Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 Focus 1.5 S Aux In?

Cassetteman

Hi,

Hoping someone can advise me please. I have a 2016 Focus 1.5 S, which doesn't appear to have an audio "Aux in" anywhere. I think the radio is a Ford Sync 2 system? In the front tray there is a USB socket and below the arm rest, in the center console, there's a USB and SD Card slot. Also, in the 'source' menu, there is no option for Aux or Line in?

I've tried other methods to get an external audio into the system, such as FM Transmitter, which gave poor quality audio and bluetooth transmitter, which wouldn't connect at all.

Is it possible to fit a Aux In 3.5mm socket to this car?

Many thanks.

Pete.

I didn’t know you could get sync 2 in a focus without the aux in. Mines got it in the arm rest with the usb and card slot. I imagine you could buy and fit the hub which includes the aux in, but it would probably need programming with FORScan.

Does you music player not have bluetooth built in? I connect my iPad either via bluetooth or usb. I think you could use the usb instead of aux in, plus you’d be charging at the same time and you can change track from the stereo.

Thank you for your reply.

I have most of my music on minidisk or cassettes. Neither of the players have bluetooth built in. I did buy a bluetooth transmitter, but it seems that the Sync 2 will only connect to a phone's bluetooth, once it is 'Paired'.

I'll investigate a new hub and get one. I really just wanted to know if such a thing as a hub with an aux in socket existed. Not sure about programming with FORScan though? I guess a dealer could do that?

Peter.

I don’t know much about FORScan myself, I’ve only used it for a few things, perhaps someone that knows more about it will be able to advise.

If your bluetooth transmitter is like the one I have, it doesn’t actually transmit the signal via bluetooth to the stereo. Mine is designed to connect to your phone or iPod or bluetooth enabled device and then transmit that signal as FM for a none Bluetooth stereo to pick up. Yours might be different, but that could be why you can’t connect the stereo to it.

Have you been able to test the USB ports or the sd card slot, does the car have a sat nav? The reason I ask is it look as though the hub in your picture has been levered out at some point, see the screwdriver marks. 

I did try using one of those bluetooth transmitters with the FM transmitter, but they don't have a good treble response. Also, it's hard to find a frequency that is clear, so often get strange sounds breaking through.

The car does have Sat nav, so the SD Card slot contains the maps. Today I tried a USB memory stick, with some MP3 files on. The memory stick was recognised and the track played fine, so the media hub appears to be working. I've only had the car since March, so have to get familiar with its features. The scratches were there when I got the car, but I have now taken out the hub, which is just clipped in, to see what's behind. Pictures attached. So now I have to look for something similar, but with a line-in socket on the front.

Peter.20190621_222834.thumb.jpg.10738d4f22f103a94d110e64611add5e.jpg20190621_223006(1).thumb.jpg.d232873c7a1d582cb2c08db170c2a6eb.jpg

I've attached a scan of the brochure (May 2017) for the Focus models. Only the Style ECOnetic is listed as having an Aux-in!

Focus_Specs.jpg

I don’t know when they changed, but by 2017 the focus had sync 3 fitted which uses a different media hub they didn’t have the card slot as the nav maps are built in. So that list won’t tell you what your car would have. 

I’ve got a hub with usb SD and line in spare. If your wiring is correct just a straight swap

It annoyed me that they took out the aux input with sync3.
I wanted Alexa in the car and the current app available is American by source so won't play my amazon music as it is an UK account (plus the app is inconsistent in that the car doesn't always find it).
My other option I tried was a spare Echo Dot I had knocking around which will run on mobile data but will not link by bluetooth to the car (sync needs code verification at both ends to pair up and obviously can't with the dot or any A2DP dongle).
The Dot has an aux output but now I have no input on the car so stuffed there.
Might try an aux to USB adaptor but not holding out hope.
I do use Alexa via my phone when on a magnetic dash mount but I don't always want my phone out of my belt pouch as I'd tend to forget it when exiting my car.
Hopefully the official UK version of the Ford Alexa app will come out at some point and be stable.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Hi Tommo17,

Here's a picture of the connections on the rear of the media hub. Basically it's a couple of mini-USB connectors inside a Ford moulded plug, plus another multi-way plug.

Peter.

20190626_180942.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Another possible option could be to take out the Sync 2 unit and replace with a standard DIN or Double DIN radio which has a Line In? I've not any use for the Sat Nav, Phone Sync, USB or DAB functions, so are fine to lose them.

Does anyone know if this is possible, or does the Sync 2 unit also have functions in the car's control system?