Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Emergency Call System Malfunction.

PLB

That's not good ,Gilli.    Our car continues to behave impeccably on most fronts since the telematics module was replaced back in February, not that its done more than a couple of hundred miles since then. The sensors go peculiar-sounding very occasionally, but seem to correct themselves by the next start up.    Oh, and the passenger door "magic" unlock seems to go on strike when it feels like it, probably about 25% of the time.  Can't wait to change the car for something a little less electronic that actually works all of the time!

• Thanks 1

I know. It’s such a shame. Today, I started her up and all was well. No error messages. 
The door unlock does occasionally fail. At the moment I can only unlock the driver’s door and the boot. The other locks won’t work. I’m sure I just need to reset but it’s annoying. 
I normally  let my son have my car when I change, but not sure it’s a car I want to pass on due to all the glitches. He’ll have to keep the 2015 model for an extra bit of time. Means my husband won’t get to change from his 2011 to the 2015. That’s how we pass them around. Not going to happen this time I don’t think. And also with electric on the horizon maybe good just to pause until the right car is available. 

And I still have stress when I’m on a steep hill start junction. Like today. Will the car pull away?Or will it roll back! 
wish I just had a handbrake. 
🤦‍♀️

I am following this thread with great interest. I'm from the Netherlands and face the same issues. Also I found that sync is resetting itself now about every 2 weeks. The language is back to English and all bluetooth connections are gone. The dealer says they have no solution, but maybe they can resolve some issues when they have the car for a few days.

Also I get the following alarms frequently: 

Hill assist malfunctioning, pre collision malfunction, autohold malfunctioning, ECS failure.

I had the 2 previous focus and was a pleased user, but this model makes me sad.

• Thanks 1

Hi Joey-B

thise are the exact issues that I had before they took the car for two days and applied every single update available. Even after that it had to go back because one of the updates knocked out the heaters on one side. That was a very quick fix though. 
like you, I am a big Focus fan. But something has gone seriously haywire with the systems on this model. The most distressing thing for me is the auto hold malfunction. 
it has started switching itself off again. 
not good in hilly terrain. 
hope you get yours sorted. Insist they keep the car until all the updates are complete. It takes more than a day. 
Meanwhile, I will tackle the latest glitches. 🤦‍♀️
Gillian 

2 hours ago, Gilli said:

The most distressing thing for me is the auto hold malfunction. It has started switching itself off again. Not good in hilly terrain. 

Gillian 

Like you Gillian my auto hold turns itself off randomly, I thought it was because of the battery drain issue that needs an update, has your Focus had the battery drain update applied?

There's a battery drain update?  

Mine finally went in after being completely dead on my driveway through lockdown.  They said the battery has failed, then miraculously it charged up so put it back in.  I collected last friday, Sunday Auto Start/Stop worked. By Wednesday it was no longer working again.  I suspect battery drain.

This car really is lovely to drive, but such a disappointment that things don't work and Ford can't / won't fix.  I'm not sure I will ever buy another Ford.

18 hours ago, Biddy said:

This car really is lovely to drive, but such a disappointment that things don't work and Ford can't / won't fix.  I'm not sure I will ever buy another Ford.

I'm totally with you on this after forty years of Ford ownership it will be my last. 

The lack of customer service from the totally useless and inept "Executive Office" does Ford UK no favours at all.

So far no more problems with the modem. But barely 2 weeks having the car back and Not one start/stop so far, plus the sensors are randomly doing the high pitched sound. Restarting ignition solves it but this is how the problems started first time around. I can live with the sensor sound issue and no start/stop but if the other problems return, I’m taking the car to the dealership, handing over the keys and will tell them I’m rejecting the car.

I'm gutted. I did not have a car for 7 years. I spent a lot of time researching cars and finally decided on the Focus, only to find it’s an electronic lemon. Not impressed for the price. 

Ford should be able to find the vampire circuit fairly easy. It's 101 car electrician work, and all it needs is a bit of time and a multi-meter!

3 hours ago, Ennvoqation said:

Ford should be able to find the vampire circuit fairly easy. It's 101 car electrician work, and all it needs is a bit of time and a multi-meter!

It’s just more back and forth. I bought a new car so I didn’t have to deal with recurring problems.

15 hours ago, Zimboni said:

It’s just more back and forth. I bought a new car so I didn’t have to deal with recurring problems.

Agreed. It’s so annoying. Just expecting a yearly service and minimal maintenance issues for at least three years. My car has spent more time in the Dealers than the two cars before it together. Also Ford Focus and still in the family. Both fine so far. Just wear and tear items you would expect on a 2011 and a 2015 car. 

Ive got a 19 Plate ST Line-X estate/auto.

I’ve just had my car into Ford for repair because of the Emergency call malfunctioning for about the 2nd/3rd time since I bought it in January.

Ford sent out an engineer as the local Ford garage couldn’t get their head around it and decided to replace the telematics unit. 2 weeks later I get the car back and within 10 minutes emergency call error pops up again.

Also had an issue with Stop Start not engaging because the battery was low even after having it sat on a battery charger. Did a 2/3 hour drive to give it a good run out and now the Intelligent Camera/Cruise control has malfunctioned and Emergency Call Malfunction is back. Although I can now make phone calls and the SOS button works. 

Fords software is so bad their software developers need a rocket up their ***** to get these bugs fixed it’s really not good to launch updates that do no good.

Hi folks, just a note to say goodbye.  Yesterday we traded in our 11 month old Focus for an ex-demo Skoda Scala 1.0 litre SE L DSG (the car we had originally wanted last year, but was unavailable to order at that time owing to certification delays post-VWgate).   It costs of course, trading in at this young age, but the Scala is a lovely car, and we feel it was well worth it to get the electronics problems behind us.

By the way, we had to drive 180 miles on motorways to the Skoda dealer to pick it up, and by the time we got there the stop/start on the Focus still did not work, so maybe there is more to it than battery level.......?

Best of luck with all the issues - I shall continue to watch with interest how things go! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yay, can I join the club.

Just had my first "Emergency call malfunction, service now" message today.

It’s like iOS software updates. The best way to test new software and updates is to release it. 

But they are then meant to fix any issues..

On 9/26/2019 at 2:31 PM, jwharmsby said:

Just for anyone else having this issue, right after I’d booked in for a service I noticed that my FordPass app wasn’t locking or unlocking the doors so I looked in settings and noticed my onboard modem serial number was missing. 

Tried resetting all settings etc, nothing. Tried reseating fuse to reboot modem and seems to have worked. 

If you’ve got this emergency call error and your modem serial is missing, remove fuse panel cover in passenger footwell, fully remove fuse 11, give it a wipe and reinsert. Fixed my error (and the FordPass app) straight away. Might be worth a try!

Thanks. Removing fuse 11 and replacing worked for me! I have B&O Speakers and didn’t lose the front speaker output though as others have reported.

On 6/22/2020 at 4:49 PM, Gilli said:

I know. It’s such a shame. Today, I started her up and all was well. No error messages. 
The door unlock does occasionally fail. At the moment I can only unlock the driver’s door and the boot. The other locks won’t work. I’m sure I just need to reset but it’s annoying. 
I normally  let my son have my car when I change, but not sure it’s a car I want to pass on due to all the glitches. He’ll have to keep the 2015 model for an extra bit of time. Means my husband won’t get to change from his 2011 to the 2015. That’s how we pass them around. Not going to happen this time I don’t think. And also with electric on the horizon maybe good just to pause until the right car is available. 

And I still have stress when I’m on a steep hill start junction. Like today. Will the car pull away?Or will it roll back! 
wish I just had a handbrake. 
🤦‍♀️

I have the same problems. The door problem is your battery is less than 70% if you do some long trips that will sort it out. On hill starts you can use hill start assist or just turn on auto brakes which is the button behind the handbrake switch. Make sure the button is lit, then every time you stop press the brake peddle a bit harder once you have stopped and a green "A" will appear above the centre speedo, it locks all the wheels until you find the bite, unlike hill start assist that only works for 1.5 seconds after you press the brake peddle. It works on any hill and also on the flat. it is handy at the traffic lights if you are last in the queue as it applies the brake lights while the brakes are on. 

Yesterday I received the same error message on my Feb 2019 Focus ST Line X. It was in the garage 2.5 weeks ago for a software update due to the Sync system freezing every time I used the car (reversing camera getting stuck on, sat nav and clock freezing etc) so I doubt it’s a software update issue. I’ll try fuse 11 and hope for the best 🤞

On 7/23/2020 at 11:43 AM, Phil-Titanium said:

I have the same problems. The door problem is your battery is less than 70% if you do some long trips that will sort it out. On hill starts you can use hill start assist or just turn on auto brakes which is the button behind the handbrake switch. Make sure the button is lit, then every time you stop press the brake peddle a bit harder once you have stopped and a green "A" will appear above the centre speedo, it locks all the wheels until you find the bite, unlike hill start assist that only works for 1.5 seconds after you press the brake peddle. It works on any hill and also on the flat. it is handy at the traffic lights if you are last in the queue as it applies the brake lights while the brakes are on. 

You are missing Gilli's point the Auto Hold function turns off for no reason and is very intermittent and you cant rely on it.

It drives me mad!!!!

Hello again!    Whilst absolutely enjoying every minute with our "new" Skoda Scala, I thought it would make you all feel better to know that electronics problems are not just unique to the Focus after all.  Guess what, we have a problem with the infotainment system, in that when you switch on the ignition and it has loaded, it tells you "Software Update available".  So you hit "ok" and it duly tells you it is loading, etc. and before long its changed to "Software up to date".  Good.   Next time you switch on the ignition, lo and behold, a software update is available, you let it load, and its all up to date again - except that next time you switch on ...............    I have put a thread on the Skoda equivalent of this forum, and it turns out there are others out there with similar problems.   Because of Covid I have not been to the local dealer yet, but it does seem that the car companies have a way to go yet to get their computing electronics as reliable as their engines.

822DF924-2557-4C21-95AD-7DE35C043EB6.thumb.jpeg.d1e1714dcd2409bf05b316dd8f2d97a7.jpeg

Looks like it’s my turn.. had the car for a month now and this come up for the first time today in the middle of a couple hour journey.. my start stop / auto hold do seem to be working at this stage.

Do ford actually have a fix for this yet or is it a waste of time booking it in?

4 minutes ago, simps100 said:

822DF924-2557-4C21-95AD-7DE35C043EB6.thumb.jpeg.d1e1714dcd2409bf05b316dd8f2d97a7.jpeg

Looks like it’s my turn.. had the car for a month now and this come up for the first time today in the middle of a couple hour journey.. my start stop / auto hold do seem to be working at this stage.

Do ford actually have a fix for this yet or is it a waste of time booking it in?

There was no software update for mine (already on latest version), but they did a module reset and internal battery reset. So there are things they can do.

23 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

There was no software update for mine (already on latest version), but they did a module reset and internal battery reset. So there are things they can do.

Ok thank you booked it in - the person on the phone knew the error word for word so am guessing they are getting a lot for this!

I have this error now ."Emergency call system malfunction, service required." Where is this fuse no 11 please.

So I got this last week for a couple of days but I’ve not actually had it pop up since - car is still due in on the 17th but worried they won’t do anything if it’s not actually happening when I take it in!