Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No auto lock on the mk4

Guy Heaton

I want the doors to lock automatically while driving.  I can't find anything that says the MK4 can do this.

This seems daft to me, pretty much every other modern car can do this. 

Or am I missing something?

Ford Europe does not support autolocking because of legal reasons. The possibility to activate the autolocking functionality in the car configuration is greyed out in the Ford diagnostic system software since 2007. This basically means that a Ford dealer can not activate autolocking.

If you want to activate autolocking you need a Ford specific diagnostic system that has the ability to activate the autolocking system. For example the free Forscan software in combination with a (modified) ELM327 interface. Once activated the autolocking functionality can be switched on/off on the Focus MK4 from within the instrument cluster menu.

• Like 2

Cheers, I'll have a Google for forscan

where within forscan can i find the setting to enable autolocking?

i have just used forscan to enable the rear camera i installed, was looking for auto locking and cant find it.

My only worry with forscan is I'll screw something up and invalidate my warranty.

I fund where to enable it I. Forscan now.

But it won’t allow me to enable it. I’m in the UK with a UK focus, so I’m guessing it can’t be enabled on a UK model?

18 minutes ago, Wezaa said:

I fund where to enable it I. Forscan now.

But it won’t allow me to enable it. I’m in the UK with a UK focus, so I’m guessing it can’t be enabled on a UK model?

Does it say why? Is it part of the extended licence?

1 hour ago, alexp999 said:

Does it say why? Is it part of the extended licence?

It was because I want in engineer mode. 

After that it let me change it, but fail to write the change. So still not enabled atm.

On 6/15/2019 at 11:06 AM, JW1982 said:

Ford Europe does not support autolocking because of legal reasons.

Another naff decision by Ford. I wouldn't be without auto locking where I drive, especially in any kind of newer car. The amount of numptys going around trying to get into/steal cars is unreal.

Maybe I will rethink my future car being a Ford if this is not a feature! 😛

• Like 1

We able to enable it on my MK3.5 just now. Tested and working.

More carjackings = more replacement cars sold. the rate that car sales are dropping they are getting desperate

• 4 months later...

Ford Europe does not support autolocking because of legal reasons. The possibility to activate the autolocking functionality in the car configuration is greyed out in the Ford diagnostic system software since 2007. This basically means that a Ford dealer can not activate autolocking.

If you want to activate autolocking you need a Ford specific diagnostic system that has the ability to activate the autolocking system. For example the free Forscan software in combination with a (modified) ELM327 interface. Once activated the autolocking functionality can be switched on/off on the Focus MK4 from within the instrument cluster menu.

Sorry to reignite an old thread. Just returned to the club/a focus MK4 after a 3 year hiatus and want to get auto lock enabled (remember having to do this on my old Mk2.5 via ELMConfig).  Any idea if you must have an extended license to do this, when trying to access the config of any module (eg bodycm) I getting that I need to have an extended license, but other stuff I have read indicates you shouldn't need one.  TIA

I don’t really see why anyone would want this feature. There’s the central lock button on the door if it’s a safety thing. Personally I never drive with doors locked. If u get into a bad crash it could be costly. 

• Like 1

Cant understand why you wouldn’t want it for security. All cars doors auto unlock in an accident so thats not a concern. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, madmole said:

Cant understand why you wouldn’t want it for security. All cars doors auto unlock in an accident so thats not a concern. 

Unless the electrics are damaged in the impact...  

It's purely Ford covering themselves, if the doors didn't unlock for whatever reason, they could be sued.  If you lock them yourself it's not their problem.  

The unlock is part of the crash detection system that also does the airbags snd seatbelts. Its activated way before the damage could be bad enough to cut wires

• Like 1

The unlock is part of the crash detection system that also does the airbags snd seatbelts. Its activated way before the damage could be bad enough to cut wires

I thought you needed an extended licence for any programming?

I've decided against doing any programming in case I brick it so I've got in the habit of pressing the lock button.

But it really should be a configurable option.

Works fine, you need the modified ELM327 (with the CAN switch) to enable the feature

• 3 years later...

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I have just successfully enable Auto Locking and Relocking on my new to me 2020 Mk4 ST Line X edition.

After having enabled the autolock/relock feature on my Mk1, my MK2 ST, and then on both of my Mk3.5's, then enabling this feature is a must for me anyway.

Simple enough to do with a laptop, Forscan with Extended license (paid or 2 month free) and an OBD adaptor (Mine are OBD Link Ex or A VGate FS VLinker), for me I went in to the IPC>Module Configuration>Autolock "Enable" and then Auto Relock "Enable", wrote to the IPC, went for a drive and bishbashbosh doors are locked. 🙂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KevG said:

Simple enough to do with a laptop, Forscan

Here's a few other things you can try (at your own risk), remember to always back-up before making changes.

Mk4.JPG

• Like 1

do you know the law or legislation behind this?  it's strange every car i have owned always an autoblock doors once over a certain speed. 12mph

2 hours ago, IrishFocus-ST-Line said:

do you know the law or legislation behind this? 

As far as I know, it is not a "law" problem here in the UK. It is simply that Ford were/are concerned that in the event of accident your passengers could find themselves locked in. Of course the bizarre logic is that it is quite OK for you to manually press the locking button which has the same affect but at least the Ford executives can sleep soundly knowing it was nothing to do with them.

The option to turn on the auto locking and auto re-locking together with the options to add these to the IPC menu can usually be found in the BCM and IPC menus using FORScan (use at your own risk). See my post above for details.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club