the error message before!

I'm so glad to have come across this thread, I will attempt the fuse 11 removal trick later this week.

Has anybody sent their car in for repair and actually had this permanently fixed?

• Like 1

Hi.

I'm the owner of a Ford Focus Active 2019 from Spain and I have the same problem as you. In my language, there is no information about it and neither the dealer nor the garage knows how to repair this problem. They have never even heard of it.

I've had the same problem for 2 weeks and it's very frustrating:

• Same message on the screen (but in Spanish)
  • Front Speakers don't sound.
  • Because they don't ring, you can't interact with your mobile phone, listen to messages, or talk on the phone with your handsfree.
  • It happens only a few times. Others don't.

In my case, the problems started to occur just when I upgraded my iPhone to the latest version of iOS, but it may be by chance. Does everyone who has this problem have all iPhone?

I have this problem and now its happening on most journeys. I took the car to Haynes at Maidstone and after investigating stated that they had contacted Ford regarding these problems and they say they are known problems and they are working on a software update fix but could not say when this will be available.

If its anything like the July 2019 update this took from my first report of the screen freezing in January, when an update was promised, 6 months to appear. Its only since that update that all these problems on this thread seemed to happen

On 10/17/2019 at 4:38 PM, lolomarchal said:

Hi.

I'm the owner of a Ford Focus Active 2019 from Spain and I have the same problem as you. In my language, there is no information about it and neither the dealer nor the garage knows how to repair this problem. They have never even heard of it.

I've had the same problem for 2 weeks and it's very frustrating:

• Same message on the screen (but in Spanish)
  • Front speakers don't sound.
  • Because they don't ring, you can't interact with your mobile phone, listen to messages, or talk on the phone with your handsfree.
  • It happens only a few times. Others don't.

In my case, the problems started to occur just when I upgraded my iPhone to the latest version of iOS, but it may be by chance. Does everyone who has this problem have all iPhone?

Hi,

no, I have a Samsung phone. 

Since I removed the fuse and replaced it, a couple of weeks ago, the problem hasn't come back, so I'm keeping fingers crossed. Hopefully they will come up with a proper fix soon.

Happened to me for the first time tonight.

As people said I checked and there was no modem serial number showing and ford pass would not lock/unlock the doors vehicle location is wrong too.

Took fuse 11 out (then dropped the darn thing and had to take the carpet and foam block out 😡)

Replaced fuse, error gone away, and serial number showing, ford pass will now lock/unlock the doors but vehicle location is wrong .

Will keep an eye on it and if it happens again will have to go back to dealer.

Hi......same things happening on my 6 month old, in garage today for second time. Dealer has passed it on to Ford and says that a Software fix will be issued. Does not specify when. Am currently on Sync 3.3

In the meantime, i will continue to press Ecall button and cancel, which seems to clear it for a day or two.

Very frustrating.

Glad others have had success with fuse 11. 
It’s been a month since I reseated mine and I’ve had no issues since.

I agree it’s annoying this shouldn’t be happening on new cars. 

On 10/25/2019 at 11:55 AM, jwharmsby said:

Glad others have had success with fuse 11. 
It’s been a month since I reseated mine and I’ve had no issues since.

I agree it’s annoying this shouldn’t be happening on new cars. 

So glad for this thread!

I've not been able to remove Fuse 11 yet - don't trust myself not to break it as it seemed very fiddly.

I got my Focus in August, this issue started in October, so no issue of data plans. I don't have an iPhone either.

It's been to the dealer twice now, and had a software upgrade. They assured me it was fixed - 2 starts later and the problem came back in full force. The classic symptoms - no front Speakers, SOS light bright red, phone not working, parking sensor noises too high.

So a software upgrade does nothing. So disappointed at Ford.

It's booked in for a 3rd time soon, and I'm going to make them do Fuse 11 and also check the Telematics chip as per this thread. Will loop back with info.

D

On 10/16/2019 at 8:21 AM, Aron R said:

I've been having this issue on my Focus 2019 everyday for months now and it's so frustrating!

Not being able to take phone calls, listening to tinny sounding music and no sat nav audio is not something we should deal with with on a brand-new car.

What makes it even more frustrating is that once every 10 engine starts, it decided to work normally without an error the entire journey. Then the next it's broken again.

I took my car for a service at Trust Ford Alperton and the technician said it had something to do with my phone and had never seen the error message before!

I'm so glad to have come across this thread, I will attempt the fuse 11 removal trick later this week.

Has anybody sent their car in for repair and actually had this permanently fixed?

Booked in twice now and still no fix, Dunton Ford Dealer admitted that there is NO fix and they are waiting Ford to advise on the issue. Told me to wait for a fix .............could be a long wait so I pulled fuse 11 and everything worked for a while ( 1 week ) then it returned. 

The reliable operation of this emergency call(Ecall) system is a mandatory EU  requirement for all new vehicles after March 2018. I would have thought that malfunction of the system would be considered a safety issue ? 

This is a fault from a patch sent to very recent cars via the in car modem.

It affects thousands of cars and will cause the front Speakers to cut out and the bluetooth to the phone to fail.

We have a 2019 focus and this has been the case for some weeks.

8 hours ago, Rover 35 said:

This is a fault from a patch sent to very recent cars via the in car modem.

It affects thousands of cars and will cause the front speakers to cut out and the Bluetooth to the phone to fail.

We have a 2019 focus and this has been the case for some weeks.

My ST-Line was built end of August. I don’t know of any patch being sent. 

Would Ford send a patch without telling the owner? 

• Like 1

So my Focus went in for the 3rd time today, with me mentioning Telematics and Fuse 11 etc.

Because so many cars are affected, Ford have apparently issued a directive to all dealers to reset Telematics modules when they see this issue. Mine was reset today and so far so good.

Obviously if there's any issues I'll report back here and take it in for the 4th time!!

But anyone looking for a fix should mention this.

• Like 1

Interesting info. Mine goes in for the 3rd time on Wednesday with the same issues.
Will make sure they are aware of your info.

18 hours ago, GermanWolf said:

So my Focus went in for the 3rd time today, with me mentioning Telematics and Fuse 11 etc.

Because so many cars are affected, Ford have apparently issued a directive to all dealers to reset Telematics modules when they see this issue. Mine was reset today and so far so good.

Obviously if there's any issues I'll report back here and take it in for the 4th time!!

But anyone looking for a fix should mention this.

What month was yours built? 

I got mine start of October so I think built September 🤔 

*edit I saw your previous comment ..got it in August.

i was asking a Ford technician if he’d had any issues with the mk4.

said no! He had to say that.

Having said that, I spoke to a driving instructor has a 68 mk4..22000 miles on the clock . Not one issue. 

Hi,

I have a Ford focus 2lt D Titanium X,  registered June 2019. For the first 4 months it was fine. Now I get this emergency assistance message popping up on most times i start the car. I also lose the front speaker. The red Emergency Call light also glows strong red. Pressing the emergency call and cancelling it then restarting the engine does clear it for the trip but the fault always returns. I have not been to the dealer yet as i guess it is a software fault and the net tells me my software is up to date. I am going to try the "Fuse 11" removal. I will let this place know if it works for me. If anyone has any info from Ford on this fault I would be interested to know. I do not have much faith in the dealer I'm afraid. Thanks 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TonyF said:

Hi,

I have a Ford focus 2lt D Titanium X,  registered June 2019. For the first 4 months it was fine. Now I get this emergency assistance message popping up on most times i start the car. I also lose the front speaker. The red Emergency Call light also glows strong red. Pressing the emergency call and cancelling it then restarting the engine does clear it for the trip but the fault always returns. I have not been to the dealer yet as i guess it is a software fault and the net tells me my software is up to date. I am going to try the "Fuse 11" removal. I will let this place know if it works for me. If anyone has any info from Ford on this fault I would be interested to know. I do not have much faith in the dealer I'm afraid. Thanks 

Try a Telemetrics Module reset when you take it to the dealer.

It's worked for me in clearing the error message the majority of issues related to that.

However, I've noticed today that my front Speakers still don't work all the time for the radio. Parking sensor sounds come through, as do other notifications... Just not the radio.

I'll see if it persists and if so, it's back to the dealer for a 4th time. There could even be a separate wiring issue for the Speakers.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club