Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Home made immobiliser?

Ubetcha

Yesterday I had to check one of my fuses in my fuse tap as my dash cam had stopped working.

Note to self, it's really difficult to remove a mini blade fuse from a fuse tap in situ and of course the rain started to batter down whilst I was laying with my head under the passenger foot well and the passenger door wide open.

It turned out the fuse was fine and my son must of knocked the cigarette lighter adaptor as the slightest wiggle got it working again. However i discovered something today which got me thinking?

I've fuse tapped fuse #86 - 

86 10 Restraint system, occupant classification system, passenger air bag deactivation indicator, manual air conditioning heater module

Have you ever tried to start your engine with fuse #86 removed? It didn't start for me when I tried to drive the car from the side of the house in an attempt to gain shelter from the rain, into the garage.

So that got me thinking, especially in these times of keyless thefts.

Could you switch your #86 fuse by using a homemade fuse extension, hide a switch somewhere in your car and then if somebody did try to steal it using RF keyless repeater at least the engine wouldn't start?

I was thinking of something like this for the switched home made fuse extension with a couple of tweeks..

Just wondered what you guys think of this idea?

32 minutes ago, Ubetcha said:

Note to self, it's really difficult to remove a mini blade fuse from a fuse tap in situ ...

Treat yourself to one of these and throw it in your glove compartment. Of course, a pair of needle nosed pliers do the same job but not many carry those about!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Auto-Blade-Ato-Mini-Glass-Fuse-Puller-Insertion-Removal-Tool-Uk-Freepost/281795263330?fits=Car+Make%3AMini&epid=1442923542&hash=item419c4e7b62:g:T8UAAOSw0T9cXwj4

This reminded me of my dads Sierra that I passed my test in and ferried my mates around. It had a toggle switch immobiliser, I think back then it was just wired to the coil.

Funny that with the factory fitted Thatcham kit a simple hidden DIY affair could protect your car better if the thieves were using the technology to bypass your keyless entry and start.

8 minutes ago, WES180 said:

This reminded me of my dads Sierra that I passed my test in and ferried my mates around. It had a toggle switch immobiliser, I think back then it was just wired to the coil.

Funny that with the factory fitted Thatcham kit a simple hidden DIY affair could protect your car better if the thieves were using the technology to bypass your keyless entry and start.

Seeing as we're off topic (sorry OP) it also reminds me of my first car, a Datsun 120Y (I'm quite old LOL) where I installed a toggle switch immobiliser but I added the quality of 'stealth' to the switch in that I hid it behind the ash tray in the dash, easily removed by just pulling! An absolute nuisance to live with, but very 'james bond' LOL

I cannot advise on the use of fuse #86.

I can tell you that I successfully installed a hidden switch on the final wire to the fuel pump. It was that effective that when Mrs ScaniaPBman called the AA out because the car would not start, it defeated him as well.

ScaniaPBman.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you wanted something not homemade the Ghost Immobiliser looks quite cool.

It allows you to set a code of upto20 presses using all the buttons in the vehicle.

8 hours ago, ScaniaPBman said:

I cannot advise on the use of fuse #86.

I can tell you that I successfully installed a hidden switch on the final wire to the fuel pump. It was that effective that when Mrs ScaniaPBman called the AA out because the car would not start, it defeated him as well.

ScaniaPBman.

Likewise here.  It's the simplest and most effective way to immobilise the car.  As you say, you have to remember to switch it back on!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club