Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Centre Display only showing Mileage / Mirrors not folding

tef89

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for 30 min or so, to allow the system to “reset” itself? Just like a phone or laptop, sometimes the computers get “confused” 😂

• Like 1

As above, it's not wiring issues like with old cars, it's the modules that get confused as they are basically computers these days.  Module reset with Forscan or a battery disconnect should sort it out. :smile: 

5 hours ago, tef89 said:

Couldn't even get into the mode. 

Pressed and held the OK button, hit the start button after 5-8 seconds and nothing comes up. 

Am I doing it wrong ?

Yes, wrong, press ok button and hold , then press the start button briefly  to switch ign on only . Then wait 5-8 secs for display to show et. 

1 hour ago, ThaiFiesta said:

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for 30 min or so, to allow the system to “reset” itself? Just like a phone or laptop, sometimes the computers get “confused” 😂

Good call , but Some one already offered this earlier in the posts , but he didn't want too. It would probably fix the cluster. 

1 hour ago, iantt said:

Yes, wrong, press ok button and hold , then press the start button briefly  to switch ign on only . Then wait 5-8 secs for display to show et. 

I tried it that way too, but nothing came up.  I'll try again tomorrow.

57 minutes ago, iantt said:

Good call , but Some one already offered this earlier in the posts , but he didn't want too. It would probably fix the cluster. 

Ok will try, once I can get the car parked near my house tomorrow I'll give it a go. 

UPDATE:

Managed to get the car near the house,  have disconnected the battery and will report back in an hour or so. 

Ok, so the Instrument cluster is now working ... but the steering lock won't release the steering wheel.

It now says "Steering Wheel Lock Malfunction - service NOW"

Car initially started but now won't start at all.

On our Mk8, as soon as the clutch is dipped when starting the engine, the steering lock disengages.

Sometimes when handbraking / neutral in traffic, it seems like it engages also, again until the clutch is pressed and it releases.

You probably know this but hopefully it may help.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Mavroz said:

On our Mk8, as soon as the clutch is dipped when starting the engine, the steering lock disengages.

Sometimes when handbraking / neutral in traffic, it seems like it engages also, again until the clutch is pressed and it releases.

You probably know this but hopefully it may help.

Yeah, I appreciate that Mavrov, but I think this is different.

Open car, press START, immediately (whether I depress clutch or not) the warning appears on the screen advising a steering lock malfunction - service now.

This is gonna be fun, at least before the battery disconnect I had a usable driveable car.  It's kinda the thing that made me hesitant to disconnect the battery.

Time to use that Ford Assistance...

Lock the car and leave it for a while. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, iantt said:

Lock the car and leave it for a while. 

I was gonna try that but I decided to call Ford Assistance.  The AA came out (25 minutes later lol) and after a quick interrogation of the ODB he disconnected the control unit near the battery, reconnected it, and everything's working again.  Very impressed with Ford Assistance / The AA.

He said he'd seen a few of them where the control unit just needed a reconnect.  I guess the battery disconnect may have upset it and made it angry.

• Like 2

Can you take photo of the control unit he disconnected? 

24 minutes ago, tef89 said:

Very impressed with Ford Assistance / The AA.

That's good to know and glad they have apparently sorted it. The question is often asked on here "Is it worth maintaining the Ford Breakdown Cover" - it seems "Yes! "😀

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, iantt said:

Can you take photo of the control unit he disconnected? 

Can't get to the car right now but this is the bit (I realise this isn't a MK8 but it's near enough).  Take the first cover off, inside there are two sets of control cable looms with a large long grey plug on each.  The box itself is to the right of the battery.

ford-fiesta-engine-bay.thumb.jpg.7261e07ec06338696051e4765270d2da.jpg

He pulled them both, then reseated them.  There's an intricate locking mech and lever system but it's pretty simple.

25 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

That's good to know and glad they have apparently sorted it. The question is often asked on here "Is it worth maintaining the Ford Breakdown Cover" - it seems "Yes! "😀

Well if today was anything to go by Roger it's well worth it.  Nice little Ford Direct extra, glad I have it for the rest of the car's warraty (18 months).

2 minutes ago, tef89 said:

Nice little Ford Direct extra

Yes, it's a few years now since I bought an Ford Direct car, but I remember in some ways the package being better than you got with a new one!

Thanks everyone for their help, and even though the last hour or so was a little stressful, it may have saved me a trip to EH on Tuesday so it's well worth it 😂

It’s at the point where you may get Roy or Moss when calling for assistance.

34776A51-1887-4BD7-9FC1-92A96CA69658.jpeg

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, tef89 said:

Can't get to the car right now but this is the bit (I realise this isn't a MK8 but it's near enough).  Take the first cover off, inside there are two sets of control cable looms with a large long grey plug on each.  The box itself is to the right of the battery.

ford-fiesta-engine-bay.thumb.jpg.7261e07ec06338696051e4765270d2da.jpg

He pulled them both, then reseated them.  There's an intricate locking mech and lever system but it's pretty simple.

Well if today was anything to go by Roger it's well worth it.  Nice little Ford Direct extra, glad I have it for the rest of the car's warraty (18 months).

I know the connectors , c1035a and c1035b. 

I've had the steering malfunction message a couple of vehicles, esp when a flat battery. That was when the fiesta mk8 came out. On those occasions we left them for an hour or so locked up and all ok after. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, iantt said:

I know the connectors , c1035a and c1035b. 

I've had the steering malfunction message a couple of vehicles, esp when a flat battery. That was when the fiesta mk8 came out. On those occasions we left them for an hour or so locked up and all ok after. 

Guess that makes sense then, it lost power completely when I removed the battery so kinda the same as a flat battery.

Great news, all sorted.

Hopefully you don't have to waste a days holiday now and be without a car.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mavroz said:

Great news, all sorted.

Hopefully you don't have to waste a days holiday now and be without a car. 

Every cloud eh 🙂

14 hours ago, tef89 said:

He pulled them both, then reseated them.  

Just to be clear, for future reference if this happens to mine, the battery was connected when he did this operation?

PS - I don't suppose all this jiggery-pokery has cured your Sat nav issues as well?😀

56 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Just to be clear, for future reference if this happens to mine, the battery was connected when he did this operation?

PS - I don't suppose all this jiggery-pokery has cured your Sat nav issues as well?😀

Yes, the battery was connected the whole time.  I specifically asked if it was something I could do myself if it happened again and the AA guy then showed me how to do it, just in case I was ever stranded to get it going.

He said he was seeing it a lot on the newest transits.  Here's the full text of the AA diagnostic:

Patrol found the following fault code/s:System : Central electronics 1 - 1ZK / Central electr. CE B1.3B121800 - Relay for horn. Error Message : Short to B+.B102609 - Electronic steering column lock. Error Message : Component faulty.Suspect bad connection onto body control module, disconnected and reconnected and normal service resumed.

As for the GPS, I thought the exact same thing when I went out just not to test if the car was still working, unfortunately I was only out 10 minutes so too quick to test fully, but I'll report back if I am the lucky recipient of a Ford miracle 🙂

• Haha 1

These are the connectors that were pulled.

IMG_20190611_132443.jpg

IMG_20190611_132516.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

This has just happened to my 2018 fiesta, exactly as described no display just mileage and wing mirrors won't fold automatically, did you find out what the problem was? TIA

7 hours ago, Kathryn said:

did you find out what the problem was? TIA

Yes they fixed the problem and even told everyone how.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club