Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smelly exhaust...

Jamey0512

I've just bought my car of a friend who didn't really love it at all. Every time I start it up it has a horrible burning oil smell but no smoke. It takes a long time to get up to temperature and then comes back down very quick. Looking on doing a coolant flush. About the smell, anyone know any engine flushes or anything I can do to flush the system out maybe give it a clean... I don't know, help.

Which engine is it?  There isn't anything you can put in to stop a smelly exhaust, need to work out what's causing the smell and then fix the problem.

1 hour ago, Jamey0512 said:

I've just bought my car of a friend who didn't really love it at all. Every time I start it up it has a horrible burning oil smell but no smoke. It takes a long time to get up to temperature and then comes back down very quick. Looking on doing a coolant flush. About the smell, anyone know any engine flushes or anything I can do to flush the system out maybe give it a clean... I don't know, help.

Wynne's engine flush is good stuff, works on all engine types, perhaps buy some cheap oil aswell as two cans of Wynne's; give it a flush then an oil change with the cheap stuff followed by another flush within a week. 

Then back to Castrol again, 

Also recommend a fuel filter change if possible as in; if the vehicle has an accessible fuel filter I'd change it; the 1.6 Petrol focus doesn't have an accessible one for example. 

• Like 1

Sorry, I have a 1.6tdci. When I bought the car I changed everything on it. oil filter, oil, fuel filter, cabin filter, air filter, brakes all around. The cam belt and water pump had just been changed 2 weeks before I got the car and the car passed a mot the day before I got it with no advisories. Bought a clutch and flywheel just waiting for my mate to get some spare time to install them. Cars been shown a lot of TLC since I've got it just tryna get rid of that smell. Might go with the Wynne's idea.

Fuel and oil additives won't make any difference.  oil shouldn't be in the exhaust anyway.  And if the fuel is being burnt properly it won't smell bad.

Has it still got the DPF?  Previous owner didn't have it deleted?  They smell pretty ripe at startup without a DPF core.

If the DPF is still in place, does it get a chance to regen on longer drives?  If not, it'll smell pretty bad.

Injectors are a common fault on these, you may find you've got a dodgy one that's dripping into the cylinder over night or just not atomising fuel well at a cold start.

It's also worth checking the intake pipes for excess oil.  Some oil is normal, but if there's a large amount you may find a turbo oil seal has failed.

Does the smell go after its warmed up or stay permanently?  Might be worth looking at glow plugs if it's only startup.

• Like 1

What intake pipes shall I look for excess of oil? I've just changed the glowplugs a couple of days ago. Is there any tell tale signs of a turbo going on one of these? When I changed the oil in my car the other week I gave it a little rev after 10 mins or what ever it was and I seen a puff of smoke come from the turbo area and it scared me. Checked it out and couldn't see nothing obvious. I was hoping that I dropped a touch of oil on the heat shield and it just burnt off but im not too sure. I'm hoping my turbo isn't on its way out.

any other suggestions?

Catalytic converter gone bad?

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club