Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RIP Edge

Hamster

Well, sadly I can confirm the rumours. Production of the RHD Edge for UK ends mid-September.

Lets see what they replace it with.

😠

Best Car I've ever owned.

H

19 minutes ago, Hamster said:

Lets see what they replace it with.

Someone on the FB group in Norway said it was going to be replaced by the Explorer! I've heard a 7 seat Kuga may be heading this way, but looking at the way Ford are looking at streamlining and re-jigging their European presence ... absolutely ANY could happen! lol 

PS. ... and NO, @Hamster, I'm not putting a bet on this one either!

That's OK, I'm still trying to remember where I've seen the Air-Con thing written down. Maybe it isn't and i just heard it at a training review.

I emailed a Dealer and there's an All New Kuga and a New Puma coming our way....................................

H

What is the problem? Lack of sales?

Sales figures for the Edge have been disappointing by Fords standard. Got to think it's down to price, BMW and Merc offer far better built cars for same price.

1 hour ago, bluepeter said:

Sales figures for the Edge have been disappointing by Fords standard. Got to think it's down to price

The launch in the UK has been a disaster by Ford from the start ...

• The first models over were old US Sync2 stock. (Which got absolutely slated in UK reviews) 
  • They changed the specs and colours just a month after they officially launched.
  • Even after launch, dealers didn't get the promotional materials, colour swatches, trim swatches, etc needed to actually sell the cars. Finding an EDGE in the colour/trim I wanted took me 3 days driving around all the Ford dealerships in the Cheshire/Staffordshire/Manchester area to find one I could actually look at.
  • The launch was not really advertised in the media and neither has the car since (1 advert and recently included in a brief new advert for the Ford SUV range).
  • Initial waiting times for delivery was 5-6 months.
  • Build quality is shocking.
  • Loads of reliability problems.
  • Some dealers don't get sales or technical training until 3 months after the official launch (9 months after the first cars were in the showrooms).
  • Some dealers 2 years after launch still don't know how to (or want to) handle some of the faults and refuse to accept they are faults.
  • The number of recalls (3) in 18 months on a car which has already been out in the US/Canada for 18 months is not good.
  • Big Price increase 6 months after launch.
  • Tax on diesels hiked up and Ford still refuse to release a petrol model in the UK/EU.
  • 18 months after launch, the car gets a face lift (and another massive price hike) ... and still no petrol options, whilst the new price takes the diesel tax to new eye watering levels!
  • oh, and did I mention the build quality and reliability?
  • Sync update issues/process (just a total mess) and lack of any real updates on a system just gagging for regular feature enhancements (no updates over WiFi in the UK).
  • Ford have decided to stop production of right hand drive models in Oakville to save costs.

So, all-in-all, its hardy surprising why the EDGE and Ford as a whole are currently going through the worst ever period in the their history. Someone at Ford UK needs SACKING. Someone at Ford marketing needs SACKING, someone at Oakville quality dept needs SACKING.

I'm glad Ford have taken the bold (and overdue) move to re-structure (but not for those dedicated workers who loose their jobs because of it). I just hope that they are looking at the operational, technical and quality improvements and not just hacking away portions of the business in order to purely cut costs. 

Sadly, I think that's why the EDGE didn't really stand a chance in the UK and is ending in September 2019!

Still ❤️ mine though!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluepeter said:

BMW and Merc offer far better built cars for same price.

Might be better build quality, but you do get more features for you cash in the EDGE. Price up a similar spec'd BMW, Merc or Audi and your looking at £7K to £10K more! (went though that exercise before I bought my fully loaded EDGE).

• Like 1

First off the Edge was the wrong US SUV to bring here. The mid size market has too many brands competing for sales and a £38k plus Ford does not have a chance even if it came with more spec. Most German or JLR product are leased for 2-3 years & are pre built in standard spec because the UK market is mostly about the badge. My Edge has also been very unreliable and has been in the dealers for a total of 3 months. Luckily it's going back in September. Other negatives as previously mentioned were lack of engines, priced way too high,and poor promotion from Ford. I also find it lacking luggage space. I regularly travel to Boston and I am able to get all bags in the rear of the hire car (usually an Explorer) but when back at Heathrow I have to put the rear seats down to get everything in so might as well get and estate car for 15K less. 

There was talk that the new 2019 Explorer was coming over to Europe and yes it is but only to LHD markets which is another poor poor decision from Ford but understandable due to the Brexit madness! What is missing from the UK market is a full size non premium 7 seater so in another time that vehicle could have succeeded.

The amount of reviews that say the Edge is massive and too big for British roads can put people off as well, it isn't too big  and also why do reviews of the Q7, RR, BMW X7 and other full size SUVs never mention this. Is it the its from the US so is must be big mentality.  If they were reviewing the The Expedition Max then I would understand.

Lastly I do get the feeling that Ford once the Mondeo has gone will no longer have larger vehicles on offer in RHD markets so maybe with their cost cutting RHD markets are too much bother and they will slowly pull out only offering product to global LHD markets.

I am moving back to Massachusetts last autumn/fall so will be able to buy a proper Ford again. 

Perhaps it's a bit like noone buys the Mondeo anymore, and before that cars like the Senator or Granada.  If you want a big car you'll buy "premium" and PCP makes that even easier these days.

Mind you when both the A class and the new 1 series are now FWD what really sets them apart from a Focus except for branding?  

The one thing I'll miss when I trade my C in is RWD, but not enough that I was willing to stump up double the deposit I needed for the Focus.

So let’s stand by for the resale values to plummet like very large stones. Nobody will want to buy a second hand Edge if they no longer make them in RHD form as parts will become very scarce. Worse than they are currently. 

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 12:45 PM, Edge of Reason said:

So let’s stand by for the resale values to plummet like very large stones. Nobody will want to buy a second hand Edge if they no longer make them in RHD form as parts will become very scarce. Worse than they are currently. 

This is not what I want to be hearing. I put plenty of extras on my Edge with he hope of maybe keeping it when my pcp plan comes to an end in September next year.

Are parts/ body panels etc that hard to come by? With my edge under warranty, I have had a recall and a couple of other issues sorted by ford over 3 days because of ordering parts. Although cheesed off at the time it did get sorted relatively handy I suppose. 

Isn't the running gear, suspension and inside etc from existing Fords?

The majority of running gear is from the Mondeo, so mechanical parts shouldn’t be an issue.  Body parts however will be a little less available.  Let’s face it, the Edge has been in the UK for about 3 years now and they are still very rare.  I’ve still never seen a face lifted Edge in the flesh yet and can’t recall the last time I saw of the pre-face lift, other than the reflection of mine in a shop window !

25 minutes ago, Edge of Reason said:

The majority of running gear is from the Mondeo, so mechanical parts shouldn’t be an issue.  Body parts however will be a little less available.  Let’s face it, the Edge has been in the UK for about 3 years now and they are still very rare.  I’ve still never seen a face lifted Edge in the flesh yet and can’t recall the last time I saw of the pre-face lift, other than the reflection of mine in a shop window !

Yes I agree with you that they're quite rare and like you said, I haven't seen a new model yet either. Not even in my local Ford garage! 

• 2 months later...

I picked up a new ST Line three weeks ago and it’s already had the dreaded active steering malfunction message, but other than this it is a really nice car.

DE6C962B-8959-495C-B0E0-840EBF5E511F.jpeg

When I got my Edge Sport, I wanted it in Magnetic Grey, but you couldn’t get one that colour. Only the Titanium. Bit miffed now the car, albeit called something different, is now available in Magnetic. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That's a real shame. I was seriously considering an Edge next year to replace my Focus. It fits the bill for everything I want. Automatic so the missus can drive it, looks awesome in the black finish, enough room for a Marshall stack and drum kit... but if it's going bye bye, I guess it's back to the drawing board.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club