Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta has same fuel consumption as Focus ?

FiestaBuyer200

I'm browsing for a replacement for my 2011 Fiesta 1.25.

According to the current PDF brochures on the Ford website, the Fiesta and Focus have pretty much the same fuel consumption:

Fiesta Zetec 1.0 EcoBoost manual 100PS 5 door: Best fuel consumption: 50.4 mpg. Best CO2: 108 g/km. Weight: 1190kg.

Focus Zetec 1.0 EcoBoost manual 100PS 5 door: Best fuel consumption: 50.4mpg. Best CO2: 107 g/km. Weight 1322kg.

The Focus brochure mentions cylinder deactivation, but the Fiesta brochure does not. Could this explain the Fiesta's lack of better efficiency, and is that feature likely to be added to the Fiesta in future? I realise these test figures won't be achievable in reality, but are the real-life figures for the Fiesta and Focus likely to be so close? Has anyone done a real-life comparison of fuel consumption?

The brochures are at:

https://www.ford.co.uk/content/dam/guxeu/uk/documents/brochures/cars/BRO-All_New_Fiesta.pdf

https://www.ford.co.uk/content/dam/guxeu/uk/documents/brochures/cars/BRO-new_ford_focus.pdf

I haven't compared these, but on previous comparable engines the Focus and Fiesta do get similar MPG in real world driving.  If your only reason for sticking with a Fiesta over a Focus is MPG then I'd advise against that.

50mpg seems awful for book figures on either, but that will be due to the real world tests they have to carry out for book figures since 2018.

Both will have the cylinder deactivation as far as I'm aware.

13 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I haven't compared these, but on previous comparable engines the Focus and Fiesta do get similar MPG in real world driving.  If your only reason for sticking with a Fiesta over a Focus is MPG then I'd advise against that.

50mpg seems awful for book figures on either, but that will be due to the real world tests they have to carry out for book figures since 2018.

Both will have the cylinder deactivation as far as I'm aware.

Not 100% sure on this, but I believe deactivation is so far only on the new 1.5 fitted in the Fiesta ST and Focus Mk 4,   and the revamped 1.0 (reversed head, chain cam) in the Focus Mk 4

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Not 100% sure on this, but I believe deactivation is so far only on the new 1.5 fitted in the Fiesta ST and Focus Mk 4,   and the revamped 1.0 (reversed head, chain cam) in the Focus Mk 4

Fair enough, happy to be proved wrong!  I'm sure I read that the revamped 1.0 was fitted to the Mk8 Fiesta but maybe not.  It'll be a pain to swap it in mid production, so they'll probably wait for the Mk8.5 if it's not already fitted.

2 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Fair enough, happy to be proved wrong 

As I say, I'm not 100% on this but I think @iantt mentioned on another thread that the gpf had been fitted to the (otherwise unrevised) 1.0 in the Fiesta. 

• Like 3

Honest John

Unlike laboratory tests, Real MPG gives real world data from real drivers and allows owners and buyers to see how much on-the-road fuel a vehicle really uses. 

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/real-mpg/

shows the Focus has better MPG:

Ford Fiesta (2017 on) 1.0T EcoBoost 100          57.7–60.1       Official MPG               32.5–53.0 Real MPG             43.2 Real MPG Average       73% of official MPG

Ford Focus (2018 on) 1.0 EcoBoost 100             60.1                Official MPG               43.1–65.0 Real MPG             54.1Real MPG Average       90%of official MPG

Perhaps Focus drivers are more light footed?

26 minutes ago, Tiexen said:

Honest John

Unlike laboratory tests, Real MPG gives real world data from real drivers and allows owners and buyers to see how much on-the-road fuel a vehicle really uses. 

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/real-mpg/

shows the Focus has better MPG:

Ford Fiesta (2017 on) 1.0T EcoBoost 100          57.7–60.1       Official MPG               32.5–53.0 Real MPG             43.2 Real MPG Average       73% of official MPG

Ford Focus (2018 on) 1.0 EcoBoost 100             60.1                Official MPG               43.1–65.0 Real MPG             54.1Real MPG Average       90%of official MPG

Perhaps Focus drivers are more light footed?

New cars are also tested in real world scenarios so the book figures should be achievable on anything tested from 2018 onwards.

I haven't found the honest john figures to be anywhere near my own over a range of cars...  It only takes one fool to completely change the result...  I mean, how does anyone get 32mpg from a Fiesta!?  It's either broken or used for 1 mile a day which isn't helpful to anyone.  Equally, 65mpg over a tankful isn't possible from a Focus...even if they were slip streaming a lorry at 55mph for hours.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

As I say, I'm not 100% on this but I think @iantt mentioned on another thread that the gpf had been fitted to the (otherwise unrevised) 1.0 in the Fiesta. 

Yeah, still the older version engine fitted to fiesta. 

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club