Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Simple Home Hi-Fi Recommendations?

TomsFocus

I'm looking for a new HiFi system for my 80 year old Nan...this means it must be simple and easy to use above all else lol!! 

Must have DAB with a good reception (low signal area).  Plus FM as well.

Must have a CD player - if possible, just a CD slot rather than a tray for ease of use.

Must have an intuitive remote with good sized buttons and without 500 unnecessary functions.

I'm not fussed whether it's all-in-one or has seperate Speakers as long as it's loud and clear anywhere in the bungalow.

Not looking for anything high end, £100 max.  

I'll be looking at the usual electrical stores over the week but wondered if anyone on here could recommend something matching the above criteria. :smile:

Thanks,

Tom

9 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I'm looking for a new HiFi system for my 80 year old Nan...this means it must be simple and easy to use above all else lol!! 

Must have DAB with a good reception (low signal area).  Plus FM as well.

Must have a CD player - if possible, just a CD slot rather than a tray for ease of use.

Must have an intuitive remote with good sized buttons and without 500 unnecessary functions.

I'm not fussed whether it's all-in-one or has seperate speakers as long as it's loud and clear anywhere in the bungalow.

Not looking for anything high end, £100 max.  

I'll be looking at the usual electrical stores over the week but wondered if anyone on here could recommend something matching the above criteria. :smile:

Thanks,

Tom

Might be an idea mate; 

I bought my mother an "amazon Echo Plus" 

And I personally use Spotify so I changed my subscription ti a family account, only costs me an extra €5 per month 

She can listen to radio stations and request songs using her voice, 

I later fitted socket adapters so she can turn on lights without having to reach down to switches; I also fitted a Hive heating controller which works with Alexa too. 

The plus model has built in hub to allow it control things, 

Maybe an idea; heres a combination of info I gathered on amazon devices, also good for safety if she fell or anything she can call like a telephone on amazon using voice 

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/105303-advice-buying-amazon-echo/

alternatively try Argos for a Sony CMT-S20B DAB radio with CD  

I've got one the same one in my bedroom connected to sky box it feeds Speakers in the bathroom ceiling it has DAB, bluetooth, AUX input, USB and CD, the reception isint the best on the radio but that could be just where I've positioned it. Everything else works perfectly well.

20181028_183445.jpg.cdc097b57cd4f2b28ee02f6ad8489372.thumb.jpg.70c003d22573a28ae9ccdf05f065e37a.jpg

11 hours ago, Lenny said:

Might be an idea mate; 

I bought my mother an "Amazon Echo Plus" 

And I personally use Spotify so I changed my subscription ti a family account, only costs me an extra €5 per month 

She can listen to radio stations and request songs using her voice, 

I later fitted socket adapters so she can turn on lights without having to reach down to switches; I also fitted a Hive heating controller which works with Alexa too. 

The plus model has built in hub to allow it control things, 

Maybe an idea; heres a combination of info I gathered on Amazon devices, also good for safety if she fell or anything she can call like a telephone on Amazon using voice 

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/105303-advice-buying-amazon-echo/

alternatively try Argos for a Sony CMT-S20B DAB radio with CD  

I've got one the same one in my bedroom connected to sky box it feeds speakers in the bathroom ceiling it has DAB, Bluetooth, AUX input, USB and CD, the reception isint the best on the radio but that could be just where I've positioned it. Everything else works perfectly well.

20181028_183445.jpg.cdc097b57cd4f2b28ee02f6ad8489372.thumb.jpg.70c003d22573a28ae9ccdf05f065e37a.jpg

She doesn't have internet Lenny...amazingly there are still people without it these days! 😮  But also, trying to explain how to talk to an Alexa device would be an impossible task! :laugh:  When I say simple, I mean something with a massive knob for volume and like 2 buttons on the remote...  :lol: 

• Haha 1

I'm looking for something like this I think...  Only trouble with this one is doesn't say RADIO or CD on it...I'm not sure she'd get the hang of cycling through the source button to find what she wants.  :unsure: 

https://ao.com/product/xlb515d-sharp-mini-hi-fi-black-56242-171.aspx

• Like 1

Well, I've been surprised by the lack of choice in HiFi systems nowadays.  I guess most people just use thier phones or alexas these days!? :unsure:

Will be having a look in a few shops tomorrow as I haven't found anything great online.  Just making one last check on here for any recommendations? :smile:

• Like 1

I don't have a recommendation but I do have a question for you. Are you sure you/your Nan wants a slot CD player? 

My reasoning is that if you go for a tray style player there's maybe less chance of getting 2 discs stuck in the mechanism as opposed to a slot where it might be possible to put a disc in when there's already one loaded. 

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 8:30 PM, Turvey said:

I don't have a recommendation but I do have a question for you. Are you sure you/your Nan wants a slot CD player? 

My reasoning is that if you go for a tray style player there's maybe less chance of getting 2 discs stuck in the mechanism as opposed to a slot where it might be possible to put a disc in when there's already one loaded. 

That is a very good point! :smile:  She doesn't know what she wants, I was just trying to think of anything that may be easier than her current unit, but of course, easier for us doesn't necessarily mean pensioner-proof! 😮 :biggrin:  

I haven't actually been able to find one at all sadly.  The lower end stuff mostly comes without DAB, let alone DAB+.  Or you can get a DAB radio, but without CD player. Or the speaker output is shockingly bad...sure I saw one at 2Watt RMS lol.  It's looking like she'd have to spend £100+ to get something better than she currently has and even then, there's no guarantee of better DAB signal.  I'll be seeing her tomorrow so will see whether she'd like to spend the extra or just persevere with what she has.

On 6/18/2019 at 12:09 PM, TomsFocus said:

That is a very good point! :smile:  She doesn't know what she wants, I was just trying to think of anything that may be easier than her current unit, but of course, easier for us doesn't necessarily mean pensioner-proof! 😮 :biggrin:  

I haven't actually been able to find one at all sadly.  The lower end stuff mostly comes without DAB, let alone DAB+.  Or you can get a DAB radio, but without CD player. Or the speaker output is shockingly bad...sure I saw one at 2Watt RMS lol.  It's looking like she'd have to spend £100+ to get something better than she currently has and even then, there's no guarantee of better DAB signal.  I'll be seeing her tomorrow so will see whether she'd like to spend the extra or just persevere with what she has.

This one doesn't look too bad and theres only a few buttons with picture 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FXM9F4J/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A2224L4YIUC64&psc=1 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lenny said:

This one doesn't look too bad and theres only a few buttons with picture 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FXM9F4J/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A2224L4YIUC64&psc=1 

Hmm, that does look good actually!!  Hadn't seen that one so far and tbh I'd almost given up looking!  Will have a proper look later, now off to watch the new Top Gear. :smile:

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Thread revival... :tongue:  Are there any good Black Friday deals on these mini-HiFi systems?  MUST be DAB+, CD, easy to use and pretty loud.  Nans birthday is coming up so I'll put a tenner towards one... :laugh: 

*UPDATE*

Think I've found one...BUT I can't find it at a suitable price locally, only online.  Does anyone have any experience with Currys or Hughes price matching?

This is the one - (simple remote, intuitive button layout, 40w RMS, DAB+, CD...don't think I've missed anything?) 

http://www.cramptonandmoore.co.uk/panasonic-sc-pm602-cd-radio-micro-hifi-with-bluetooth.html?channel=ppc&gclid=CjwKCAiA5o3vBRBUEiwA9PVzamJyriZ5Mh5ym21b93p_eFFDzAn8KwoV0XHpWdF-Bm4P-YZgTuJbBxoC5d0QAvD_BwE

But it's £130 in Hughes.  And £150 in Currys (although £30 off in Black Friday event).  Anyone know if Currys would match the £100 of the shop above or are there lots of terms and conditions?

@TomsFocus, Currys should price match as long as the item is the same model number they sell. You would need to contact them though through their contact phone number or via an in-store team member who can verify the item. 
They price matched my laptop 6 months ago with Argos as they were selling it £50 cheaper. As I had already paid for the item, they refunded the difference to my card once it had been verified as the same model. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Nick Y said:

@TomsFocus, Currys should price match as long as the item is the same model number they sell. You would need to contact them though through their contact phone number or via an in-store team member who can verify the item. 
They price matched my laptop 6 months ago with Argos as they were selling it £50 cheaper. As I had already paid for the item, they refunded the difference to my card once it had been verified as the same model. 

I can't do phone calls so would be in store but don't want to make the drive over there if there's an obvious get out clause lol.  Sounds promising if they dropped £50 on your laptop though!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club