Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Centre Display only showing Mileage / Mirrors not folding

tef89

The good lady has borrowed my car and has called me to ask why the car's centre display (behind the steering wheel) is just showing the mileage.

I assumed she was looking at the trip computer but after being sent the picture below I'm stumped lol.  Has anyone seen this happen wth their MK8 ?

It's stayed that way throughout the journey and hasn't changed after a switch off/open door/start cycle.

Also the mirrors aren't folding in automatically either apparently.

2019-06-07.thumb.jpg.5cdb1c5a398b62ded5898384dcc7538d.jpg

How long was it switched off?

The car only properly shuts down after about 20-30 mins with the doors locked.

It might just need a long shutdown and will sort itself out.

• Thanks 1

Just now, alexp999 said:

How long was it switched off?

The car only properly shuts down after about 20-30 mins with the doors locked.

It might just need a long shutdown and will sort itself out.

Thanks Alex, probably only about 15 - 20 minutes.

That's the view I get when the car is unlocked but before switching on the ignition, but I see from the pic that the fuel/temp gauges are activated and some lights are on, so presumably ignition was on? Not experienced this exactly but have had some odd behaviour when parking and the stop/start has shut off the engine but I've forgotten to switch off with the button. 

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

That's the view I get when the car is unlocked but before switching on the ignition, but I see from the pic that the fuel/temp gauges are activated and some lights are on, so presumably ignition was on? Not experienced this exactly but have had some odd behaviour when parking and the stop/start has shut off the engine but I've forgotten to switch off with the button. 

Hi Roger, yeah I recognised it as the standby view after the engine is off.  I've not got my hands on the car yet (SHMBO will be back later on) but I'm assured it's that way whilst driving.

No idea why it should affect the auto mirrors as well, although I can't discount something like accidentally pressing the manual fold button till I get the car back.

I've had the occasional issue with Sync etc that is usually fixed by a full reboot / shutdown so I'm hoping it's just one of those scenarios.  If not it's my first foray into Evans Halshaw Hull 🤨

6 minutes ago, tef89 said:

If not it's my first foray into Evans Halshaw Hull 🤨

@Mavroz speaks highly of them so hope they live up to their reputation for you😀

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

@Mavroz speaks highly of them so hope they live up to their reputation for you😀

Me too 🙂

Just got the car back from the Mrs and the instrument cluster is as it is in the picture, just the mileage showing.  If I press the 'OK' button or change it up or down it does nothing.  The LCD seems to be working though as it shows the Alarm dialogue on locking.

The mirrors definitely don't fold automatically anymore.  If I press the manual button they close and open without a problem but on locking or unlocking they remain where they were.

Rang 3x dealers and not one had a courtesy car within 2 weeks (slightly infuriating) so gave up and eventually got it booked in with EH for Tuesday, car to be left all day.  Guess I'll have the day off.

Could try disconnecting the battery overnight (possibly less) to try a hard reset

2 hours ago, robbyvrs said:

Could try disconnecting the battery overnight (possibly less) to try a hard reset

I did think about that but decided I didn't want to mess with anything so EH doesn't have any wriggle room regarding tampering etc. 

I have a few other issues that need looking at anyway so I'd prefer to get them to try and find the causes, if they can. 

Fingers crossed then, Gary - intrigued to know what it turns out to be.

My Mrs is also a beggar for inadvertently turning things on or off, so I was having a play in my car to see if I could replicate what has happened, but no.

The mirror folding function is controlled via the settings menu accessed by the steering wheel controls, of course, so the box of tricks controlling that or the associated connections could be the culprit. The screen itself is presumably ok as the mileage and other dialogues display as you mentioned. None of these functions (in my car at least) can be altered via the Sync screen so it looks as if we can't blame that this time.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Roger m8, I appreciate you trying to replicate it 🙂

The LCD definitely still works as I can see the Alarm activation dialogue appear when I lock the car.

I tried getting access to the interior fuses but gave up as I don't want to damage the glove-box and I can't easily work out anything relevant in the manual.

My lamen's guess is that the data connection to the ECU (or whatever holds / generates the information or controls) has been lost.  I'm thinking that the mirrors switching back to manual may well be a failsafe as the auto-miror setting is part of that control set.

What worries me slightly about Evans Halshaw is they were at pains to point out their £50 charge if nothing under warranty is found.  I don't want to pay £50 for them to change a fuse lol.

• Like 1

The fuse box is under the glovebox - 2 round fixings hold a piece of covered cardboard(?) - pull them off and the cover comes off so you can see the fuses - i think the handbook shows the fuses behind the glovebox but it is wrong

Which EH are you using? mine is going to the dewsbury one in a couple of weeks for some warranty bits sorting - they are poor but slightly better than stonacre in cleckheaton

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tef89 said:

Thanks Roger m8, I appreciate you trying to replicate it 🙂

The LCD definitely still works as I can see the Alarm activation dialogue appear when I lock the car.

I tried getting access to the interior fuses but gave up as I don't want to damage the glove-box and I can't easily work out anything relevant in the manual.

My lamen's guess is that the data connection to the ECU (or whatever holds / generates the information or controls) has been lost.  I'm thinking that the mirrors switching back to manual may well be a failsafe as the auto-miror setting is part of that control set.

What worries me slightly about Evans Halshaw is they were at pains to point out their £50 charge if nothing under warranty is found.  I don't want to pay £50 for them to change a fuse lol.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys - for some reason I thought I had to remove the glove box.  I'll have a look tomorrow when it stops raining lol.  No idea which fuse it may be so I'll just pull them all.

@robbyvrs - It's EH Hull.  I usually drive to another (non EH) dealer in Driffield but they have no courtesy cars for weeks and EH is local so easier to get to and back from.

My car has been booked in with EH for approx 6 weeks as they never seem to have a loan car available

fuse.png.00ba115b12a9c243bc21e86690af17d7.png

It won't be a fuse. Have you tried going into engineering test mode to check all the cluster and information centre lights up? 

Press and hold steering wheel right ok button, switch ign on and wait 5-8secs. Et should then show, release ok button and toggle using the up down 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tef89 said:

Thanks guys - for some reason I thought I had to remove the glove box

My handbook also suggests the fuses are behind the glovebox and describes removing it, but mine are also located as per the earlier posts/video.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iantt said:

It won't be a fuse. Have you tried going into engineering test mode to check all the cluster and information centre lights up? 

Press and hold steering wheel right ok button, switch ign on and wait 5-8secs. Et should then show, release ok button and toggle using the up down 

Thanks Ian, I thought it was a long shot to hope it's a fuse.

I'll give the test mode a go tomorrow.

2 hours ago, iantt said:

Just given this a try for future reference. Found you can also use the menu button to the right of ok to access the various info. As ever, thanks very much, Ian.😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Just given this a try for future reference. Found you can also use the menu button to the right of ok to access the various info. As ever, thanks very much, Ian.😀

You found the secret menu in sync 3 yet? 

2 hours ago, iantt said:

You found the secret menu in sync 3 yet? 

it's not one where you could tell me what it is, but then you'd have to kill me, is it?😀 Well, following advice on here, I have found a menu which shows number of satellites and signal strength, etc, etc, but is there another one?

16 hours ago, iantt said:

Couldn't even get into the mode. 

Pressed and held the OK button, hit the start button after 5-8 seconds and nothing comes up. 

Am I doing it wrong ?

52 minutes ago, tef89 said:

Couldn't even get into the mode. 

Pressed and held the OK button, hit the start button after 5-8 seconds and nothing comes up. 

Am I doing it wrong ?

That's what I did. All the normal warnings for seatbelt fastened etc were coming up as usual, "ET" came up in smallish green letters near top right of the info screen if I remember correctly (only had a brief dabble), after that pressing the menu button to right of "ok" brought up the test menus.

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

That's what I did. All the normal warnings for seatbelt fastened etc were coming up as usual, "ET" came up in smallish green letters near top right of the info screen if I remember correctly (only had a brief dabble), after that pressing the menu button to right of "ok" brought up the test menus.

Yeah I don't get any warnings etc.  The only thing the screen ever shows at any point is the mileage (top left), or when I switch the car off I get the Alarm dialogue asking if I want 'Full' or not.

Probably need a software update from Ford - this seems to be getting too common (electrics worse than the old French cars)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club