Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Electric water pump

pipex66

Hi guys .My car is 2013 focus tit x 1lt ecoboost, and have fitted the electric coolant pump that comes on when engine is switched off.Took it to local ford dealers to have it programmed to P.C.M. and was told it could not be done due to being blocked by software installed on clutch slip software recall a few months ago. The technician said the only way it could be done is to completely wipe the P.C.M. and reprogram every thing back in again but with the risk of wrecking P.C.M. (£1500 for new one).Does  anybody on here know anything about this.Any info on this greatly appreciated  

If that is the case can they not just delete the clutch slip update, install the pump software and re-install the clutch slip update?

I'd be tempted to try another place for a 2nd opinion tbh.

Technician said clutch slip update could not be deleted on its own.

are you saying you have retrofitted a later models electric coolant pump, but now can't write the software to control it in to the PCM because its not supposed to have it...  and your frustrated because it was a previously possible mod, but you have now found its impossible as a result the later PCM map which now includes the clutch slip enhancement ?

no ford dealer would remove a safety device (clutch slip stuff) to enable a non standard mod to be bodged on.  what major benefit is the electric coolant mod going to bring (other than a big drop in reliability when it stops functioning) ?

6 minutes ago, Botus said:

...what major benefit is the electric coolant mod going to bring...

It's a standard part but was only fitted to cars with towbars from the factory on prefacelifts.  It keeps the coolant circulating after shut off which stops the rubbish degas hose failing so quickly...

The dealer is correct, they can't just remove the clutch slip update software.  You would need to have the clutch slip software installed for a car with a factory towbar, this way you'll get the clutch slip update and the mapping for the coolant pump.  It is possible it'll damage the PCM, but you don't have any other option if you want to keep the pump.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

I'm interested to know what the outcome on this one was? I've recently bought the parts, and have arranged for Ford to fit them and be programmed on Tuesday. Mine is a 63 plate 1.0 125 Ecoboost estate. Hopefully it is possible.

• Like 1

The car went into Ford today to have the pump fitted.  It wasn't a straight forward job as the car already had the clutch update which wouldn't allow the extra software for the pump as described above. As far as I can understand in order to get the software installed - they did have to reload everything (they didn't describe this as risky) , but they talked to 'technical' for advice on how to do it. Anyway, Ford recommend having the pump fitted if a tow bar is fitted, so perhaps use that argument if they aren't being helpful. https://www.scribd.com/document/335759474/Installation-of-the-Aftermarket-Towbar-35-2012-Focus-2015. Thanks to Taunton Ford for the excellent service. Hope this helps. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, vince9740 said:

The car went into Ford today to have the pump fitted.  It wasn't a straight forward job as the car already had the clutch update which wouldn't allow the extra software for the pump as described above. As far as I can understand in order to get the software installed - they did have to reload everything (they didn't describe this as risky) , but they talked to 'technical' for advice on how to do it. Anyway, Ford recommend having the pump fitted if a tow bar is fitted, so perhaps use that argument if they aren't being helpful. https://www.scribd.com/document/335759474/Installation-of-the-Aftermarket-Towbar-35-2012-Focus-2015. Thanks to Taunton Ford for the excellent service. Hope this helps. 

Good to know that there is at least one Ford dealer capable of offering good service👍

• Like 1