Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch sealer

sonic113

Ok planning on putting the new clutch kit in tomorrow and looking at the manual it's saying that I need ford sealer wsk-M2G348-A5. 

I don't have this and will have to get some, has anyone used this or an alternative.

On the Valeo site it states this:

Ford produce and sell an anaerobic sealer, this can be supplied from Ford with part number WSK-M2G348-A5 (superseded from ESK-M4G269-A) or equivalent Loctite 518.

https://www.valeoservice.com/en-com/techassist/technical-bulletin/anaerobic-sealer-required-when-replacing-concentric-slave-cylinder-810031

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

1 hour ago, ferretfloozy said:

Loctite 510 ?

Not sure, the local factors never heard of the 518 stuff and told me that they never heard tell of anyone using anything to seal around the CSC on a clutch change.

It mentions it in the haynes manual so I might try instant gasket stuff that's suited to oil instead of water and see how that goes.

But haven't you got a 1.6 petrol ? That sealant is only required on the mtx 75 box , not the ib5 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, iantt said:

But haven't you got a 1.6 petrol ? That sealant is only required on the mtx 75 box , not the ib5 

Ian your a life saver mate,

Yes mine is the 1.6 petrol so I was thinking its the ib5  and so I wont need this then? 

according to the Haynes manual the petrol 1.4,1.6, & 1.8 are fitted with the IB5 and the 2.0 is fitted with the MTX 75.

Looking at the clutch chapter in the Haynes manual its just says to apply a bed of sealant to the slave cylinder. is doesn't state which exact box? But on the Valeo link its states:

When replacing the concentric slave cylinder (CSC) 810031 on Ford vehicles fitted with a MTX-75 (5 speed) gearbox an anaerobic sealer is needed between the CSC and gearbox bell housing to prevent gearbox oil leaking along the shaft.

so maybe it is just for the MTX75. Strange that it does not specify in the Haynes manual if the IB5 needs this. 

anyone with access to etis could you check this out for me to see if it states anything different?

I think to be safe I will just pop some instant gasket around it, it can only help I suppose.

Thanks

• Like 1

That's what I did, check etis for you. The ib5 Def doesn't require sealant as the design of the casings is different around the input shaft bearing/seal. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, iantt said:

That's what I did, check etis for you. The ib5 Def doesn't require sealant as the design of the casings is different around the input shaft bearing/seal. 

Thanks Ian, box is out at moment , just on a dinner break then will fit clutch and start the rebuild.

Will update post later on progress .

• Like 1

Ok little  update I got all built back up tonight but it got late so I didn't get all finished. Just have to give it another bleed possibly and top up gearbox oil.

Now saying that how much oil does the focus hold in the gear box? I made sure she was sitting level and I  put 1 litre in of gearbox oil tonight but it seems like she will hold more as it's not flowing out of the refill hole yet, so plan to get another bottle in the morning.

8 hours ago, sonic113 said:

Ok little  update I got all built back up tonight but it got late so I didn't get all finished. Just have to give it another bleed possibly and top up gearbox oil.

Now saying that how much oil does the focus hold in the gear box? I made sure she was sitting level and I  put 1 litre in of gearbox oil tonight but it seems like she will hold more as it's not flowing out of the refill hole yet, so plan to get another bottle in the morning.

Not sure on the IB5, MTX75 is 1.9 litres.  Whatver the IB5 takes it will be closer to 2 litres than 1.

• Like 1

IB5 is about 2.3 litres iirc.  Bit late now but in future if you're not sure, it's worth measuring how much comes out. :smile: 

Just now, TomsFocus said:

IB5 is about 2.3 litres iirc.  Bit late now but in future if you're not sure, it's worth measuring how much comes out. :smile: 

Yeah it is 2.3, I got more this morning so will it later. I know I should of measured how much I took out ,will make note for next time lol!. 

Do I just keep her level and fill untill it starts flowing out the fill plug?

• Like 1

Just now, sonic113 said:

Do I just keep her level and fill untill it starts flowing out the fill plug?

Yep, it really is that simple! :biggrin: 

• Like 1

Thanks, hopefully get it sorted after work later .

Update, clutch all fitted and fluids all in. So far no leaks so I must if did something correct lol! 

Car driving great , New clutch feels so light compared to old one,  but maybe over time with a few 100 miles of driving  it will change a little or I just need to get use to it. The old one was so heavy feeling and at the end it was wrecked lol!

• Like 2

Well done! :biggrin:

New clutches are really light, especially on low CC petrols, it does take some getting used to after months/years of a worn one! :laugh: 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Sorry to drag up on an old post does anybody know if the sealer is required on the 6 speed gearbox. I have a 2008 Ford Mondeo 1.8 tdci with the 6 speed gearbox. I am fitting new flywheel and full clutch kit with an LUK kit. When removing the old cylinder there was no signs of sealer and no signs of any leak from the input shalf my LUK kit makes no mention of using sealer when installing slave cylinder. Does anyone know if it's needed or not only want to do this once so need to be certain. Thanks in advance 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club