Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine making loud ticking / tapping

Elmo1612

Hi all.

My 2013 Focus 1.0L ecoboost has started making a loud ticking / tapping noise when idling and when driving. The oil was low but not below the marker so it was topped up. The noise briefly stopped but has come back again.

its hard to describe the noise. It almost sounds like a diesel but worse. 

Any suggestions at all please? 

What you're describing sounds like noisy tappets. When was the oil last changed?

At a guess around 2 years / 20,000 miles ago. 

Will it cure the issue to have an oil change done do you think??

Also, although I said its my Focus it is the girlfriends, so dont be mad at me for not changing the oil !!

come on mate... once a year !! 😂 or once every 6/10 thou is it?? 

On 6/4/2019 at 3:46 PM, Elmo1612 said:

At a guess around 2 years / 20,000 miles ago. 

Will it cure the issue to have an oil change done do you think??

Also, although I said its my Focus it is the girlfriends, so dont be mad at me for not changing the oil !!

😂😂 I could tell as soon as you asked the question the engine hasn't been looked after. If you're lucky then there will be little damage and the noise will go away with an oil change. Be unlucky and you've gummed the tappets and require a head rebuild. It should've had 2 oil changes in that time, so either way the oil needs doing.

You also haven't done your turbo any favours, it's a good way to slowly kill it!

And yet Ford have gone to 2 year/18,000 service intervals on the Mk 8 Fiesta without (as far as my dealers service dept knows) making any changes to the engine or oil specification.  I had mine changed at 12 months anyway.

Thanks all. Ford are replacing the engine for her. Its a split pipe from the coolant tank that has caused the issue so comes under their manufacture warranty and the recall issue.

She's lucky they are honouring the warranty given it's not been serviced in accordance with the stated intervals.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club