Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Damaged Wing Mirror + Novice = Should I repair it?

JoanneLowe

Hi everyone, can anyone tell me how easy is it for a complete novice to change a whole wing mirror on an 2014 (older shape) S Max? 

Driving along last week and someone coming the other way took the indicator lens clean off, cracking the black plastic surround and mirror. I turned round but they didn't stop :(

Problem is my car has the blind spot indicator thingy and power folding mirrors. I have found a power folding wing mirror unit for about £60 + a replacement mirror for £40 which is looking better than paying my insurance excess of £350!

Not sure if the orignal mirror was heated - I dont think it is. Also, the replacement wing mirror unit has a different colour plastic cover - thankfully this escaped damage on my car so is it possible to swap them over?

Any advice greatly appreciated, not sure what to do. Dont want to buy all this stuff and find it doesn't work. 

Thanks so so much for anyone would can offer any advice.

Jo

The hardest part is getting the door cards off, hidden screws, i dont the SMax to be able to guide you through that bit but the mirror is easily swopped its normally just one bolt the wiring just plugs in, i would be suprised if your mirror wasnt heated. The covers can be changed.

The original glass would have been heated.  Even the most basic spec cars have heated mirrors nowadays but they come on with the heated rear screen on Fords so there's no seperate button.

I'm not sure you'll have to remove the whole door card on the SMax, see if the 'triangle' above the door card just pulls off.  If so, you should see the plug and 1-3 screws behind there.  They're likely to be Torx head but you can usually wedge a flat screwdriver in tight enough.

The coloured caps just clip in but being plastic they are prone to snapping.  If the glass is still in place, push it right down into the corner, then pull the top corner towards you and it'll pop out.  Then you'll be able the ease the plastic clips of the cover out of the mirror base.

I had exactly the same thing happen last week with someone smashing the mirror and not stopping so I know your frustration here!  

• 2 weeks later...

Taking the door card off is fairly simple. Mixture of torx and cross heads. Then you can take the triangle bit of trim off the window that exposes the mirror bolt. The while assembly should come off as 1 piece, careful to disconnect the wiring block. Also I'm not sure if the wiring blocks are identical if you have non powered/heated mirrors. My Galaxy doesn't, I had to get a complete new unit and paint matched cover as the whole lot was mullered. Got the mirror assy from carparts4less and there were 3 options on connector block.

Whole job took about 40 mins plus a brew😉

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club