Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Considering a 180bhp 2017 ST-Line X

TimST2

As per the title. That or a Volvo XC60 or Land Rover Discovery Sport.

Any advice or opinions welcome...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Not able to comment on the Kuga, however my and friends experiences with LR not good, eg we parted with a new Freelander 2 after 4 months, friends grateful to wave goodbye to an Evoque which kept breaking down and was not solved by a complete engine replacement, other friends had Disco suspension collapse the day after warranty ran out, neighbours very quickly swapped their Evoque for an Audi Q3. Meanwhile another friend is happily on his second XC60 (his fifth Volvo in a row while I've known him).😀

Evening

Are you looking at petrol or diesel? I only ask this as my friend has a petrol titanium and is only averaging 26.4mpg.

I personally wouldn't go for a Land Rover as I have heard horror stories about reliability but Volvo's reliability record is good as far as I know.

Hope this helps

Open to suggestions regarding petrol or diesel. Useless fuel economy is no good, but LEZs are also a concern.

It will replace a diesel Honda CRV 2.2 C-TDi Sport as our family car (and Mrs. TimST2's main car)...

Definitely go for the Volvo out of those options.  

Fuel economy won't be great on a car of that size on diesel, let alone petrol lol.  Does MrsT do much mileage during the week or is the car used for short runs to school and Tesco etc?  DPF might be an issue if she's not doing much mileage.  I'm guessing your current CRV is old enough not to have a DPF?

Are there going to be any LEZ's down in the west country?  If it's just for occasional holidays or day trips it's probably cheaper to pay the charge than run a petrol permanently.

I'm guessing your budget doesn't stretch to a hybrid...  XC60 T8 would be awesome...  375bhp & 100mpg!! :biggrin: 

12 hours ago, TimST2 said:

It will replace a diesel Honda CRV 2.2 C-TDi Sport

Out of interest, would you not consider another CRV, Tim? We have one friend who has very reluctantly replaced hers after 12 years (with a Vitara as she finds the current CRV a bit big for her needs.) Another friend was a long term Mercedes fan until he got his first CRV, and is now on his third! All these were petrols, btw.

On 6/3/2019 at 9:34 AM, TomsFocus said:
Definitely go for the Volvo out of those options.

Yes we're looking at the D4 R-Design.

Fuel economy won't be great on a car of that size on diesel, let alone petrol lol.  Does MrsT do much mileage during the week or is the car used for short runs to school and Tesco etc?  DPF might be an issue if she's not doing much mileage.  I'm guessing your current CRV is old enough not to have a DPF?

It'll be used for everything - commuting, school runs, holidays, days out, etc. No DPF on the CRV.

Are there going to be any LEZ's down in the west country?  If it's just for occasional holidays or day trips it's probably cheaper to pay the charge than run a petrol permanently.

None that I know of yet. Hopefully a new diesel would be exempt anyway.

I'm guessing your budget doesn't stretch to a hybrid...  XC60 T8 would be awesome...  375bhp & 100mpg!! [emoji3] 

Real world MPG isn't that good. But no, not planning on spending that much.

On 6/3/2019 at 11:14 AM, Eric Bloodaxe said:
Out of interest, would you not consider another CRV, Tim? We have one friend who has very reluctantly replaced hers after 12 years (with a Vitara as she finds the current CRV a bit big for her needs.) Another friend was a long term Mercedes fan until he got his first CRV, and is now on his third! All these were petrols, btw.

I don't think Mrs. TimST2 likes the new CRV.

How new are you looking?  Diesels have to be Euro 6 to be exempt from the current LEZ charge so around '65 plate onwards.

It sounds like you'll be doing enough mileage not to worry about DPF issue though, do I'd still go diesel personally.

On 6/3/2019 at 5:57 PM, TomsFocus said:
How new are you looking?  Diesels have to be Euro 6 to be exempt from the current LEZ charge so around '65 plate onwards.

Probably a 17 plate or newer.

• Like 1

So Mrs. TimST2 test drove a 2016 XC60 D4 R-Design and a 2018 Kuga ST-Line and wasn't convinced she liked either of them to fork out over £20k.

I guess a newer XC60 might still be on the cards but focus seems to have switched to Mercs now...

• 2 weeks later...

And today Mrs. TimST2 test drove a 2017 GLC and liked it rather more than the other two.

Still need to try the Discovery Sport...

So today we test drove a Discovery Sport. That dealer also had a V60 and a GLC in stock so I got to have a good look at all of them.

It's definitely between the GLC and the Discovery Sport. The GLC is without doubt the nicer car, but the Discovery Sport is bigger (both inside and the boot).

🤔

So to end this thread off we bought the GLC today.

The Kuga's a nice car, and it of course had the Ford heated windscreen, but in the end the GLC just seemed so much nicer.

Thanks for all the advice.

• Like 1

I had to Google what a GLC was!  :laugh:  Not sure if there aren't many about or  if it's just something I've never really noticed!  The luxury and refinement should be much better than either the Kuga or Discovery though, I'm surprised they were in the same price bracket.  Glad you've found a suitable replacement for the CRV. :smile: 

It was a bit more expensive, maybe about 35% more...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club