2014.1.6tdcifocus

Engine swap to the 2014 St diesel engine

Hi, 

Really hope someone can provide some clarity on this. 

I own a 2014 1.6tdci Ford focus 114?bhp, a few weeks ago the engine started to rattle and then subsequently broke completely (yes this was due to no coolent and the whole engine overheating and blowing its insides). 

So I'd like to take this opportunity to through in a 2014 or slightly newer st diesel engine, the 184bhp. 

Firstly, would the engine it's self be a straight swap out or would it not even be possible to replace the 1.6 with the St engine? 

I figure, if it is possible, there will be other thi gs that need to be swapped out but what? 

Cheers 

Hi Ben, you might get a better response posting your query in the Focus forum, rather than here.

Moved for you 😉

Might be better just to focus (no pun intended) on the regular 2.0 TDCi and remap it, it would surely be more straight forward.

That said, the 2.0 TDCI in both "normal" and ST guise use a different gearbox to the 1.6 TDCi

It'll be possible...but it won't be cheap!!  Would need the whole engine with mounts, turbo, wiring loom and PCM.  Plus gearbox, clutch, and I think the driveshafts are different.  Then there's the exhaust as well.

And after all that you'd also be stuck with a car with a decent engine, but rubbish brakes and comfort suspension that isn't suited to the extra power and weight.

Honestly, it'll be cheaper, easier and more insurable to just buy a 2.0 TDCi Focus.  You'll probably find it's powerful enough after the 1.6, but even if not, a remap is cheap and easy.

Technically the 2.5 5 cylinder ST engine will fit in my car, but I wouldn't want to try it!

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Honestly, it'll be cheaper, easier and more insurable to just buy a 2.0 TDCi Focus.  

Problem is, at the moment Ben doesn't have a working car, depends what's really wanted here.

Are we looking at getting the car back on the road fairly cheaply, and doing an upgrade (if practical) at the same time? If so, as already said the 2.0 upgrade won't be easy and not insurance or residual value friendly. If on the other hand we're looking at a project as a long term keeper, that's a different case again.

An equivalent 2.0 tdci of around the same age seems to be around the £7,000-7,500 mark, less what you could get for the non runner.

The easiest option to get a workable vehicle would seem to be a recon engine (if it's salvageable) or source and fit, or have fitted, a used 1.6tdci. There seem to be quite a few around from £600 to £900 depending on mileage.