Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ENGINE OIL PRESSURE LOW

John@Ford

Hello

I just bought (a week ago) the new Ford Focus with 1.5 ecoboost engine, 150 hp. After one week of driving, I got the error ENGINE oil PRESSURE LOW. I drove the vehicle to the service and now I am waiting for the replacement of the engine.
Has anyone else had this error?

It's the same engine in the Fiesta ST which has been out for a year and I've not noticed anything mentioned on ST forums, so I'd expect it to just be a one off faulty engine unfortunately.

Sounds similar to the problem reported in the Focus forum regarding the Mk 4, though I think they were all the 1.0 engine?

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Sounds similar to the problem reported in the Focus forum regarding the Mk 4, though I think they were all the 1.0 engine?

The problem on the 1.0 was a false oil pressure low warning caused by a faulty oil pressure sensor. If the engine is needing replacing then its actual oil pressure problem giving the message. I've not heard of any issues yet with the 1.5

• Like 1

First, the oil pressure sensor was replaced. But that did not help. They made a couple of tests and did not detect any errors. Then they opened the oil filter and found metal particles in it. Then they decided to replace the entire engine and turbine.
Now I must wait 5-6 weeks to supply the engine and turbine.

I hope it's just one bad engine and there is no serial error.

• Like 1

Ah, I meant to ask that. I assumed Ford, generous as we know them to be😀, wouldn't have replaced the engine on the strength of the error message/sensor fault alone. Otherwise they'd have been replacing a lot of those 1.0s on the Mk 4 thread. Let's hope with the 1.5 it is a one-off.

Have they sorted you out with transport in the meantime?

• Like 1

They gave me a Focus 1.0 ecoboost Mk4 replacement vehicle (125). Basic model. I had 1.5 (150Hp) ST-line

• Like 1

That's good they gave you a focus so it's same practicality. Quite often courtesy cars are only a Ka or Fiesta.

• Like 1

Done 5k now in my 1.5 without problems. Dealer would know if this was a known issue?

• Like 1

Just now, Comares2001 said:

Done 5k now in my 1.5 without problems. Dealer would know if this was a known issue?

If there was a recall in place you'd know about it, like the coolant hoses of the previous gen.

Ford won't want to have to keep replacing engines if it's a known issue. I think this is just a one off unfortunate engine, the fact it's gone at such low mileage must mean it was faulty from factory.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, John@Ford said:

Now I must wait 5-6 weeks to supply the engine and turbine.

Considering that they're closing Bridgend due to overcapacity, you'd have thought they could have squeezed one in a bit quicker!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

If there was a recall in place you'd know about it, like the coolant hoses of the previous gen.

I mean, there were hundreds of blown degas hoses before Ford actually did something about it... :unsure: 

I do agree on this one though, I haven't seen of any other 1.5's with this issue, just a Friday afternoon engine I reckon!

• Like 1

In your experience, if the engine and turbine are being replaced could any additional errors occur. Can we say that the car will work just like if it had an original engine installed?

I wonder what is the price of a new engine and turbine?

Maybe a bit like having a heart swap without being given all the anti rejection drugs.

1 hour ago, John@Ford said:

In your experience, if the engine and turbine are being replaced could any additional errors occur. Can we say that the car will work just like if it had an original engine installed?

I wonder what is the price of a new engine and turbine?

The engine and turbo should be identical and work exactly the same.  The only issues that may be caused are by the fitting.  If the tech leaves any bolts loose by accident for example, it does happen but it's not common.  Any further faults should be noticed quickly and rectified under warranty anyway though.

Brand new engines aren't as expensive as you'd think, I'd be surprised if the warranty company had to pay more than about £4000 for the engine & turbo including labour.

• Like 1

Are there any other errors that occur with this model (Focus ST-line 1.5 ecoboost 150Hp)?