Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BMS reset on Focus 2010 (Mk2.5)

Superdonk

Hi folks

I've got a 2010 Focus 1.6 TDCI with the start/stop function on it, which hasnt worked in four years.

I've had a recent battery change but it doesnt seem to have solved it.

I've found people saying that resetting the BMS can sort this out, however I have no idea how to do it on my model.

The only topics I can find are for the Mk3 reset (certain tasks including pressing the rear fog light button- which this car doesnt have) and I've tried the extended licence of Forscan which doesnt have the option to reset it either.

Any help would be great - I want this Start/stop system to start working again! :)

Thanks

Stop start on a MK2.5?? Didn't realise that model had it. Can you take photo of the disable switch? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iantt said:

Stop start on a MK2.5?? Didn't realise that model had it. Can you take photo of the disable switch? 

It doesn't have it lol

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

It doesn't have it lol

Not just me thinking the same then. 

11 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

It doesn't have it lol

Yes it does actually.

It worked for about the first 6 months then hasnt worked since - and no...I haven't been stalling the car at the lights! 🙂

I'll get a photo of the disable switch, but its at the bottom of the centre console with the capital A with an arrow over the top - next to the rear demist button.

Again - help on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

not from my car - but this photo shows exactly what the switch looks like. 

2010-ford-focus-econetic_1600x0w.thumb.jpg.680930aea938779e5cf847af56dbd7bf.jpg

Is the car an import?

Rear fogs are a legal requirement in UK spec cars, and I've never seen a MK2 with stop start either!

• Like 1

The Start/Stop functionality was introduced on the MK2.5 on the late versions of the 1.6 TDCI ECOnetic. The main purpose of this system was to reduce emissions and reduce tax in many countries.

The Focus MK2.5 with Start/Stop system does not have a battery monitoring system (at least not an advanced system with a battery sensor like the MK3/MK3.5). The battery type/capacity is also not configured within the electronics of the MK2.5.

• Like 2

Learn something new every day, ive never seen one. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, iantt said:

Learn something new every day, ive never seen one. 

Looks like they were sold over here...but I doubt many were sold considering the extra cost for no real benefit.  Also as it didn't come out until 2010 people must have known the Mk3 would be coming out soon after anyway... :unsure: 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/car-manufacturers/ford/7196440/Ford-Focus-Econetic-StopStart-review.html

• Like 1

Thanks guys

Sorry @TomsFocus - I meant it hasnt got a button for rear fogs - you switch them on by pulling the fog light button twice (once for front, twice for rears)

If it hasnt got a BMS (which I assumed may have reset the start/stop) does anyone have any ideas how to get the Start/Stop function working again?

Thanks again guys.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Superdonk said:

If it hasnt got a BMS (which I assumed may have reset the start/stop) does anyone have any ideas how to get the Start/Stop function working again?

@JW1982 is probably the only person on the forum that would know with the Mk2 system...but it seems there is no reset from his earlier post?

Do you do any long journeys or is it all short, cold trips?  As well as battery charge, there are other factors that control it, mainly electrical load, AC use and temperatures.  If you only do short journeys it won't work.  

I guess it's like the later the systems where the button illuminates (as if you'd switched it off) if there's a fault with the system.

Also, which battery was fitted?  

As far as I know there is no method to reset the MK2.5 Sart/Stop system.

However because this system was only available on the late versions of the 1.6 TDCI ECOnetic the MK2.5 Start/Stop system is extremely rare. Finding someone who knows this system very well and has the ability to diagnose the system will be very hard. 

Back in the days Ford offered the ECOnetic version of the 1.6 TDCI Focus MK2.5 as an answer to the low emission diesel versions of other car manufacturers. These were very popular because in many countries the low emission diesel models benefited from reduced taxes or even no tax at all. Compared to the "normal"versions of the 1.6 TDCI the first generation of the 1.6 ECOnetic Focus MK2.5 did have a modified gearbox with low friction oil and different gear ratio's, different engine software and several modifications to improve rolling and air resistance like for example the MS design full bodykit, reduced ride height, undertray panelling and the extremely ugly pothole style wheel caps. This version was quite popular because of the good looking bodykit and reduced ride height (The steel wheels with ugly pothole style wheelcaps were usually replaced by nice looking alloy wheels). However despite its success Ford decided to replace the first generation of the 1.6 TDCI ECOnetic Focus MK2.5. The second generation of the 1.6 TDCI ECOnetic Focus MK2.5 introduced the Start/Stop system to reduce emissions which was necessary to meet the (changed) emission regulations. However the second generation did no longer have the MS design bodykit (which was basically the reason why the first generation was quite popular). This is one of the biggest reasons why the sales figures of the 1.6 TDCI ECOnetic Focus MK2.5 dropped after the introduction of the second generation. The result was that Ford stopped the production and these vehicles are extremely rare these days.

• Like 2

Thanks for all your help guys.

I'll just have to make do. I'm pretty sure the system is still active, as when I stall the car (on purpose, i'm not that bad a driver!) the start/stop function kicks in when I put my foot on the clutch and restarts it.

Even on long journeys the thing system still doesnt kick in.

Thanks anyway folks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Superdonk said:

I'll just have to make do. I'm pretty sure the system is still active, as when I stall the car (on purpose, i'm not that bad a driver!) the start/stop function kicks in when I put my foot on the clutch and restarts it.

The Mk2 1.6TDCis (and probably other engines) do this even without start stop.  Mine would stall very occasionally if I braked hard with the clutch down in an emergency situation.  If I lifted the clutch and pressed it again, the engine restarted without having to the turn the key.  At the time I hadn't owned a stop-start car so it was a very weird experience!  

If you ever do find a fix for this, do come back and let us know as it may help someone else in future. :smile: 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club