Wezaa

MK3.5 what is this connector called

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

i have been been looking through several topics on here related to installing a reversing camera.

i would like to install one in my MK3.5

i have ordered an aftermarket one from China. It uses an RCA connector.

the thing is, my car has the grey connector for the OEM camera in the boot and I wondered if I could fine an adaption that would convert this connector to RCA.

or maybe cut off this connector and splice the wires together instead of using any connectors.

 

any ideas on the name of this connector or any diagrams as to which pin does what within this connector?

thanks

226A6DF8-1749-45D3-9649-4BCE41A0AE54.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pin 1 white is 12v, pin2 brown earth, pin3  white/blue Linbus, pin4 blue video+ , pin5 green video - , pin6 sheild. 

That's from the info I have. 

Do you have sync 2/3?

Camera will need enabling also using forscan with elm327.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, iantt said:

Pin 1 white is 12v, pin2 brown earth, pin3  white/blue Linbus, pin4 blue video+ , pin5 green video - , pin6 sheild. 

That's from the info I have. 

Do you have sync 2/3?

Camera will need enabling also using forscan with elm327.

It’s a sync 2.

brother has a modified elm327 cable

got access to focccus and forscan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've not fitted one on a focus 3.5 but have just fitted one on a Mondeo with sync 2 . I wired into the back of the plug . Cut the RCA plug off and soldered the bared video  wires. 12 v for camera soldered in and camera earth to earth point in tailgate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, iantt said:

I've not fitted one on a focus 3.5 but have just fitted one on a Mondeo with sync 2 . I wired into the back of the plug . Cut the RCA plug off and soldered the bared video  wires. 12 v for camera soldered in and camera earth to earth point in tailgate. 

Which of the 2 video wires did the solder the rca into?

i assume I can solder into the 12v wire and the ground wire for the power to the cam?

 

thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both. The RCA has 2 video wires , + and - camera wires at the RCA is yellow and black from what I remember. The aftermarket camera I used had an extra wire inside that you can use for the 12 v feed. You will see what I mean. I think I have a cable in the garage somewhere so you can see . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the camera has 2 plugs, a female RCA and a 2 pin plug for 12v and earth. Run the earth wire to a good earth inside tail gate then the only cable you need to run through the tailgate to plug you found( assume it's on right in boot area) is this . The male rca plugs into the female on camera, the 12v from camera to the little red wire. 

So run the one wire through to the grey plug. Cut the plug off  the end you feed through . 

You get a nice long cable in the kit . I've cut the one end of RCA plug off so you can see the video+ yellow, video - black and 12v red . Those 3 to the grey connector. 

1560010041336816697826.jpg

1560010295611129300431.jpg

15600105854492145546336.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you very much mate.

Thats all perfect info.

my cam wont arrive for weeks yet, but once I have it installed I’ll update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one I bought on eBay arrived from China in 6 days. Cost £6.65. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did it a little differently, purely because I can not solder even if my life depended on it lol. I bought a 54 APIM connector which plugs into the back of the SYNC2 unit and then the harness that was plugged in initially then plugged into the other end of the connector. The new APIM bridge had an RCA connector in it that just connects up to the cam lead. I grabbed power from the rear fuse box and earthed it to a secure point on the inside of the NSR wheel arch.

 

@iantt are you a member of the Facebook book I admin? I wrote a guide for the Mk5 retrofit camera.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

I did it a little differently, purely because I can not solder even if my life depended on it lol. I bought a 54 APIM connector which plugs into the back of the SYNC2 unit and then the harness that was plugged in initially then plugged into the other end of the connector. The new APIM bridge had an RCA connector in it that just connects up to the cam lead. I grabbed power from the rear fuse box and earthed it to a secure point on the inside of the NSR wheel arch.

 

@iantt are you a member of the Facebook book I admin? I wrote a guide for the Mk5 retrofit camera.

I saw the thread where you did this. I added the APIM connector to my amazon wish list as that how I was going to do it. But I can be bothered removing all the bits of dash to get to the back of the sync 2 unit, and If I can avoid running the wires the full length of the car I may as well.

i want to try and keep the existing connector intact rather than cut it off. So I’m actually going to use some T Tap connectors instead of soldiering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Wezaa said:

I saw the thread where you did this. I added the APIM connector to my amazon wish list as that how I was going to do it. But I can be bothered removing all the bits of dash to get to the back of the sync 2 unit, and If I can avoid running the wires the full length of the car I may as well.

i want to try and keep the existing connector intact rather than cut it off. So I’m actually going to use some T Tap connectors instead of soldiering.

It wasn’t actually that difficult to remove the centre console, much easier than I thought it would be. I understand you wanting to keep it simple, I didn’t have the connector in the boot otherwise I may we’ll have done it this way.

when doing the Mk5 Mondeo I used ScotchLock connectors (I think that’s what they are called) did not work, I think the wires were just too thin for the connectors so get the smallest ones that you can find.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2019 at 4:01 PM, iantt said:

Pin 1 white is 12v, pin2 brown earth, pin3  white/blue Linbus, pin4 blue video+ , pin5 green video - , pin6 sheild. 

That's from the info I have. 

Do you have sync 2/3?

Camera will need enabling also using forscan with elm327.

Fitted my camera today. Using this guide for the pins/wires I was able to “T-tap” into the wires, leaving the original connector in place.

used Forscan to enable the camera.

the quality is pretty crappy, but to be expected for a £17 price of kit. But all working as it should be.

thank you very much, your info was a great help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it the image  the quality isn't very good.? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, iantt said:

Is it the image  the quality isn't very good.? 

yeah, the image quality is pretty poor. the build quality of the whole thing is pretty decent to be honest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's not good then.the one I used on my focus MK3 was excellent, and now Mondeo. Suppose it's luck of the draw with cameras as there's so many different ones out there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you not still need to plug something in at the screen end ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Tommo17 said:

Do you not still need to plug something in at the screen end ? 

Not if you have the grey plug already in the boot, you will find it by removing the small access panel on the wheel arch trim inside the boot. If it isn’t there then you just need to route the camera wire all the way to the back of the stereo and use a 54pin APIM harness adapter with added RCA socket. Sounds messy to do but it took an extra 15minutes doing it this way as I didn’t have the plug, and the time I saved soldering or identifying the correct wires was probably not far off the time I spent removing the Sync3 screen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

Not if you have the grey plug already in the boot, you will find it by removing the small access panel on the wheel arch trim inside the boot. If it isn’t there then you just need to route the camera wire all the way to the back of the stereo and use a 54pin APIM harness adapter with added RCA socket. Sounds messy to do but it took an extra 15minutes doing it this way as I didn’t have the plug, and the time I saved soldering or identifying the correct wires was probably not far off the time I spent removing the Sync3 screen

Cheers. I’ve got the plug. But thought that was for the module then another cable ran back to the screen and connected via fakra 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.