Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake pad issue?

Winchester

Hi there 

I have just had new brake pads fitted to my 65 plate Ford Focus Zetec after it was identified from its MOT. 

The brakes have squealed since they were fitted but when looking at the pads they do not sit flush to the disc. I have also noticed a considerable difference in the braking of the car. 

Is this normal or do I need to go back to the garage that fitted them? 

Thanks in advance 

2286D172-CC6E-474C-B4A2-149BB1349802.jpeg

39598C86-0DFE-49C5-92DD-F77782F32C52.jpeg

DC7BF888-EE1A-4EB6-97ED-BDCD00E2ECA6.jpeg

6A309684-D4A5-4E7F-8FC0-6E5368FD3A0C.png

I’d go back to the garage.Maybe not seated right.Shouldnt be squealing.Pads don’t look like they are having even contact with disc.

Thanks for your reply 

Very loud squeal so will give the garage a call and take the car in to them so they can have a look. 

Cheers 

i recently fitted new pads to my fiesta and the new ones were chamfered at the edges. I don't know why they do that but yours look the same, so i dont think there is a problem with the way they sit.

I don't know why they squeal. In the old days the practice was to put copper grease on the back of the pad to stop squealing. I still do this, I don't know if garages do or not.

see this pic which shows the chamfer - I am not saying these pads are exactly same as yours but you can see what I mean:

https://www.eurocarparts.com/search/101880209?type=shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9vexvNT44gIVgQvTCh1KEATTEAQYAyABEgKA5_D_BwE

• Like 1

The chamfer is there to reduce noise.  The pads do look odd in your pictures but I think it's just the photo angle! :unsure:

What make of pads were fitted?

I would stay away from ATS if I was you, I had new pads and discs fitted a couple of months ago and this Saturday will be my 3rd trip back to them to silence my pads.

They've already tried to clean them and replace the pads but after a while the squeak returns so now they want to replace the discs and pads again.

21 minutes ago, kingfisher1967 said:

I would stay away from ATS if I was you, I had new pads and discs fitted a couple of months ago and this Saturday will be my 3rd trip back to them to silence my pads.

They've already tried to clean them and replace the pads but after a while the squeak returns so now they want to replace the discs and pads again.

What brand of parts are they using? 

If they are squeaking probably a Micky Mouse brand😂

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, stef123 said:

What brand of parts are they using? 

My Invoice says Pagid 104592408 discs and 101590338 pads

I fit a tonne of Pagid stuff every week so I suspect it's something they are doing, or not doing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had new pads and discs fitted yesterday and they may have well no bothred ! Its made sod all diffrence.

I shall Email thier customers service again today with the suggetion that I take my car elsewhere and then claim some sort of compensation.

21 minutes ago, kingfisher1967 said:

I had new pads and discs fitted yesterday and they may have well no bothred ! Its made sod all diffrence.

I shall Email thier customers service again today with the suggetion that I take my car elsewhere and then claim some sort of compensation.

If it was only yesterday the break in compound won't even have worn off the pads yet so shouldn't be squeaking from contact.  Check if the discs are painted silver or not.  I reckon they chose Pagid from ECP but got sent the ***** squealing Brembos instead, had nothing but trouble with the ECP Brembos!

On 6/30/2019 at 2:45 PM, TomsFocus said:

If it was only yesterday the break in compound won't even have worn off the pads yet so shouldn't be squeaking from contact.  Check if the discs are painted silver or not.  I reckon they chose Pagid from ECP but got sent the ***** squealing Brembos instead, had nothing but trouble with the ECP Brembos!

I got a reply from ATS today and they have suggested that I take the car back again! for new pads and discs again!

I would like to know what my rights are, I am I within my rights to get a 2nd opinion? what if there is nothing wrong with the goods and its the installation thats at fault?

I had a look this morning and the pads have Pagid on them and the discs are silvery.

Unless there's a bad batch of Pagids going around I'd say this is 100% a fitting issue.  I've never had problems with Pagid at all.

Can you see if they've put any grease on the pad contact points at all?  As it started so soon I'm guessing it's pad rattle instead of pad/disc contact.

No idea about your rights with garages, hopefully someone else can advise there.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Unless there's a bad batch of Pagids going around I'd say this is 100% a fitting issue.  I've never had problems with Pagid at all.

Can you see if they've put any grease on the pad contact points at all?  As it started so soon I'm guessing it's pad rattle instead of pad/disc contact.

No idea about your rights with garages, hopefully someone else can advise there.

Thank you Tom, that was my feelings exactly.

• 3 weeks later...

I have found out why my brakes squeak. I am in Bristol this weekend and near Cribbs Causeway there is a company called InOut Autocenters and they have had a look at my brakes and their diagnosis was Its because ATS have used liberal amounts of copper grease which modern brakes don’t need, That stuff is fine for older cars but there are modern alternatives So they haven’t been fixed it’s been recommended that I have another set of pads and disc fitted ( it’s not a case of cleaning out the old stuff) but to make sure use something else.. interesting 🤔

Although copper grease is pretty outdated now it won't cause a squeak on it's own, especially that quickly.  Cera-tec is what they should be using nowadays but it does the same job.  There's also no reason you can't clean copper grease off of the old pads unless they've put so much on that it's ended up on the friction material!?  And it definitely wont have damaged the discs in any way at all.  Sounds like the new garage are just taking advantage tbh.

• Like 1

A squeak(sound) says there is a vibration.I can’t think why copper paste would be a catalyst for a vibration but I might be wrong👍

• Like 1

Use Cera-Tec rather than copper grease cause of the ABS. I have fitted Brembo discs (factory coated) and pads as well. Now have squeak from the rear when breaking at 25 mph or lower. Breaking above 25mph gives no squeak. Stay away from Brembo pads...

as per Tom, I can't see how the copper grease would cause a squeak. I still use copper grease. Did my fiesta pads about 1000 miles ago. Used copper grease. No problems at all. 

That's the first time I've ever heard of copper grease causing a squeal, I've been using it every time I change my pads for the past 10 years and have never had a problem, newer cars don't have metal chims like the older ones do, I just use slightly less copper grease on the non metal ones lol

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kingfisher1967 said:

I have found out why my brakes squeak. I am in Bristol this weekend and near Cribbs Causeway there is a company called InOut Autocenters and they have had a look at my brakes and their diagnosis was Its because ATS have used liberal amounts of copper grease which modern brakes don’t need, That stuff is fine for older cars but there are modern alternatives So they haven’t been fixed it’s been recommended that I have another set of pads and disc fitted ( it’s not a case of cleaning out the old stuff) but to make sure use something else.. interesting 🤔

Hi Mate

Don`t trust in and out autocentre , bad storys about them , copper grease doesnt cause squeeking it sounds like your sliders are a bit stiff have they cleaned them has rubber dry`s out and sticks causing your brakes not to release properly

• Like 1

Thank you all., it looks like I need to do some more research before I can move foward.

On my second set of Brembo's and first set of Brembo disks, they were/are a lot thicker than the pads in your photo but also had that chamfer on the ends, its normal. I smother everything in copper grease, all contact points with the calliper, the piston and the backs of the pads, plus the hubs and all faces that make contact wit the wheel. The brembos have never made any noise, brake superbly and produce almost no dust (so much cleaner wheels than the OE pads

Squeel is caused by vibration somewhere in the system. This is normally started by the hubs and the disk mount surface not being cleaned fully and not being greased on fitting the disk, so there is a very small play in the disk. Greasing everything prevents this and acts as a damper to any vibration as well as stopping corrosion. Also means in 50K's time the disk will come off again with no effort and you alloy wheels won't salt corrode to the disks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club