Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Knocking noise from rear left brake/wheel

gibbo1471

Hi everyone,

I replaced the rear discs and pads on my focus 2008 estate 1.8tdci 300mm discs pads are all the same size I am on holiday and noticed that there is an annoying clunck from the rear left when brake is not engaged even worst when going over bumps pot holes etc. But if I go over bumps with the brakes slightly applied the sound is not there I put everything back right so thinking it's got to be something with brakes as it goes when pressed slightly any ideas or past experiences the rear right seems ok no knock ? 

Thank again 

Any idea any one 

is the rear not shoes I have same year 2008 but my one is 1.6tdci ,,I had knock on back of my car after it came back from mot ,and  it turned out to be the shoes not lined up and or something like that after the mot man was hitting the back wheel said one brake was seized on a little

No they are discs and pads 

As per the above linked post having replaced all my calipers/discs and pads last year, I reckon the must likely culprit is the pad not sliding properly in the holder.  The caliper bracket runners where each end of the pad locates can "fur up"/rust and it makes it a bit of a tighter fit, causing the pads to not slide freely.  I'd have the pads back off, grind back/clean where the pads sit at each end and pop a small amount of Ceratec (or similar) in each of the runners on the caliper bracket.

I had the above issue when I first did my brakes last year (the caliper bracket was the only thing that I didn't replace) and the above actions fixed it.

Just to update everyone I took the brakes apart yesterday after returning from holiday and found that the rear pads were installed wrong as stated on videos and in Haynes manual the pad with the spring should fit in the inner of the disc (nearest the car) and the normal pad on the outer as I imagine that spring secures one side and the spring you take off at the front stops the other side I replaced with new rattle springs at same time as they were only £4.

He probably just made a genuine mistake my mechanic normally spot on 

Thanks everyone 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club