Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk4 Active Park Assist

thelight

My dad has recently moved from a mk3 manual 1.5 petrol Focus to a new Mk4 automatic with the 1.5 petrol and 8 speed auto gearbox.

All of the videos we have seen online (including an official Ford one) show that with the automatic the park assist should function by putting the car in N and just holding down the park assist button.

However, his new car is actually acting like his old manual, where you put the car in reverse and use the throttle and brake yourself while the car steers into the space.

He's been back to the dealer to ask about this but they didn't have a clue about park assist or how it should work on different cars. The manual seems to be saying that in the 8 speed auto it should work using the N method.

Does anyone else with a new mk4 have the same issue? What method is your park assist using to park you? I am just trying to work out whether there is actually something wrong with the system, or whether he has somehow ended up with an early version of the software or something which needs updating.

I have MK4 auto with park assist.  Used it a couple of times

Press the button to engage the system.  Then drive slow past where you want to park.

When it finds a spot you have to put it in N,  hold the button down and then release the steering and brake and throttle and don't touch anything.  It does the steering, braking and accelerating.

You have to hold the button down through the whole process,if you release it will stop.  It will also stop if you touch the wheel or any pedals

• Like 1

IMO "Active Park Assist" is not same as fully automatic park assist - it does not handle throttle. It is a separate purchase, which is "Active Park Assist 2". Does he have the pack in the car?

I bought it separately  - here in Finland it is called "Parking Pack",a and it specifically has AUTOMATIC parking.

Note: Having something written in your car manual does not mean you have it. The manual is a general booklet that contains guides for all accessories, not the ones in your car specifically.

FOYEHgz.png

I think the only car that comes with with Active Park Assist as standard is the Vignale, I assume this version is the one you control yourself for both the manual and automatic. All other cars have to have the convenience pack for the Park Assist and in choosing the pack you get Park Assist 2, manuals = control yourself, automatics = car takes control.

Basically if you don’t have a Vignale and you have Park Assist I think it means you have The convenience pack and therefore Park Assist 2 and if you have the automatic, it should work how it states in the manual. I assume you can control the acceleration, steering and braking yourself as a fall back option rather than let the car do the parking itself, which might by the situation OP is seeing?

aha, I hadn't realised there were two versions of park assist on the Mk4. I'll get him to check his invoice for the convenience pack but it does make sense. He has the Vignale which seems to come with version 1 as standard so I bet that is the reason why. Thanks for your help!

Yes, I have the convenience pack.  I've not heard of two versions of assist for the auto though.

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2019 at 8:23 PM, thelight said:

My dad has recently moved from a mk3 manual 1.5 petrol Focus to a new Mk4 automatic with the 1.5 petrol and 8 speed auto gearbox.

All of the videos we have seen online (including an official Ford one) show that with the automatic the park assist should function by putting the car in N and just holding down the park assist button.

However, his new car is actually acting like his old manual, where you put the car in reverse and use the throttle and brake yourself while the car steers into the space.

He's been back to the dealer to ask about this but they didn't have a clue about park assist or how it should work on different cars. The manual seems to be saying that in the 8 speed auto it should work using the N method.

Does anyone else with a new mk4 have the same issue? What method is your park assist using to park you? I am just trying to work out whether there is actually something wrong with the system, or whether he has somehow ended up with an early version of the software or something which needs updating.

Hi,

I have the same problem with my car. My car has the Convenience Pack, Driver assistance pack and 8 speed gearbox. 

I read every documentation available, car manual, FORD official website, videos etc. Everything points out that I should be able to put the car in N, hold the button and wait for the car to park by itself. I went to the dealership but they couldn't figure it out what's the problem, they said that don't know about this feature and they will investigate.This thing happen in January, and until now I still don't have an answer.

I feel lied to and robbed. I paid for this feature and Ford apparently doesn't bother to give it to me. Besides, Ford employees are useless, better ask my mom, even she knows more.

Peace!

imageproxy.png

• 8 months later...

I made a purchase of a Ford Focus Vignale auto in Portugal.

Been a year and the car went into the dealer several times.

The car stated came with Automatic Parking.... Does not state if it is automatic or Park Assist. Even if you search on the additional package, not mentioned any Park Assist. 

If you don't see any difference....  And the retailer does not highlight it.... It is obvious that you are given the right information. 

As it seems no one has been able to figure out what is the issue and how to sort it. Ford website does not split or give any info on the Automatic or Park Assist of anything else. 

Very disappointed on this. Just wastes my time on this.

Made an official complain to Ford Lusitania Portugal..... Guess what? No answer....