Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spare tyre Vignale

JanWebster

Hi Andy - ingenious solution - well done!

My girlfriend has just bought a Fiesta Vignale and we plan to do what you have managed to do. 

Would you be able to advise on the dimensions of the supporting panel you have built and where you were able to get the threaded stud rod?

Cheers

Martin

Hi Andy - ingenious solution - well done!
My girlfriend has just bought a Fiesta Vignale and we plan to do what you have managed to do. 
Would you be able to advise on the dimensions of the supporting panel you have built and where you were able to get the threaded stud rod?
Cheers
Martin

Hi Martin, the threaded stud came from our local ironmongers. The measurements, I’ll be honest with you without going to the car and measuring it, I can’t remember; if I get a chance, I’ll measure it and let you know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• 1 month later...

I have a Fiesta Titanium 2018 3 door with Panoramic Sunroof and it has 16” alloys ( no B and O sound system ) - yes you can fit a full size 16”  steel or alloy wheel of the same size tyre in the floor cutout area however the wheel and tyre will leave a bulge in the floor carpet as the tyre is a little too wide at 195cm to fit under the carpet so just use some foam carpet squares etc cut yourself to size to build up the floor at the edges of the cut out  - this need be no more than 3 cm thick and you will have a level boot floor with a full size spare wheel of the same spec as the wheels you have on the car - 195 / 55 / 16 - I am in the process of doing this. I have sourced everything except the model number for the scissor jack !! 

• 1 year later...
On 5/23/2019 at 7:21 AM, Jollyandy said:

ddcc63a04d59d50379b82b60d0817fc5.jpg
Here’s how the boot of the car looks now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow that looks very professional,  how did you fix/level ut an size it?? Any tips  or advice?

Wow that looks very professional,  how did you fix/level ut an size it?? Any tips  or advice?

No, there’s no actual tips, just follow the photo instructions, and remember the old rule - measure twice, cut once. Incidentally since then, I’ve removed the false floor and re-located the sub into a sealed box in the boot.

Ford have now moved the B&O subwoofer from the spare-wheel-well to behind the RHS boot trim. Has anyone any thoughts as to whether this could be retro-bodged by those of us with subwoofers sitting on a garage shelf?

• 8 months later...
On 7/12/2019 at 6:32 PM, Jollyandy said:

You’re more than welcome Vince, glad it’s been of some use to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Andy. Ive recently bought a vignale and wondered about the spare and ive just come across your conversation and solution. Brilliant idea but i was just wondering what size spare wheel you have ( my car has 18 inch wheels on) and where you got it from?.Thanks. Ian

On 10/21/2020 at 3:18 PM, JanWebster said:

Ford have now moved the B&O subwoofer from the spare-wheel-well to behind the RHS boot trim. Has anyone any thoughts as to whether this could be retro-bodged by those of us with subwoofers sitting on a garage shelf?

But then I would no longer have a garage doorstop 🙂

On 6/28/2021 at 10:07 PM, Sham69 said:

Hi Andy. Ive recently bought a vignale and wondered about the spare and ive just come across your conversation and solution. Brilliant idea but i was just wondering what size spare wheel you have ( my car has 18 inch wheels on) and where you got it from?.Thanks. Ian

Hi Ian, I bought 15” space saver wheel and jack from eBay. Mine has 17” alloys, but as the profile of your tyres are less than mine, it should still fit ok. 

• 8 months later...
On 7/7/2019 at 2:37 PM, Jollyandy said:

As promised here are the photos:
b0fa5d9f93fdb04d1adc2e5ea953d94c.jpg

This shows the sub and the space saver in the spare wheel well, note the carpet on the boot floor so the box doesn’t rattle.

4538cd17bd2f065adbf4d4f692ea3f77.jpg

The open end of the box that faces the back of the car, note the fabric that I’ve stuck on the corners of the box, so the boot trim doesn’t get damaged. The fabric is in fact Velcro. Before I stuck the Velcro on, I sanded the corners round.

ec6b2c009eacbe712fd084a3680590a3.jpg

Top view of the box out of the car.

f2ea61700c5eb5fbaa1b32a139693413.jpg

Box in place in the car.

222f8feab7af404ef58b9305629a388b.jpg

Left-hand edge of box against boot trim, showing more Velcro tape stuck to boot trim, to keep any damage to trim to a minimum when lifting box for access.

c087902abc42cdeb08c28183950666e3.jpg

As above, only this time right-hand side of boot.

1d623a89bc127e3f0e36130e775922a9.jpg

Original boot mat, tucked down behind rear seats and rear edge of box. This is not a perfect solution, as the rear seats do need moving to remove the box and therefore the spare wheel; however for £20 for the materials and and old piece of carpet I’m quite pleased with the result. It’s not as good as the optional boot floor that can be ordered with the car (not sure of parts are available for retrofit), but neither does it pretend to be.

Hi. Do you have the measurements for the box and what size is your space saver? 
thanks pete 

• 10 months later...

Hello. Just joined today. My question has probably been answered before so apologies if that is so. I have a 2019 Fiesta Vignale with the boot subwoofer. I also enjoy my music and want to retain it. However a recent incident with a family member having to be recovered has just confirmed that I want to add a space saver.

My boot is empty and I wonder if I can simply put a spare in there. Is it deep enough for it to lay flat?

Car is on the optional 18 inch alloys. So in addition to the above what size wheel should I look for? Not that I will run around on the space saver any longer than is required to repair or replace the tyre.

Thanks and regards.

I find the bass on the standard system is perfectly deep and punchy enough (and more than adequately loud) in my 2019 Titanium. Being ex- Moog, Dolby, Soundcraft and Sennheiser test departments, I'd back my own opinion on that.

Fortunately my Pan roof three door has a well into which a 165/14 steel fits with a jack kit. It doesn't take up any bootspace at all. I think that  the issue was weight affecting emissions  which caused the spare to be deleted. I just regard mine as luggage, carefully secured!

17 hours ago, Noak Hill said:

I have a 2019 Fiesta Vignale with the boot subwoofer. 

Hi Andrew,

Is the sub woofer in what would otherwise be the spare wheel well or is it in the sidewall of the boot? The positioning was changed in later cars and, if the latter arrangement, you should have no trouble fitting a spacesaver in the well below the boot floor.

44 minutes ago, anon said:

. I think that  the issue was weight affecting emissions  which caused the spare to be deleted.

Yes, I think that was one issue, which only affected cars with pan roof as standard or as an option.

The other was the original subwoofer positioning affecting cars with B&O as mentioned above, though members have found plenty of ways round that as described in this thread.

Originally you couldn't specify a spare as a factory order with B&O or pan roof, though that changed (in respect of the B&O) when the subwoofer was relocated. 

(The situation must have changed yet again on the facelifted cars as my local dealer currently has an unregistered ST-Line Vignale 155 sat in the showroom with a pan roof and a factory spare!)

That is because the emissions have been recalculated to fit WLTP I'll bet. My 2019 car is supposed to have a GPF but was built in Feb 18 so fits into the old categorisation. 97 g/m. I suppose the spare puts it up a fraction and pushes it into the next band. Today they come out at 107 so it doesn't matter so much and the punters don't like buying a car without a spare.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, anon said:

That is because the emissions have been recalculated to fit WLTP I'll bet.

Yes, I'm sure you're right.

It seems to have been recalculated several times. My car is 102 g/km on the V5C. For some reason (which I can't remember now!😀) I kept a note of the various changes to g/km on price lists. 

So by May 18 it was 117, down again to 116 by September, down further to 112 on the Feb, April and July lists, and 109 on Nov 19 and Jan 20 lists, after which the 140 was replaced by the 155 Mhev.

The showroom car I mentioned earlier seems to have been a cancelled order as the ST-Line Vignale has now reverted to bring the ST-Line X and the spare wheel situation also seems to have changed again as the option has vanished from the price list. My dealer advised if I wanted another new Fiesta they would have to source a spare wheel (if required) as a spare part or they would be happy to swap mine over.

Hello. Just joined today. I have a 2019 Fiesta Vignale with the boot subwoofer. I also enjoy my music and want to retain it. However a recent incident with a family member having to be recovered has just confirmed that I want to add a space saver.

My boot is empty and I wonder if I can simply put a spare in there. Is it deep enough for it to lay flat?

Car is on the optional 18 inch alloys. So in addition to the above what size wheel should I look for? Not that I will run around on the space saver any longer than is required to repair or replace the tyre.

Hello. My sub is in the spare wheel well.

I am happy to carry a space saver as luggage in my empty boot as long as it lays flat. If someone can confirm a wheel will fit this way and what size I can go to it would be appreciated.

46 minutes ago, Noak Hill said:

what size I can go to 

Wheel sizes are pretty well covered in this other thread running at the moment:

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/141597-spare-wheel-for-titanium-x-mk8/

A spacesaver should fit on top of the boot floor with no problem if you don't mind losing the boot space, but see @Jollyandy's posts earlier in this thread for a neater solution.

Thanks Roger. Appreciate your comments. The wheel shop have a 16 inch spacesaver. Apparently it's suitable for cars fitted with up to 18 inch factory whels like mine. I wonder if that would make it suitable for temporary use on both the front and rear axles? I had some knowledge previously about potential ABS and other issues when using a spacesaver. The thread you recommended .also discusses this as well as potentially having to change two wheels. Issues I would want to avoid like most of us!

Wondering if the 16 inch would prevent all these potential issues for the short time it would be fitted.

Whilst of course still laying flat in my boot?

Also saw the other storage solutions. Very ingenious and a credit to their creators. 

However as I say my boot is empty. Just me and the missus so always the back seat for luggage if needed. Supermarket delivers the shopping!😊

Don't get to hung up on the size of the wheel rim. Remember that in general that space saver tyres have high side walls, so it is the overall diameter of the wheel and tyre combination that you should be considering.

A 16" rim with a space saver tyre won't be much smaller than an 18" rim with a low profile tyre.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Noak Hill said:

potentially having to change two wheels. Issues I would want to avoid like most of us!

Not the issue on a 1.0 which has fairly small brake disks. Only really arises on an ST where the 14" spacesaver won't clear the ( larger) front discs, so a 15" spacesaver is specified there.

• Like 1

Thanks Roger. Appreciate your comments. The wheel shop have a 16 inch spacesaver. Apparently it's suitable for cars fitted with up to 18 inch factory whels like mine. I wonder if that would make it suitable for temporary use on both the front and rear axles? I had some knowledge previously about potential ABS and other issues when using a spacesaver. The thread you recommended .also discusses this as well as potentially having to change two wheels. Issues I would want to avoid like most of us!

Wondering if the 16 inch would prevent all these potential issues for the short time it would be fitted.

Whilst of course still laying flat in my boot?

Also saw the other storage solutions. Very ingenious and a credit to their creators. 

However as I say my boot is empty. Just me and the missus so always the back seat for luggage if needed. Supermarket delivers the shopping!😊

Thanks again for all the comments. It seems to be down to what size wheel would work for me with regard to smallest size, it working on both front and rear axles and boot storage. I will of course make the final decision but would really appreciate your comments. So many different options out there.

Thanks!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club