Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Plastic headlight mount broken

MJJ94

Found that the headlight mount was broken so took it to TrustFord. I’ve attached a picture of the problem. They want £200 to replace my headlight. It looks like the other side is also slightly weakened (as though ford have sabotaged it ready to break)

i likw to consider myself a steady driver so I’m quite annoyed that ford are accusing me of damaging it with impact. 

Any ideas how this can be fixed without a new headlight. Is there some glue I could botch it with?

if I were to botch it would that have any consequences. 

Just so you know the car is almost a year old

784B0DF0-7491-443D-A888-A4F78A3B481E.jpeg

Whenever someone has come to me with a broken headlight bracket I just use an old soldering iron to melt the plastic back together. I usually have a little piece knocking around to use as filling material if required.

As long as you can line the two pieces back up relatively well (yours should be dead easy) you won't be able to tell when the bonnets shut. I've had one where the bracket broke off right at the headlight, so had to sort of guess where it went back together,

Thanks for the reply

I’ve screwed 2 metal brackets on it to hold it in place. I’ll keep my eye on it. I don’t see the point in forking out for a new headlight if it’s unoticable 

I don't see how they can imply that you've broken this through impact if there's no other damage (eg to the light itself or surrounding bodywork). Other members have reported this bracket breaking and had theirs sorted under warranty.

• Like 1

Is the bonnet hitting the headlights when it's closed?  I've never seen headlight brackets just randomly snap on any other car but it seems to be happening regularly on the Mk8s!! :unsure:

As above though....if you're supposed to have damaged them, ask them to point out the rest of the impact damage...

• Like 2

Take it back to your dealer tell them there talking *****.

That is warranty due to the height of the bonnet breaking the mounting point on headlamp.

Tell them to check there technical service bulletins. A repair kit is available and replacement headlamps are not required.

• Like 2

Ours were sorted out under warranty. Both were broken or damaged, wobbly headlights. Looks like a fix and not a replacement but works fine.

• Like 2

I had my drivers side headlight replaced under warranty after noticing a wobbly headlight washing my car.

The car at the time was only 3 weeks old - took them around a month to get a new headlight at the time though!!

Cheers - Paul.

What might break a plastic tab like that might be over tightening the screw - On a Puma radiator grille I just araldited another strip of plastic over the top.

• 2 years later...

My 2019 st-line x and my mrs 2018 1.1 vtech have both got 1 Headlight clip broken

It's a common fault- they are slightly stressed and can easily crack even when just sat in situ. One of mine was held together (just) with Araldite when I got the car- later when I shifted the headlight unit it just fell apart, so I knocked up a (very) quick bit of metal that does the job nicely, though I'll make something that looks better when I have a minute-

20211013_140330.jpg

32 minutes ago, Joseph1984 said:

My 2019 st-line x and my mrs 2018 1.1 vtech have both got 1 Headlight clip broken

VTech Baby Toot-Toot Drivers Everyday Vehicle - Single Assorted | Kid's Toy  Swap Subscription | Whirli

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi There, 

I made a metal plate to cover the actual bracket from screw area to curve of headlight.

drilled clearance hole for screw into metal holding point, Then drilled 2 smaller clearance

holes (In metal plate) over plastic tab area to screw into then pilot holes in plastic tab.

Before ***** together used aridite to join together then screw in place. Much better

solid join. Also try eBay search for your make and model year for repair bracket on

headlights. Hope this all helps

3 minutes ago, Henryge said:

Before ***** together used aridite to join

There is no 5crewing allowed on this forum.   Humping is OK 🤣

• Haha 2

Youtube has started putting plastic weld videos on my feed. Probably after reading this thread 😁

Has anyone tried doing this for the broken tabs or is it too much hassle ?? There's a comment on the first vid about using wire mesh to reinforce the break then (I presume) filling in with the plastic rods

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club