Do Not Sell My Personal Information

‘02 Maverick battery light stays on?

Fridaysniper

I’m stumped. I have a 2002 Ford Maverick 2.0 that I bought so we can go diving (lots of room for all the dive kit, 4 x 4 for when we need it etc). Got it for a good price and obviously it came with a few issues. 

1) Annoying series of beeps every few minutes with no indication on the dash - this turned out to be a broken wire related to the airbag warning light. 

2) Car died on the first day I had it - battery wasn’t being charged and no indication on the dash of any issues. Bought a remanufactured alternator and my mechanic fitted it at the same time as he sorted out the airbag warning. 

3) Replaced the cambelt (108,000 miles and cambelt never been changed by the look of the one we took out...)

The car now charges fine and runs well, however.... the battery light turns on when you turn on the ignition (as it should), goes off when you start the car (as it is supposed to), and then the battery light turns on and stays on after about a minute. Alternator is charging correctly (checked the voltage coming to the battery) but the ***** light won’t turn off. 

We've checked wiring for continuity etc and all good. It gives an error code related to the alternator when you read the codes but the alternator we put in is the only one that is meant to be in the car. It’s the same as the one we took out as well. It has the 3-pin plug for the Smart charge so I know it’s the right one for it. Battery is also new  

I am about to take it to the local Ford stealership so they can look at but I am wary that some unscrupulous character will just do a reset or something and then charge me an arm and a leg for replacing a perfectly good alternator.

if anyone has a suggestion of what else I could look at before taking it in that would be very helpful. I am tempted to just drive it as is because I know it won’t leave me stranded but I hate having a car that isn’t mechanically and electrically perfect. 

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but I figured I'll update this in case anyone else has a similar issue. It's going to sound really dumb but the problem was the alternator - the one supplied by Europarts was faulty. It did not charge correctly as it was only charging at 12.4 volts instead of the more standard and expected 13.8+ volts. The reason both my mechanic and I were so stumped is because to all intents and purposes the alternator WAS charging correctly. Every test we did showed at least 14.3 volts coming to the battery

I finally twigged though...the Smart Charge had taken over and was boosting the charge going to the battery. The test (which I only thought if once all other avenues had been exhausted) is to take off the Smart Charge plug from the alternator, the alternator should revert to just a normal alternator output of 13.8 or so volts. As the alternator was faulty as soon as I tool the Smart Charge plug off the voltage dropped to 12.4. 

Installed another re-manufactured alternator and everything is now good. Car charges correctly, battery is happy and alternator is happy. 

I have given my mechanic endless grief with this car so it's good to have it finally sorted out.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club