Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2002 Focus Estate won't unlock with keyfob

Larkspeed_NL

This is driving me nuts and I can't figure it out.

I have a 2002 Focus Estate and it refuses to unlock with the keyfob.

The truck release works fine and it will lock the doors no problem but I have to unlock it with the key.

I have replaced the battery in the keyfob and I have tested the button using a multimeter so the button itself is working correctly and closing the circuit like it should.

I can't seem to get the car to go into programming mode either, no matter how many times I turn the ignition on and off rapidly I get no beep to say it's going into programming mode, it did this fine when I got the car.

Any ideas?

18 minutes ago, Larkspeed_NL said:

This is driving me nuts and I can't figure it out.

I have a 2002 Focus Estate and it refuses to unlock with the keyfob.

The truck release works fine and it will lock the doors no problem but I have to unlock it with the key.

I have replaced the battery in the keyfob and I have tested the button using a multimeter so the button itself is working correctly and closing the circuit like it should.

I can't seem to get the car to go into programming mode either, no matter how many times I turn the ignition on and off rapidly I get no beep to say it's going into programming mode, it did this fine when I got the car.

Any ideas?

How many keys ?

I only have the one key

9 minutes ago, Larkspeed_NL said:

I only have the one key

You can only program with two keys.

I know the immobiliser is separate from the remote locking but you said you tried programming with one key.

4 minutes ago, williamweb said:

I know the immobiliser is separate from the remote locking but you said you tried programming with one key.

yes and for getting the central locking to work it worked fine with just one key when I first got the car, since then it has decided to stop locking and now like I said it won't even enter programming mode so the number of keys is kind of moot.

13 minutes ago, Larkspeed_NL said:

yes and for getting the central locking to work it worked fine with just one key when I first got the car, since then it has decided to stop locking and now like I said it won't even enter programming mode so the number of keys is kind of moot.

So you are saying that the remote can be reprogrammed  with one key?

18 minutes ago, williamweb said:

So you are saying that the remote can be reprogrammed  with one key?

Yes.

Originally when I got the car the fob battery was dead, I put in a new battery but the fob didn't work and then I followed the procedure I found on the net to put the car into programming mode and pushed the button on the fob... the car beeped to accept the input from the fob and then as instructed I turned the ignition back on to exit programming mode and the fob worked as it was supposed to for about 3 months.

After 3 months it stopped responding to the unlock button, like i said before the lock button and the trunk release both work fine and the physical button itself tests as working properly.

But now any attempt to put the car back into programming mode fails and the car never enters programming mode so I can't just try and rebind the key with the car.

4 minutes ago, Larkspeed_NL said:

Yes.

Originally when I got the car the fob battery was dead, I put in a new battery but the fob didn't work and then I followed the procedure I found on the net to put the car into programming mode and pushed the button on the fob... the car beeped to accept the input from the fob and then as instructed I turned the ignition back on to exit programming mode and the fob worked as it was supposed to for about 3 months.

After 3 months it stopped responding to the unlock button, like i said before the lock button and the trunk release both work fine and the physical button itself tests as working properly.

But now any attempt to put the car back into programming mode fails and the car never enters programming mode so I can't just try and rebind the key with the car.

If you have the owners handbook the correct programming procedure is included.

1 minute ago, williamweb said:

If you have the owners handbook the correct programming procedure is included.

Like I said I have already followed the programming procedure and the car will not enter programming mode.

3 minutes ago, Larkspeed_NL said:

Like I said I have already followed the programming procedure and the car will not enter programming mode.

Sometimes on the internet the information is incorrect that’s why I referred you to the owners handbook.In the handbook you require two keys.

16 minutes ago, williamweb said:

Sometimes on the internet the information is incorrect that’s why I referred you to the owners handbook.In the handbook you require two keys.

You said it worked with one key nevertheless  it’s always good practice to have a spare,saved me a lot of expense and inconvenience 

34 minutes ago, Larkspeed_NL said:

So just had a look in my handbook and there is a re- programming the unlocking function 👍

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club