Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Ford focus tdci titanium 2.0 diesel bleeding help

Dahill85

I have just bought a focus tdci 2.0 titanium st rep as a project the problem i am having is the car will start on easy start but soon as i stop spraying it it cuts out any1 help 

1 hour ago, Dahill85 said:

the car will start on easy start but soon as i stop spraying it it cuts out any1 help 

With all these Ford deisels, you have to prime the fuel system to get it to run. There is no pump in the tank, so the main pump must suck fuel all the way from the tank, via the filter, to its inlet. But it can not work on air, certainly not at cranking rpm (200 typ), and not very well at towing or easy-start rpm.

A priming system in the line to the fuel filter, capable of pulling fuel from the tank, and forcing it into the main pump is the best way. It is also possible to use a vacuum pump on the return pipe from the fuel pump to suck fuel all the way through.

The old trick of cracking a high pressure fuel union to bleed air is both pointless and risky on these high pressure (22,000psi) common rail engines. The high pressure side of the pump is self bleeding due to the return pipes from each injector and the pump. The problem is getting fuel up to the pump in the first place.

If there is fuel at the pump inlet, then there is a more serious problem, maybe the pump itself or the injectors. A good diagnostic system like Forscan might help if that was the case.

I bought it as a none runner project guy a bought it from said he done injector seats and seals then could t get it to go again do u know the bleeding order there is air in the fuel line yes easy start gets car to start but nothing at the peddle 

20 minutes ago, Dahill85 said:

do u know the bleeding order there is air in the fuel line

There is no order, it is a matter of ramming fuel (ideally from before the filter in order to avoid ramming any dirt in!), into the pump, then cranking a bit, and repeating. It needs a good quality priming bulb or pump capable of a reasonable bit of pressure. Many priming bulbs, like the one I bought, have badly made valves that hardly give any pressure. You need to be able to push fuel fairly hard into the pump to push the air out of the other side into the return pipe to the tank.

Go easy with the easy start. The compression ratio is high, and the ignitions are completely uncontrolled. There are reports of damage to glowplugs and even injector nozzles from detonations caused by this method of starting a diesel. Rare, I am sure, but it can happen.

Forscan can record the fuel pressure and rpm build up while cranking, to verify if the pressure is going up ok. It needs about 200rpm and about 200Bar of pressure before the injectors start to open and fire up the engine. Below is a normal engine start.

Start2a.PNG

I bought a hand priming pump but tbh its a ***** yin lol so u recommend buying forscan? Can i give u my number and we speak 2moz mate?

16 minutes ago, Dahill85 said:

I bought a hand priming pump but tbh its a ***** yin lol so u recommend buying forscan?

Most of those priming pumps are ****. I fitted a non-return valve in the fuel line, which combined with the bulb did an adequate job.

The non-return valve I used was the 8mm version of: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291512397207

Photos in:

Forscan will not bleed the air out!, but it is a useful tool for any Ford owner to have. The adapter costs about £16, eg like:

https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/

and the software is free download for WIndows or modest charge for iOS or Android Apps from:

http://forscan.org/download.html

If a really good method of priming the system, where you can feel solid resistance of fuel up to the pump, fails, then Forscan might help to identify some other problem like the VCV valve or insufficient rpm.

Guy just told me he had all injectors out to do seats and seals then when put back together car wouldnt start

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club