Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Press clutch and brake

Gis

Hi just got my fiesta 2013 on Saturday and to start it you have to  press clutch and brake it’s a 1.6 diesel eco I thought you only needed to press clutch to start.

Does this indicate a faulty clutch it seems a bit heavy 

Not heard of that - had both petrol and diesel Fiestas and only needed to depress the clutch on both. Depressing the brake when starting is usually only necessary on an automatic.

i thought I read on here a while back that someone had similar problem and it was because the switch on the clutch pedal had come adrift and was hanging down beside the pedal on it's wire. I know that does not entirely make sense as regards needing to press the brake, but if I was you i would have a look at the clutch pedal to see if there is a switch dangling on a wire or a disconnected wire dangling. But it's not that easy to get your head up there to see. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, isetta said:

I know that does not entirely make sense as regards needing to press the brake, but if I was you i would have a look at the clutch pedal to see if there is a switch dangling on a wire or a disconnected wire dangling.

Yep, if the PCM doesn't detect the clutch switch input when starting, it asks for a brake switch input as well.  This does occur as a random glitch on some cars but if it's constantly happening then there's likely to be an issue with the clutch switch. :smile:

Thanks it’s going in on Thursday to we’re i bought it from don’t want them to fob me off

how far do you have to travel and do you have to leave it with them or will they check it whilst you wait.  sticking your head up there with a torch and checking for the clutch switch might be more convenient.  I don't think it can be related to heavy clutch. Heavy is comparative term. I have not driven a petrol fiesta of same era (mine is 1.5tdci) so I don't know if diesel is heavier clutch to cope with extra torque of the diesel engine.

Hi mate you was right there is a wire with a box on the end hanging free the box as a plastic plunger sticking out of it but when I hold the. Plunger in and turn the key it still ask for clutch and brake to be pressed down anyway it’s going on tomorrow thanks for your help 

The switch is probably broken internally. I had a similar problem with a previous car and because the spring had broken internally it was not allowing the plunger to move to It's full range and make/break the electrical contact, although from the outside the plunger seemed to be moving freely.

I didn't have the correct size of spring so I bought a new switch, which was quite cheap. It shouldn't take too long to replace, it is more of a skint knuckle and sore back job.

• 2 years later...

Its strange as I only had to press my clutch and now it wants me to press both, even stranger now it wont start at all, when I jump it starts straight away.   I have a good vehicle electrician and he is looking at it on Thursday.   I actually think its a diagnition warning and will find out Thursday/Friday

• Confused 1

Chris, did you find out a fix for this? my focus  randomly wont start when pressing start button or when it auto stops at traffic lights it wont re start. only way to do it is by bumping.

• 6 months later...

I’ve just had this happen on my 2017 Focus 1.5 Eco-boost

where I have to press down on both the Clutch and Brake Peddles.

is this typical and what’s the solution?

19 hours ago, MarkM1962 said:

what’s the solution?

See above posts.

• Like 1