Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Adding Bluetooth to my 2013 Focus

Nathan Buffery

First post on the forum so please be gentle! I have a 2013 Focus Estate with the basic stereo and would like to add the bluetooth function for the phone. I would prefer to use the ford radio or the sony. After a little searching on the forums, I think I would need a bluetooth module to fit behind the glove box, a microphone and a different button for my steering wheel (there are volume buttons there at the moment, but they don't work) and obviously the stereo head unit, the display and the metal box with the CD bit inside. Is this correct or can you think of anything thing else?

Hi DaveT70. I put my reg into a website (I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, now) and it gave me all the specs on my focus. It said "less Bluetooth" so I guess it doesn't have it. It was an ex-police car so they tend to go for the basic stereo package, as they rip them out. 

Upgrading the Low Level audio system (Bluetooth) to the High Level audio system (with Bluetooth) requires a lot of modifications. These are basically completely different audio systems. A 2013 Focus did have the SYNC 1.0 system. Upgrading from the Low Level audio system to the High Level SYNC 1.0 or SYNC 1.1 system requires the following parts:

* High Level ACM (Audio Control Module/audio unit) which supports SYNC 1.0/1.1.
* FCDIM (Display) which supports SYNC 1.0/1.1
* FDIM (control panel) for the High Level audio system.
* SYNC 1.0 or 1.1 APIM (SYNC) module.
* Microphone.
* Radio remote on the steering wheel with SYNC button.
* Dashboard wiring harness for the SYNC based High Level audio system (The Low Level system has different/less wiring). As an alternative you can build a custom made harness to add the missing wiring.
* Roof wiring harness that has the microphone wiring.
* USB wiring needs to be rerouted/modified.

Being based on the High Level audio system the Sony audio system can only be installed in case the audio system is upgraded to the High Level system.

After all parts are installed the audio system needs to be configured properly otherwise some of the functionality will not work.

Upgrading the Low Level audio system to the High Level audio system is a major job (at least when done properly) and requires a lot of parts. You should determine first whether it is worth the effort/money or not. If you want to do this I strongly recommend to install at least the SYNC 1.1 system. 

Hi JW1982. Do I have to go for the sync system? After reading the forums, all I can really tell about the sync is it's a voice command system similar to Alexa or Google home. All I'm really after is using the phone through the stereo.  By the sounds of it I'd be better off buying an after market unit. 

SYNC is the connectivity system of Ford. The SYNC system includes bluetooth (Both Phone connectivity and audio streaming) and Voicecontrol. You can not have bluetooth without Voicecontrol on an Original Ford connectivity system.

Late 2012 the SYNC 1.0 system superseded the old Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system. In 2014 The SYNC 1.1 system was introduced and very soon Ford stopped the support for the SYNC 1.0 system. The SYNC 1.1 system is still used today on some Ford models arround the world so the SYNC 1.1 system is still supported by Ford (the SYNC 1.1 system can be updated by the user from a USB drive). The old Bluetooth/Voicecontrol and SYNC 1.0 systems are pretty outdated and have several known compatibility issues with newer Phone types. This is why I recommend to install the SYNC 1.1 system if you want to install an Original Ford connectivity system.

Off course there are also aftermarket solutions to install bluetooth (for example a Parrot Bluetooth system) but in my opinion these are not nearly as good as the Original Ford connectivity systems.

Hi JW1982, fitting the original ford gear would be my preference.  Are you saying that I need to find a sync 1.1 compatible unit? Is it possible to fit a unit with a higher sync version? Having done a search on eBay it says that the 2015 units will not fit my car. I don't suppose there are any youtube or forum links where they have completed this upgrade. Or I don't suppose you could suggest some part numbers so I could look at options on eBay.

• 2 years later...

Hi mate. Did u solve updating ur car to bluetooth? I have the same issue. My car was owned by a tv station and the have the most basic radio system ( no bluetooth or phone connectivity)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club