mokes

Focus Mk2 Automatic - undertray or not?

I recently got a nice low mileage Focus 1.6 automatic, but notice it has no undertray so any mud and water gets sprayed all over the belts, sesors etc. I am lead to bellieve that the automatics didn't have a tray or at least a different one was fitted maybe ( according to  one scrapyard I spoke to). Ford have yet to get back to me with a part number, so I can't even do a search myself.

Can anyone confirm if a 1.6 Auto has a tray or not?

While you're there, should it have a top engine cover and insulation under the bonnet too?

Very odd decision by Ford if all these are not standard.

Thanks.

22 hours ago, mokes said:

I recently got a nice low mileage Focus 1.6 automatic, but notice it has no undertray so any mud and water gets sprayed all over the belts, sesors etc. I am lead to bellieve that the automatics didn't have a tray or at least a different one was fitted maybe ( according to  one scrapyard I spoke to). Ford have yet to get back to me with a part number, so I can't even do a search myself.

While you're there, should it have a top engine cover and insulation under the bonnet too?

Thanks.

Are there any screw plugs for the under-tray?There are a couple On eBay at the moment worth considering 👍

7 hours ago, williamweb said:

Are there any screw plugs for an under-tray?There are a couple On eBay at the moment worth considering 👍

Agree with William, the screw holes are quite obvious being fitted with red screw plugs / metal threaded clips.

Also a 1.6 Petrol? Mine didn't come with an engine cover or bonnet insulation (mk 2.5) and reading the threads about previous versions of the Focus having "leaky" washer jets that leak water into the spark plug wells I imagine it's not a standard thing on the petrols.

Ford are quite helpful, it may be worth ringing your local dealer and asking them the question, they can look it up on the computer and tell you for sure 😛

On 6/18/2019 at 3:36 PM, mokes said:

Thanks.

Hi Mate

I have had two 1.6 autos and they both had tray`s on them, I now have 2ltr and that has one on if it didn`t I would fit one  but that`s personal choice.

cheers

Alan

Hi chaps

Thanks for the replies. 

Ford have eventually confirmed that ' no part is listed for my car' regarding an undertray.

There are fittings on the car so I assumed the tray was once there. I have seen loads on ebay but the sellers can't confirm they would fit an automatic.

I'm not sure why Ford would omit a tray as it protects the belts and wires and gear cables I would think.

How would it be different in shape to a 'standard' one? Is it omitted to increase cooling for the tranny? If so, why do some, like Alans, have one fitted?

1 hour ago, mokes said:

Hi chaps

Thanks for the replies. 

Ford have eventually confirmed that ' no part is listed for my car' regarding an undertray.

There are fittings on the car so I assumed the tray was once there. I have seen loads on ebay but the sellers can't confirm they would fit an automatic.

I'm not sure why Ford would omit a tray as it protects the belts and wires and gear cables I would think.

How would it be different in shape to a 'standard' one? Is it omitted to increase cooling for the tranny? If so, why do some, like Alans, have one fitted?

Hi Mate

I believe they are the same mine looks no different to a manual one my son had on his he now got St and I think they same not really looked I could be wrong, they do protect belts and stops things getting crap on them,

The tranny is ok cooling wise so wouldn`t worry about that

Ordered Friday, so today I went to pick up my nice shiny brand new tray but they'd sent the wrong one. Looks like they sent the small one that goes under the radiator despite the listing saying different and the picture showing the main under tray. They want to 'check' the part they sent before doing anything to correct the mistake so now got to wait even longer.  They should have checked it before posting it I'd have thought. Oh well....

1 hour ago, mokes said:

Ordered Friday, so today I went to pick up my nice shiny brand new tray but they'd sent the wrong one. Looks like they sent the small one that goes under the radiator despite the listing saying different and the picture showing the main under tray. They want to 'check' the part they sent before doing anything to correct the mistake so now got to wait even longer.  They should have checked it before posting it I'd have thought. Oh well....

I think they have sent you what Ford call an air diffuser👍

In an effort to get it sorted quicker I sent them the part number on the part they sent but they said that was a manufacturers number and they dont use them. No wonder they send out the wrong parts.

I can just imagine the warehouse picking conversation : "It's black, plastic and fits under the car...that must be the right part, send iit out"

That sounds about right.If the under-tray is not an OEM part than the finis number will probably be meaningless to them👍

The bit he sent is the large bit in the middle of the diagram below. Is that the diffuser? (Just so I can let him know what he sent me rather than me waiting until next week before he even thinks about sending out the right part.)

image.png.3139b4c744a81574ad809f9e5fd786df.png

31 minutes ago, mokes said:

The bit he sent is the large bit in the middle of the diagram below. Is that the diffuser? (Just so I can let him know what he sent me rather than me waiting until next week before he even thinks about sending out the right part.)

image.png.3139b4c744a81574ad809f9e5fd786df.png

Looks like it to me.I will qualify my comment by saying I have a MK1

Mines is a 1.6 manual and no under tray only a small part at the front end and a splash guard under the belts.

It does appear to be a lottery whether the undertray was fitted to them or not. I'd prefer one as I drive through a lot of sh*t on my way to work and it ends up all over the engine bay.

Its just a Ford cost saving thing maybe.....not putting a tray on, not fitting a top engine cover and no bonnet insulation.

I sent the 'wrong' part back expecting the right part to be posted by return. All I got was a refund ( eventually) , no explaination and certainly no replacement part. Ford say there is no part number assigned to my car for an undertray and it seems that some have them, some don't. I'll try again, maybe get the right part this time and then I'll be back on here asking why it won't fit...LOL

can you not have alook in any scrap yards

3 hours ago, mokes said:

I sent the 'wrong' part back expecting the right part to be posted by return. All I got was a refund ( eventually) , no explaination and certainly no replacement part. Ford say there is no part number assigned to my car for an undertray and it seems that some have them, some don't. I'll try again, maybe get the right part this time and then I'll be back on here asking why it won't fit...LOL

Have you had a look under the car?

There are quite obvious red screw plugs on mine (which the undertray screws onto) - if yours has these situated around the edge then i'd expect a tray would fit. 

Not had a proper look but can't see that Ford would make a different chassis depending on an undertray being fitted or not.

Bought some fixings ( red as you say) just in case!

Had a better look, the holes are there but not the plastic fixings. It looks like tray was never there because the belts are vaguely protected by a plastic skid plate, in lieu of a proper tray. The rest of the underside is exposed though, including the rod for the gearbox, which I really would not want to get covered in 'mud'. What a tight arsed measure by Ford.