Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 Ford Focus Sync problem

Gazanimal

Just picked up my new, 2nd hand 2014 Ford Focus 1.0 (125) S car but hit a couple of issues/queries.

First one is regarding SYNC.
In the centre screen menu I cannot activate or use Sync. No matter what I press, it just doesn't activate.
My iPhone doesn't detect SYNC via bluetooth even when I wait for a few minutes. Now, I've tried to reset SYNC after a Google search which suggested pulling a couple of fuses, starting the engine for 5 mins, then stopping the engine, re-inserting the fuses and then testing if SYNC works, but no joy.
Am I being really thick or is my SYNC on the blink?

Secondly, is my Sat Nav upgradeable? My Focus has inbuilt Sat Nav and Park Pilot, but wasn't sure if there's a way, other than forking out a few too many pounds at a Ford Dealer for the privilege to update the Sat Nav. I've heard it's on an SD card, but not sure where that's located.

Thanks in advance.

The sd card is just above the satnav screen. 

You can get the latest v9 sd card off eBay for around £35.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F372468020151

Does voice control button on steering wheel respond? 

Thanks for the link Ian. Cheaper than direct from Ford 😂

I’ll check the voice control in the morning on the way to work but I suspect it does nothing as the Phone button centre console doesn’t do anything.

If both the bluetooth and Voicecontrol functionality do not work the problem is most likely caused by the APIM (SYNC) module. It can either be a software error or a hardware error. First you should try to reset the APIM module. This can either be done using a suitible diagnostic system or by removing the correct fuse or disconnecting the battery for about 15 minutes.

If resetting the APIM module does not solve the problem the APIM module must be considered defective.

Depending on production date a 2014 MK3 can either have the SYNC 1.0 or SYNC 1.1 system.

• Like 1

Thanks JW1982. I’ve tried removing the two fuses for 5 mins but no luck. I’ll try disconnecting the battery later after I get home from work.

It seems the previous owner of the car had a similar issue as the required fuses to reset Sync are ringed in the handbook. 👍🏻

Just disconnected the battery for about half an hour but no joy.

The Phone button on the centre console still does nothing. The Voice Control button on the steering wheel is inactive still and I can’t get into any of the Sync settings in the Menu system either.

Apart from taking the fuses out for about 10-15 mins in the hope that works I think the APIM module might be broken.

If the last resort of pulling fuses doesn’t work I’ll have to contact the dealer.

Small update;

Contacted the dealer and have booked the car in for them to look at in a couple of weeks as pulling fuses & disconnecting battery didn't work.

In the mean time.....

Today, I was driving to work & listening to the radio when I pulled up at some lights & thought I'd hit the 'Phone' button on the centre console & up popped "No phones are paired with this device" 😲

Grabbed my usb pen stick that has loads of tunes on, plugged it into the USB port & lo-and-behold it started to play the mp3's from the stick. 😲

Parked up & went to work.

Returned later...... back to normal with no bluetooth or usb working when I started the car. 🤣

Now here's the weird thing.... about 5 mins later my Engine Management Light came on for no reason & was still on after I pulled over, stopped the car & then restarted it. It remained on until I got home.

This car is really confusing me 🤔

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd do an update on how things have progressed so far.

Took the car back to the dealer and left it with them all day. They diagnosed that there had either been water in the fuel or more likely, at the last oil change they'd used the wrong oil and had potentially norked the Catalytic Converter. I had to take it back again the following day which was a 2 hour round trip.
On the Sync issues, they couldn't fix it so had to contact a local Ford dealership to get it done. Arranged with a local dealer to take the car in for it to be looked at and sort it under warranty, with Arnold Clark paying the bill.

Fast forward to the 2nd day and they did an engine flush, including injectors as well as an oil and filter change and hoped it would sort the issue. Took the car home & everything was OK..... for about 4 days, then the EML came on again.

Rang them up & they said they'd replace the Cat and booked in for tomorrow (18th July). Hopefully I can sit & wait while they fit it as I don't want to have to trolley off into the City (York) for a few hours as I had my fill of 2 full days there the first time around!

I even bought an OBD-II reader to check if there was anything nefarious happening and the DTC codes matched that there's an issue with the Cat. 
(P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1)

Back to the Sync issue. Took it to a local Ford dealer this morning. They looked at it straight away and the Phone / Aux buttons didn't do anything, even though driving over they'd worked perfectly...lol.
They also did the Clutch software recall while it was with them too.

After about an hour and a half, they've said they need to replace the bluetooth module (not sure if that's the APIM or just another separate module) and need to get it authorised with Arnold Clark so they can book me in to get it fitted and hopefully fixed.

So a TLDR;

Car has still got issues. It's been back to various dealers 4 times in just over 1 month since I bought it, but hopefully the Catalytic Converter being changed & a new bluetooth Module will finally sort things.

5 hours ago, Gazanimal said:

Thought I'd do an update on how things have progressed so far.

Took the car back to the dealer and left it with them all day. They diagnosed that there had either been water in the fuel or more likely, at the last oil change they'd used the wrong oil and had potentially norked the Catalytic Converter. I had to take it back again the following day which was a 2 hour round trip.
On the Sync issues, they couldn't fix it so had to contact a local Ford dealership to get it done. Arranged with a local dealer to take the car in for it to be looked at and sort it under warranty, with Arnold Clark paying the bill.

Fast forward to the 2nd day and they did an engine flush, including injectors as well as an oil and filter change and hoped it would sort the issue. Took the car home & everything was OK..... for about 4 days, then the EML came on again.

Rang them up & they said they'd replace the Cat and booked in for tomorrow (18th July). Hopefully I can sit & wait while they fit it as I don't want to have to trolley off into the City (York) for a few hours as I had my fill of 2 full days there the first time around!

The 1.0 ECOboost has 2 wetbelts (timing belt inside the engine that is lubricated with engine oil). The wetbelts require a special 5W20 viscosity engine oil that meets the Ford WSS-M2C948-B specification. This is the only oil type that is allowed because any other oil that does not meet this specification can affect the material of the wetbelts !

On top of this an engine flush should never be performed on a 1.0 ECOboost because of the wetbelts. The chemicals used for the engine flush will certainly affect the material of the wetbelts. There is a huge risk for premature wetbelt failure when performing an engine flush on the 1.0 ECOboost engines. 

The person who worked on your car must be a real amateur. Using incorrect oil and performing an engine flush suggests that they did not even try to obtain the correct service information for this particular type of engine. You should go back immediately and hold them fully responsible for any further costs involved to rectify these huge mistakes. I strongly recommend to either have the wetbelts replaced as soon as possible or get rid of the car. On a 1.0 ECOboost replacing the wetbelts is a 10 to 12 hour job.

They should have replaced the catalytic converter right away. A defective catalytic converter is not uncommon on the 1.0 ECOboost engine. 

2 hours ago, JW1982 said:

The 1.0 ECOboost has 2 wetbelts (timing belt inside the engine that is lubricated with engine oil). The wetbelts require a special 5W20 viscosity engine oil that meets the Ford WSS-M2C948-B specification. This is the only oil type that is allowed because any other oil that does not meet this specification can affect the material of the wetbelts !

On top of this an engine flush should never be performed on a 1.0 ECOboost because of the wetbelts. The chemicals used for the engine flush will certainly affect the material of the wetbelts. There is a huge risk for premature wetbelt failure when performing an engine flush on the 1.0 ECOboost engines. 

The person who worked on your car must be a real amateur. Using incorrect oil and performing an engine flush suggests that they did not even try to obtain the correct service information for this particular type of engine. You should go back immediately and hold them fully responsible for any further costs involved to rectify these huge mistakes. I strongly recommend to either have the wetbelts replaced as soon as possible or get rid of the car. On a 1.0 ECOboost replacing the wetbelts is a 10 to 12 hour job.

They should have replaced the catalytic converter right away. A defective catalytic converter is not uncommon on the 1.0 ECOboost engine. 

To be fair, the technician that did the oil change isn't the one that put the wrong oil in. Possibly same company but different branch entirely.

Also, I don't actually know what oil was in the car to start with, let alone what is in there now so it could have been on the wrong oil for a while and now on the correct oil, or on good oil previously or now on bad oil. 

Do you work for Ford JW1982 btw?

Oh dear, engine flush in an ecoboost 1.0. thats not a good idea at all!! 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club