Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Intermittent problem with 1.5tdci

Iangriffiths

Not sure if this is the place to post this. 

We have a 2015 fiesta 1.5tdci. Over the last couple of months we have had “service due” then “low oil pressure” pop up on display. It went into limp mode a couple of times, but returned to normal after starting again. Service was done and it happened again almost straight away. Sometimes it would show “engine malfunction”. Took to mechanic who wasn’t sure then came back and said he had it down to an injector, replacement fitted and we thought it was good again. Less than 300 miles and it’s doing it again. Anyone had this before?

Thanks in advance

Moved to relevant area

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

On 6/6/2019 at 5:21 PM, Iangriffiths said:

Sometimes it would show “engine malfunction”.

There will be dozens of causes for that message, it covers almost all malfunctions. You need a code reader to read the DTCs that are behind the message. Unfortunately, these codes are often still a bit vague or even misleading, and other diagnosis and testing may be needed to identify the real cause. But they usually point in the right general area, so they do help.

Knowing what code or test caused the mechanic to replace an injector would be handy.

A standard OBD2 reader will read most normal engine DTCs, and they are cheap and easy to use. A Ford specific system like Forscan will read all codes in all parts of the car, it is still quite cheap (£16 for the ELM327 adapter, free software for Windows), but not quite so convenient or easy to use.

Thanks. I have an obd2 to plug in, will get the code and investigate. Will look at a forscan. I didn’t know if there would be something obvious throwing out faults. I’m sure it’s electrical

56 minutes ago, Iangriffiths said:

I have an obd2 to plug in, will get the code and investigate.

You may have to read the codes fairly soon after a limp mode or error message event. Some DTCs can disappear quite quickly, after just a few ignition cycles, especially from the OBD2 list.

I can't tell if the service due & oil pressure messages are faults or not. I assume service due just comes up on standard mileage and time basis. If it came on unexpectedly, too soon after a previous service, then it could be due to a fault. If the oil message came on because the oil level was low, or the oil filter getting clogged due to needing the service, then that would be as expected. But if it happens more often, or for no obvious reason, then that would be a fault.

Yes, the car was serviced 274 miles before it started again. I did think about leaving the obd2 plugged in permanently and having it sat in the cup holder so it’s close to hand

10 hours ago, Iangriffiths said:

Yes, the car was serviced 274 miles before it started again. I did think about leaving the obd2 plugged in permanently and having it sat in the cup holder so it’s close to hand

If the oil pressure warning or service soon warnings started again so quickly, then that does show a problem to do with the oil. It could be just a faulty oil pressure sensor, or the wiring to the ECU. If not that, then it could be the oil quality is being reduced by either water or fuel, though that would normally be quite obvious: Grey emulsion for water, and rising oil level plus smoke for fuel.

Next I would put a blocked strainer on the oil pickup pipe in the sump, then oil pump or more major engine problems.

I would use the OBD quite often, after most runs, when convenient at least. If nothing shows up there, despite warning messages coming up and reduced engine power, then defo investigate Forscan. It does pick up codes that OBD readers do not find, I have experience of that myself.

One possible supplier of adapters: https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/

The Forscan software: http://forscan.org/download.html