Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Emergency Call System Malfunction.

PLB

Hi guys, i have the same issue and i was once in Ford they did i think an upgrade and then the issue dissapeared for couple months. Now i got it again, and i think that it has to do indeed with battery because i am not doing any long distances. So i would like to ask you guys that have the same issue do you also do small distances or it does not have to do with it.

Hi All

Might be talking total rubbish here but ........

Are any of you wearing a fitbit or similar smart watch / device ?

Had major issues with sending calls / voice recognition / front Speakers shortly after buying car in Dec '18 and after nearly loosing the plot with the issue left the fitbit indoors and  ................. never had an issue since !!   I worked out that it was something to do with the phone / watch communicating with each other that the car objected to 

• Like 1

Sorry to shoot down your theory, I wear a Fitbit like watch regularly and haven't seen the problem (that's probably this kiss of death!)

I have a Vignale supposedly the Luxury Flagship Focus (what a load of SH--TE) it started before I even collected the car on the PDI inspection they found that the HEAD UP DISPLAY did not work correctly so had to order a replacement that put the delivery back by a week (not a good start).

On the second day of ownership I had a message alert to say that the COLLISION WARNING SYSTEM had detected a fault this has happened twice between 5th Oct 2019 to 3rd January so I can live with that but the next error message that I got on the same day was CHARGING SYSTEM FAULT  this happened 27 times until the vehicle went back to Evans Halshaw on the 18th October to be fixed, when booking it in I was informed by the service Reception that it was probably a faulty battery and should be ready later in the day but when later in the day arrived I was informed that the battery was to low to carry out the tests and they would need to keep the vehicle overnight to give it a complete charge and would let me know the following day which they did and I collected the Vehicle thinking all was well and so it was until 13th November when CHARGING SYSTEM FAULT reared its ugly head again this has now occurred a further 17 times up until 3rd January in addition at the beginning of December I got my first EMERGENCY CALL SYSTEM MALFUNCTION WARNING which started off as an intermittent thing but within a few days became permanent and sometimes affects Phone and Speakers and sometimes not.

Vehicle went back to Evans Halshaw on Friday 17th January for the day and guess what had a phone call early afternoon asking if they could keep the vehicle over the weekend (I would prefer they kept it forever and gave me my money back together with my FAULTLESS Mk3 ZETEC S) as the battery was to low to get any positive readings also they needed to contact FORD regarding an issue with SYNC.

So as you can see from the above BATTERY BATTERY BATTERY seems to be the thread that keeps coming up however what I can't understand is if the BATTERY is so low how come the vehicle starts on the button first time every time ???.

By the way has anyone looked at the prices for a replacement BATTERY for the Focus ££££££££££ WOW maybe that's why they are not keen on fitting new ones probably waiting till the Ford Warranty expires on that item.

I have had Ford's for the last Thirty Five Years Capri/Orion/Sierra/Focus MK1/Focus Mk3 and other than a Tiiming Belt snap on the 23000 mile Orion I have had no problems at all what the hell has happened to Ford.

Back in the day I had Pre Crossflow Anglia's and Cortina's that gave less trouble that this bag of S--TE.

Will keep you updated.

On 1/16/2020 at 3:33 PM, TonyQl said:

Hi guys, i have the same issue and i was once in Ford they did i think an upgrade and then the issue dissapeared for couple months. Now i got it again, and i think that it has to do indeed with battery because i am not doing any long distances. So i would like to ask you guys that have the same issue do you also do small distances or it does not have to do with it.

Yes I do mostly low mileage trips but no one in the dealership asked if I did LOW or HIGH mileage so I presumed that the Vehicle was suitable for both.

I've had my Focus ST Line X 1.5 Diesel since April 2019, its been back in with the Emergency Call Button Fault 7 times, on average Evans Halshaw have kept my car for around a week at a time.

I was informed last week by Ford Motoring the new update required wont be out until April and even then it's not 100% so I've rejected the car under the consumer rights ACT 2015, Evans Halshaw not playing ball so looks like were heading to court!

• Like 1

On 1/19/2020 at 7:23 PM, Quigzz said:

I've had my Focus ST Line X 1.5 Diesel since April 2019, its been back in with the Emergency Call Button Fault 7 times, on average Evans Halshaw have kept my car for around a week at a time.

I was informed last week by Ford Motoring the new update required wont be out until April and even then it's not 100% so I've rejected the car under the consumer rights ACT 2015, Evans Halshaw not playing ball so looks like were heading to court!

I'd be interested to hear how that goes. My dealer said if the April update doesn't fix it he'd accept mine back as a faulty good.

Weirdly, mine has been fine recently. I've gone back to work and doing 50 miles a day means the battery is getting a good charge. Speakers/Bluetooth work, start/stop works, rear windscreen demister works... All fine.

Before, if I left the car parked for 2 days, I'd sometimes get a message saying "low power mode" or similar. And when I'd get that, all the above wouldn't work.

So for me it's pretty clear

battery!

Will update if mine regresses.

16 hours ago, RubenLegendario said:

Buenas, yo he tenido el error varias veces.

Y os  digo por experiencia que aparece cuando el modem se queda sin cobertura y al no tener cobertura pues no puede realizar la llamada de emergencia.

La historia es que cuando vuelve a enganchar cobertura el error persiste y tiene  que arreglarlo con alguna actualizacion.

No es por bateria, ni por cosas raras,  es la cobertura.

Un saludo.

I think this is the correct English translation to this post:

Good morning, I've had the mistake several times. 
And I tell you from experience that it appears when the modem runs out of coverage and because it has no coverage because it can't make the emergency call. 
The story is that when you re-hook coverage the bug persists and you have to fix it with some update. 
It's not about battery, it's not about weird things, it's the coverage. 
Greetings. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/19/2020 at 7:23 PM, Quigzz said:

1.5 Diesel so does that mean that you do relatively long journeys which would keep the battery topped up ?

My Vignale also supplied by Evans Halshaw so will be interested to see how you get on with the Rejection under Consumer Rights Law

I have a late 2019 ST Line X 1.0 Auto Estate. I have seen the low power message a couple of times but other than that my issue is the (B&O) door Speakers not working most of the time unless the sos button is pressed twice. 

If it helps anyone I do about 46 miles a day which takes 2 - 2 1/2 hours total due to London traffic. Car is more often than not used 7 days a week. 

Would be a problem for me to be without it so am waiting for news of a fix before I take it in. 

13 hours ago, Midgeman said:

I think this is the correct English translation to this post:

Good morning, I've had the mistake several times. 
And I tell you from experience that it appears when the modem runs out of coverage and because it has no coverage because it can't make the emergency call. 
The story is that when you re-hook coverage the bug persists and you have to fix it with some update. 
It's not about battery, it's not about weird things, it's the coverage. 
Greetings. 

That would also tally with my experience - the only time I've had this fault is when I started my car in the middle of a field which was being used as an over-flow carpark in the middle of nowhere. 

On 1/20/2020 at 8:54 PM, GermanWolf said:

I'd be interested to hear how that goes. My dealer said if the April update doesn't fix it he'd accept mine back as a faulty good.

Weirdly, mine has been fine recently. I've gone back to work and doing 50 miles a day means the battery is getting a good charge. Speakers/Bluetooth work, start/stop works, rear windscreen demister works... All fine.

Before, if I left the car parked for 2 days, I'd sometimes get a message saying "low power mode" or similar. And when I'd get that, all the above wouldn't work.

So for me it's pretty clear

BATTERY!

Will update if mine regresses.

I cursed it, front Speakers not working again. Back to square one.

The lack of coverage can be a reason for it to display the message, but this is happening consistently and in cities. It's a wider issue beyond just the coverage, as that would have nothing to do with front Speakers not working etc.

On 5/19/2019 at 6:05 PM, PLB said:

will arrange for my dealer to take a look ASAP, but has anyone else experienced this problem or have any ideas as to what it’s likely to be

I’ve followed this thread just out of interest, I’m now too getting the issues ,although not all , on my 4 month old mk4.

8 months later , did you ever get it sorted? 

Ah yes. I have had the same problems. It will reset after a complete engine stop door opened and left to its own devices. I have had error message after error message fir many of the systems along with the navigation freezing and sign recognition failure. They all reset after a night on the drive. The issue is that until they do reset you don’t have the functionality. Which is why i liked the car. Mine failed on a solo drive to Cornwall. Among other occasions. I have a Ford Focus titanium 2019. Problems also with auto hold, and stop start function. Park pilot, pre collision assist, oil needing changed after 3000 miles twice, so many I wrote a several page letter. In between the shenanigans it’s a wonderful drive. But definitely big software issues on its 80 computers. Updates last week took nearly two days. 
It’s disappointing. I tried to reject the car as not fit for purpose but they keep trying to fix it.   Gillian 

Edited by Gilli
Added a bit and a spelling error

Hi,

I am another one with problems.  A fortnight after purchase in August the WiFi etc. stopped working and the screen kept freezing.  Took it to the dealers who allegedly patched it with an update, and all was well until three weeks ago when the dreaded "Emergency Call System malfunction" warning light came on - and has done so within 1-3 minutes of starting every journey since.  Dealer had it for an afternoon to reload software, but had to give up when only 30% loaded after 90 mins.  They now want it for a full day as they say the download will take 4 hours, so have to wait three weeks for loan car availability.....   In the meantime the sensors have made a peculiar noise on one occasion, and all connectivity is lost, so no updates on satnav., Fordpass app. not working,  etc.

On 1/22/2020 at 8:04 PM, Alex.S said:

I’ve followed this thread just out of interest, I’m now too getting the issues ,although not all , on my 4 month old mk4.

8 months later , did you ever get it sorted? 

Hi Alex.S

I didn’t realise that my original post back in May 2019 would generate so much interest and unfortunately it appears that lots of other owners are having this problem.

The situation with me was that I was also experiencing a long term no Stop Start functionality problem. (See other threads on this topic).

After discussing the Stop Start problem with my dealer’s senior mechanic who I’ve know for several years he suggested I book it in for a more thorough investigation and he ended up keeping it for 3 days.

He initially fully charged the battery and the Stop Start worked but found that the following day during a test drive that the Stop Start failed to work. This procedure was repeated the following day with the same result.

Apparently the automatic diagnostics tests on the battery passed ok but after discussions between my mechanic and Ford and thanks to the perseverance of my mechanic they eventually agreed and gave the go ahead for a new battery.

I have to say that my Stop Start now works and I haven’t had the Emergency Message show since.

Having said that a replacement battery may not work for everyone but it appears to have worked for me

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, PLB said:

Hi Alex.S

I didn’t realise that my original post back in May 2019 would generate so much interest and unfortunately it appears that lots of other owners are having this problem.

The situation with me was that I was also experiencing a long term no Stop Start functionality problem. (See other threads on this topic).

After discussing the Stop Start problem with my dealer’s senior mechanic who I’ve know for several years he suggested I book it in for a more thorough investigation and he ended up keeping it for 3 days.

He initially fully charged the battery and the Stop Start worked but found that the following day during a test drive that the Stop Start failed to work. This procedure was repeated the following day with the same result.

Apparently the automatic diagnostics tests on the battery passed ok but after discussions between my mechanic and Ford and thanks to the perseverance of my mechanic they eventually agreed and gave the go ahead for a new battery.

I have to say that my Stop Start now works and I haven’t had the Emergency Message show since.

Having said that a replacement battery may not work for everyone but it appears to have worked for me

I started getting this message a couple of days ago, and ever since my parking sensor 'speakers' seem to have gone very tinny.

This has happened in the past, but used to go away after walking away from the vehicle and restarting the car, but now it's staying persistent.

The front Speakers are also cutting out as others said. Funnily enough, my car was only in a couple of weeks ago for a system update to fix my oil degregation issue (non-safety recall).

I'll be calling up my local dealership at lunch to discuss. Has anyone had to pay out for a courtesey car for this issue, while under warranty?

4 hours ago, JackH95 said:

I started getting this message a couple of days ago, and ever since my parking sensor 'speakers' seem to have gone very tinny.

This has happened in the past, but used to go away after walking away from the vehicle and restarting the car, but now it's staying persistent.

The front speakers are also cutting out as others said. Funnily enough, my car was only in a couple of weeks ago for a system update to fix my oil degregation issue (non-safety recall).

I'll be calling up my local dealership at lunch to discuss. Has anyone had to pay out for a courtesey car for this issue, while under warranty?

I had the free use (apart from the fuel used) of a courtesy car for the 3 days whilst my car was being fixed.

Another oddity this evening, presumably related - the car would not lock via the touch spot on the front door handles after I put it into the garage.  I checked that all doors and hatch were properly shut (they were), and tried to lock it again several times by touch on both front doors; no joy.   In a slight state of panic I tried with the fob and it locked - after which the car would happily lock and unlock via the touch points on the front doors!   The "bug" seems to strike anywhere quite randomly; my front Speakers always seem to be alright (so far.........).

17 hours ago, Exiled Imp said:

Another oddity this evening, presumably related - the car would not lock via the touch spot on the front door handles after I put it into the garage.  I checked that all doors and hatch were properly shut (they were), and tried to lock it again several times by touch on both front doors; no joy.   In a slight state of panic I tried with the fob and it locked - after which the car would happily lock and unlock via the touch points on the front doors!   The "bug" seems to strike anywhere quite randomly; my front speakers always seem to be alright (so far.........).

Hi

i have occasionally had this non-responsiveness to touch. Fortunately, the key fob always does the trick. Sometimes the key just needs repositioning. I think maybe the signals get blocked by phones in proximity or maybe even bank cards with magnetic strips. No idea. Just guessing. 

On the earlier cars with touch sensors on all 4 doors, both rear and the passenger sensors sometimes seem to get disabled dependant on battery charge level. I've never noticed the drivers door being disabled though

On 1/27/2020 at 8:45 AM, JackH95 said:

The front speakers are also cutting out as others said. Funnily enough, my car was only in a couple of weeks ago for a system update to fix my oil degregation issue (non-safety recall).

Mine has been in 7 times for this fault, usually they keep my car for a week to complete updates and whatever else they do. On the last 3 occasions I've been given a Demo car free of charge.

I've rejected the car but Evans Halshaw wont except the rejection as they class it as a trivial fault.

I've had to get a solicitor involved and it looks like we are heading to the county court to resolve it.

I'll keep everyone updated when things progress either way!

• Sad 1

Hi, im from Portugal. i run a focus 2019 st line petrol since 12 months.no issues at all until today.

last week my car returned from dealer where i had one door changed due to crash and i suppose they disconnected battery, so i had to reconfigure all settings. Usually i had disable the automatic updates and with this reboot it went again on enabled status. 3 days after i came from dealer, i had a screen message on radio about software update, like it normally does when we update from usb port . I didnt care so much

today, after a short stop to fuel up, when i started over the run, the radio screen was rebooting (ford logo) and only show up after 2 or 3 minutes. The navigation was all messed up, the arrow was driving nuts and not follwoing the road.

Another stop and after 2h i ride it again, now i dont have sound in the left Speakers.

another stop, restart again and sound comes back again.

i suppose the im hit with the ford "carowner" virus

• Like 1

I generally buy a 1 Yr old used car. Possibly next year I'd be due to buy. I really think I'll need to move away from Ford as fear getting one of these used bangers that someone's had issues with. Damn you Ford. [emoji53]

• Like 3

Took my car to the dealership yesterday. They cleared the error codes and run further updates. So far so good; will keep you posted

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club