Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering Wheel Chrome Trim Issue

scott2121210

Is anyone else experiencing this issue where the chrome trim on steering wheel is lifting and peeling? I have attached a picture to demonstrate my concern.

Recently, I sliced my finger when operating the right sided steering wheel controls.

I dropped by my local Ford garage who informed me that, although they aren't aware of said issue on Kuga's, they know it to be a problem on other models. I asked them if they would replace the steering wheel due to it not being simple wear and tear, but they said no because car is out of warranty. I was quoted in excess of £600 to replace the whole steering wheel because it doesn't come in parts. I Informed Ford I was unhappy with this to which they said I should contact Ford UK for some kind of resolution.

I contacted Ford UK who weren't interested at all, until I mentioned slicing my finger. They duly noted my concerns and asked me to contact my insurance company.

I contacted my insurance company who advised me that I am not covered in relation to the issue I have with the steering wheel.

I feel as though I am stuck and do not know what to do next. I am extremely reluctant to fork out £600 for something which is no fault of my own.

Any advice?

IMG_20190522_123106808.jpg

It's very common on the Mk3 Focus.  Cheapest and easiest fix would be vinyl wrap.

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

It's very common on the Mk3 Focus.  Cheapest and easiest fix would be vinyl wrap.

I think the Focus was one of the models Ford mentioned when I spoke to them about the issue.

Could you give me more details about the vinyl wrap, that's something I will have to consider? Thank you.

4 hours ago, scott2121210 said:

I think the Focus was one of the models Ford mentioned when I spoke to them about the issue.

Could you give me more details about the vinyl wrap, that's something I will have to consider? Thank you.

Vinyl wrap is basically just a big sticker!  I don't think you can buy it pre-cut in the shape of the Ford airbag yet so you would have to buy a large peice and cut it to shape yourself.  There's a good guide showing the process here.

https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-interior-mods-upgrades/551098-vinyl-steering-wheel-wrap-peeling-silver-trim.html#/topics/551098?page=1

27 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Vinyl wrap is basically just a big sticker!  I don't think you can buy it pre-cut in the shape of the Ford airbag yet so you would have to buy a large peice and cut it to shape yourself.  There's a good guide showing the process here.

https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-interior-mods-upgrades/551098-vinyl-steering-wheel-wrap-peeling-silver-trim.html#/topics/551098?page=1

Thanks for this, looks really good...can't say this for my DIY skills 😀

For UK Customer Relations Team phoned me today. Having discussed the issue they assured me that they are now looking into the matter and will phone me back on Friday to update me. At least that sounds a bit more positive 😊

• 1 year later...

I have the same issue and checked with the main dealer who said I'd have to change the whole airbag part... surely this is just a bit of trim? You can find an equivalent part on eBay! Anyone got any helpful follow up status please?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club