Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying Mondeo (Mk5) Petrol - anything to look out for?

Incontro

Hi guys,

It appears the time has come to upgrade from my trusty Focus that's served me perfectly well for the last 6 years of motoring - will be sad to see it leave for sure as it was my first car...

I am looking at staying with the blue oval however - after exploring various options and test driving even a BMW I was not impressed...

Currently close to purchasing a Mondeo Mk5 (66 reg) - Petrol, Auto, 2.0L (240) Ecoboost...

Does anyone know of any common problems affecting this model (including the 2.0 lump) I should look out for, above the ordinary when buying a used vehicle?

Cheers

Sagging dash in the centre,driveshaft inner joints premature wear, isolated steering rack corroding . Premature wear on steering wheel.

The engine is fairly tough. Not heard of any problems as such. But the autobox is a powershift transmission. There ok as long as the transmission fluid and filter has been changed according to manufacturers service schedules. Think that's 37.5k /3 yr intervals. See proof of this being done or walk away. 

There's a Facebook closed group for Mondeo mk5 UK owners who will no doubt advise you. 

5 hours ago, iantt said:

Sagging dash in the centre,driveshaft inner joints premature wear, isolated steering rack corroding . Premature wear on steering wheel.

The engine is fairly tough. Not heard of any problems as such. But the autobox is a powershift transmission. There ok as long as the transmission fluid and filter has been changed according to manufacturers service schedules. Think that's 37.5k /3 yr intervals. See proof of this being done or walk away. 

There's a Facebook closed group for Mondeo mk5 UK owners who will no doubt advise you. 

Thanks iantt! (big fan of your new profile pic btw)

Sagging dash sounds awful (seen some pics), one of those things that's impossible to un-notice once you've seen it. Out of curiosity have you had it on your car b4?

Difficult to see the driveshaft inner joints, I guess I could ask the dealer to put it up on a hoist and send me some pics? (I've just asked for this, I am buying it as a long distance sale) Not as mechanically clued up as you though - which parts are we talking about exactly here?

Regarding the autobox - pretty sure the Mk5 petrol auto doesn't have the nightmare Powershift. According to what I've seen across internet forums etc. it has the AWF21, which is a conventional 6spd torque converter box. Am I right? If it has the Powershift I might back out of the sale right away! I've heard all the horror stories. Dealer said the transmission fluid and filter was changed in March of this year (although the AWF21 supposedly has a fluid designed to last the life of the transmission...?)

Pm me the reg and I can check what auto it has.

Just checked and you could be right. 1.5 and 2.0 petrol used the 6f35 auto

• Like 1

Oh, Forgot to say, you need a tow bar on a petrol Mondeo. 😅😅😅😅

images (1).jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 6/10/2019 at 12:07 AM, iantt said:

Oh, Forgot to say, you need a tow bar on a petrol Mondeo. 😅😅😅😅

images (1).jpeg

haha made me crack up... too many dirty diesel fans on here 😉 in theory it should get better MPG than my current slushbox focus 1.6 auto so it is an improvement for me...

Mine is quoted at 45/46 MPG, the mondeo is quoted at 49 MPG or something... i will mostly be doing long runs with it.

do you mind if i can PM you a video showing the underneath of the car? before i travel the 2-3 hours by public transport to the dealer on monday to pick it up... perhaps you can offer some comment... nothing looks over-rusted or broken, but hoping to get a second (more clued up) opinion...

I'm not a dirty diesel fan either , but ended up getting one for the first time in 38yrs. I only do 14 miles each way to work, but the Mondeo is easily coping with that. Dpf is keeping clean . It's surprised me how nice it drives. And bonus of good mpg. I reset my mpg before driving home from work today. 

15605157132391456303566.jpg