Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stop start intermittent

Laurac

Anyone else had problems with their start stop only working intermittently? 

Yep!  basically relies on the battery charge, so it depends on what type of journeys you take and whether you have everything on i.e. air con etc.

I find it works if I use the car daily and take it on long journeys.  as I don't use if for commuting this is fairly rare.

mine does the same , but the info display always gives me the reason , if it doesn't work its due to one of these reasons : vehicle charging , outside air temperature over 32 Celsius , AC or heater ON , driver's seatbelt unbuckled, or disabled by the auto start stop switch.

Where does it give you the reason? 

Just now, Sjwhite said:

Where does it give you the reason? 

on the instrument cluster display , select StartStop from the menu and you will see the reason when the feature doesn't work

Just now, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

on the instrument cluster display , select StartStop from the menu and you will see the reason when the feature doesn't work

Brilliant - thank you

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sjwhite said:

Brilliant - thank you

you are welcome my dear 🙂 

So it’s not something to worry about?

13 minutes ago, Laurac said:

So it’s not something to worry about?

I guess no need to worry , and if you are able to see the reason on the display when its not working then you are perfectly ok  🙂

1 hour ago, Laurac said:

Anyone else had problems with their start stop only working intermittently? 

Evening

I have the same issues as you. my stop/start doesn't work all the time even though when i start it up it lights up green in the middle of the dash, strangely though, it hasn't worked from December last year up until earlier on this week, i was shocked because i have got into the routine everytime i stop in traffic I put the car in neutral, take my foot off the clutch so it should kick in but it doesn't.

my commute is only 2 miles there and back so i know the engine doesn't get up to operating temperature but it might be down to the warmer weather we have been having so that it works.

hope this helps

Mine doesn't always work but it does after I've made a long journey so obviously depending on battery charge.

1.2 mile journey 4 times a day at this time of year stop always works by the end of the journey and this is with a parking mode camera giving the battery a hammering. Although this is with a 75 ah AGM battery fitted in place of the 60 ah EFB battery

• 2 weeks later...

The way the system works is when you stop it checks the battery charge level/state first, THEN makes a decision whether to switch the engine off.  If the system doesn’t judge the battery to have sufficient charge then it will keep the engine running in order to charge the battery or at least not deplete it further.  If the air con is running I don’t think it will activate start stop either, nor in certain environmental conditions.

Starting a car puts a lot of strain on the battery as does cold weather, so lots of starting in the cold is a nightmare scenario.  Short journeys with lots of stopping and starting really hammer the battery so it might take quite a few miles of continuous driving to recover it.  You could always charge it with a charger but make sure you get one designed for start/stop vehicles.

8 hours ago, tarbyonline said:

If the air con is running I don’t think it will activate start stop either, nor in certain environmental conditions.

When my stop/start is working it works whether the air con is on or off.

It depends on the cabin temperature.  If your AC is set to say 17c, but the cabin temp is 22c, the engine will keep running to power the AC compressor and cool the cabin.  If the temp is at an acceptable level around 17c, the stop start will stop the engine as the compressor is not needed at that point. 

On 6/12/2019 at 11:33 AM, TomsFocus said:

It depends on the cabin temperature.  If your AC is set to say 17c, but the cabin temp is 22c, the engine will keep running to power the AC compressor and cool the cabin.  If the temp is at an acceptable level around 17c, the stop start will stop the engine as the compressor is not needed at that point. 

This - the air con may be "on" but not actually "running".  It can also kick the engine after a few mins.  All depends on what the brain decides!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club