Peteweb

Fuelling issue

HELP HELP HELP!!! 

I've recently bought a mondeo 1.8 tdci and was running perfectly until this morning. It cut out almost instantly after starting and after abit of fiddling I found no fuel coming out of the fuel lines, the filter is only filled about an inch. 

It tries to start then dies a few seconds. 

Could this be the in tank pump or high pressure pump? 

I've had codes scanned using a snap on ethos and no codes are stored/active/pending

I think there's a tank pump on these, unlike the Focus?  If so, you'll need to find out why it's not priming.  There will be a fuse for it somewhere so worth checking that hasn't blown.

The HP pump is after the filter so that's not the issue here.

I'm not 100% on the in tank pump, I've different replys elsewhere. One saying there is an in tank pump and another saying its a fuel sender. If it has its not accessible from in the car, its guna be a tank off job 

6 hours ago, Peteweb said:

One saying there is an in tank pump and another saying its a fuel sender.

On 7zap.com, it says just a sender unit for the diesels.

If the early version (2000 - 2007): https://ford.7zap.com/en/car/99/no/0/2307/18311/80208/

If the later version (2007 - 2014): https://ford.7zap.com/en/car/39/no/23/1559/15555/67845/

This site seems to be generally quite reliable, and can be cross checked by googling the part nos, 1360593 or 1500999 or 1500998.

If it is just a sender, the first stage is to get the fuel system fully primed, using a priming bulb or pump on the inlet (tank) side of the filter is best, to fill the filter then ram fuel into the high pressure pump as hard as you can. Then try to start.

If it runs, then won't start after standing for a while, it is likely that air is getting into the fuel system, maybe a cracked hose, leaky fitting or loose or bad gasket in the fuel filter. With no tank pump, air tends to be drawn in, fuel seldom leaks out.

Everything so far is pointing towards the pump. Against better judgement, I cracked off the fuel feed line from hp pump to injector distributor and not a drop came out (surely this should be gushing out) 

43 minutes ago, Peteweb said:

I cracked off the fuel feed line from hp pump to injector distributor and not a drop came out (surely this should be gushing out) 

The diesel pumps on these cars will not suck air. Once air gets into the inlet side they will do nothing. The filter, pipe to the pump and the low pressure stage of the pump must be filled with fuel before they start to work. Hence the absolute need to prime the system, with enough force to get fuel into the LP stage. They are two stage pumps. Once the LP stage has fuel it will soon force fuel into the HP stage and force all air out of the HP (metal) piping.