Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2.5 rear boot strip

stonecrow

Anyone know how to get this off? Especially with the crap someones stuck it in with? Also will I need a new Ford badge? Or would it look ok without one? 

20190609_132852.jpg

20190609_132800.jpg

The silver trim is quite rare and really expensive to replace which is why people try to repair it themselves when the clips snap lol.

Can you tell what that adhesive is?  Looks like silicone sealant? :unsure:  If it is then it should come off fairly easily, the use of a solvent would help, bit of petrol or similar.  If it's something like Tigerseal though it'll be impossible to remove.

Not sure what you mean about the badge, would look weird without it imo!

I've got a replacement on eBay ready to buy  already primed etc for £30 but it comes without the Ford logo, but no idea what it is tbf, does look abit like silicone, no idea what tiger seal looks like when dried etc 

13 minutes ago, stonecrow said:

I've got a replacement on Ebay ready to buy  already primed etc for £30 but it comes without the Ford logo, but no idea what it is tbf, does look abit like silicone, no idea what tiger seal looks like when dried etc 

Ah ok, I'd just swap the badge from the old one onto the new one.  You could always paint it or add a gel badge later on.

If you've got an old plastic card (credit, debit, AA etc) try to lift the edge of the adhesive and see if it peels off or if it's just stuck solid.

25 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Ah ok, I'd just swap the badge from the old one onto the new one.  You could always paint it or add a gel badge later on.

If you've got an old plastic card (credit, debit, AA etc) try to lift the edge of the adhesive and see if it peels off or if it's just stuck solid.

It budges slightly, so I might attempt to take it off and just re paint it, cheers 

is it required that I take all the stuff from inside the boot of first to get to it? is it like the front? just pry the glue and what not off and just pull it away?

3 hours ago, stonecrow said:

It budges slightly, so I might attempt to take it off and just re paint it, cheers 

I take it back, it aint coming off..took the 5 screws out, covered it in glue/tar remover etc and it aint budging what so ever, I may resort to covering the boot up and painting it while attached...

Chrome can not be painted. The paint will simply not adhese properly on chrome and come off very soon. Sanding the chrome will not prevent this.

If you want to paint the bootlid you have to remove the chrome completely. Under the layer of chrome there will most likely be a layer of copper. Both the chrome layer and the copper layer needs to be removed. This can be done by submersing the trim in bleech or acid. This however is a time consuming process. It will take approximately a week to remove all of the chrome and copper.

1 hour ago, JW1982 said:

Chrome can not be painted. The paint will simply not adhese properly on chrome and come off very soon. Sanding the chrome will not prevent this.

If you want to paint the bootlid you have to remove the chrome completely. Under the layer of chrome there will most likely be a layer of copper. Both the chrome layer and the copper layer needs to be removed. This can be done by submersing the trim in bleech or acid. This however is a time consuming process. It will take approximately a week to remove all of the chrome and copper.

It's not real chrome is it?  I though it was just a plastic coating which is why water gets in and ruins it quickly?

• Like 1

As far as I know it is real chrome (at least it was on older Ford models). 

The plastic of the bootlid is painted with a special primer that bonds to the plastic. Next the bootlid is copper plated. The copper bonds to the special primer. Finally the copper plated bootlid is chrome plated. Both the copper and chrome layers are very thin and become easily damaged by water. However when good taken care for the chrome will last a pretty long time.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JW1982 said:

Oh I didnt know that, I painted the front one fine so we shall see but yeah when standing down i saw the copper merging through, will wait and see what happens with the front one as currently I cant take the back one off anyway 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club