Do Not Sell My Personal Information

steering rack issue

oldhenry

Hello

I am a Mondeo owner but my brother has a KA Studio 2013 17,000 mils. His garage says he needs new inner tie rods and will need a new steering rack. The quote is astronomical to me for a newish car which has not been crashed.

Anyone any experience of inner tie rod replacement? Or even steering rack replacement. The garage he uses is a Ford agent.

Thanks

Ford don't supply the inner tie rods, only the rack at approx £570 then fitting and wheel alignment . Not cheap at all. 

Was this an MOT failure on these parts?  Most cars go through their whole life not needing these parts. I can see that the ball joints on the inner ends of these would wear more if driven with split gaiters but gaiters seem to last years and years these days.  I think this ball joint is one where some MOT testers don't seem to allow any play at all whereas others allow some if not excessive.

Thank everyone.

I approached an independent small garage who said he never heard of such wear in 13,000 miles. But he can replace inner tie rods  if necessary for £100 all in. Compares favorably with Ford agent quote of £900. 

Second opinion is often worth having.

• Like 1

It is a fiat so not unusual for joints to wear out early, there prone to lower arm ball joints wearing out at similar mileages also.