Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New feista 1.5 tdci problem

Raj123456789

Car is 6 months old done 2000+ miles wrench light come on twice. Both time dealers changed oil 6 weeks apart and said brought the wrong car for the amount of miles we are doing will charge to change oil next time. " Nothing wrong with the car.

Anyone else has this problem?

What sort of daily journeys do you do? What is the oil level like? 

For it to come on as often as that is unusual but if there are no issues with the car, then I am not surprised the dealer will want to charge for further oil changes. 

Really short journeys in a diesel won’t be doing the “oil life” much good and you’re also likely to get DPF issues as it simply won’t get chance to regen

I suspect the root of the problem is the DPF regen cycle. My understanding is that periodically when driving the computer brain floods loads of extra diesel into the engine. This causes a higher temperature in the exhaust which burns off the soot in the particle filter. If it did not do that the particle filter will clog up causing other problems. The problem is that if you stop driving just after it has started the diesel flooding, that extra diesel seeps down into the oil and thins the oil and makes the oil level too high.

But there will be nothing on the dashboard to tell you it is going through this cycle. If there was, you could maybe know to thrash the car round the block a few times until it has finished the cycle. One clue it is doing it is the radiator cooling fans will be going flat out. It is also said that you can tell by the engine note (rougher) but I have never been able to tell that on mine.

Luckily I do about 16k miles PA and have not had a problem.

If you bought a ELM327 OBD code reader (eg from Tunnelrat electronics) and use Forscan software on a laptop / tablet/ i phone/android phone (software free for Windows, about 7 quid for android/apple) you can see how many miles it has done since last regeneration cycle and you can also force it to do a regeneration so it's when you want it done and not when the car thinks the time is right even though you might be parking on your drive 10 seconds later.

This is not just a Ford problem.

Friends of mind had exactly the same sort of issues with their Fiesta diesel, which was used for low mileage/short trips, and got the same sort of comments from the service department. They hadn't really explained their sort of usage to the salesman, who in turn hadn't asked the question either. In the end the dealer did them a decent deal to swap to a petrol - no more problems.

• 1 year later...

ups diesel oil, raisingI'm a retired Ford engineer, and had nothing but Fiesta diesels since 1988 - never had a problem until the car purchased lest year - no change to my usual 12.000 miles per year use - but the regen cycle just dumps diesel fuel into the engine raising the engine oil level. NOT happy with this feature - feel I've been sold something NOT FIT for purpose. After a recall, all that happened was that the oil was changed (I was told). No rectification to the basic issue - told to drive it for longer journeys in a lower gear to try and alleviate the issue - which obviously obliterates any mpg efficiency - am told the issue cannot "be turned off - or down". Believe the engine is a Peugeot diesel engine - CANNOT believe that Ford signed off, or accepted this to meet emission regulations. - One utterly disappointed customer.

I assume it is 1499cc. My understanding is that it is almost the same engine as the previous 1560cc engine just with 61cc less. (Wikipedia says Bore was reduced from 75 to 73.5 mm while the stroke remained unchanged 88.3 mm) The 1560cc was as I understand it an engine designed by Peugeot but with Ford and Peugeot paying jointly for it to be developed. Wikipedia says 'This particular engine was designed by Peugeot[6] engineers on behalf of PSA and Ford.'  (PSA is Peugeot/Citroen).   I would have thought Ford could sort something out with a software update.  Does anyone know if Peugeot owners have same issue?

Hello all,

As isetta says, my understanding is that the 1.6 diesel (and earlier 1.4) was the fruit of a Ford / Peugeot-Citroen joint venture. But I just looked up the bore / stroke for the Ford 1.5tdci and the Peugeot-Citroen 1.5 BlueHDi, and they're different  - so it looks to me as though Ford's 1.5 is their own engine, likely developed from the 1.6 but now without Peugeot connection. 

As others have said it is likely to be a combination of usage patterns and the way the DPF works. Seems to me the key thing is to do a mix of journeys - short journeys in the diesels are fine provided that you longer, out of town or motorway trips regularly. A diesel isn't suitable if that's not your driving pattern (I don't mean to patronise... and aware that's been said before, but as Roger's comment suggests maybe some buyers aren't made aware of this). 

Regen issues aside I'm curious about how you guys have found the mk8 tdci for refinement and mpg... 

& yes one would think the software could be tweaked to help the regeneration issue but whether Ford would.... a project I volunteer with had a 2007 VW Crafter van & I remember taking it for a service some years back, and that it was possible for the dealer to tweak the DPF software so that the regen pattern was more suitable for mainly urban use. 

"Regen issues aside I'm curious about how you guys have found the mk8 tdci for refinement and mpg... "

I can't say on mk8 as I have mk7.5. Mine is 1499cc 95bhp 'econetic' which i think means it has higher gearing than non-econetic but not 100% sure, and 175/65/14 tyres. MPG I get just over 60mpg. This is calculated from the actual amount of fuel put in and mileage done over about 30k miles (on board computer always reads about 5% higher mpg).

I consider it to be very refined for a diesel and certainly significantly more refined than my previous 1.6tdci mk6.5 . 

• 1 year later...

Hello reading all the comments above, I have a Ford Fiesta 2018 1.5 diesel ST LINE X. I’m a driving Instructor for the last 17years and had 2 Peugeot diesels and a Citroen ds3 diesel no problems. But with Fiesta every 3000 miles my oil change light comes on so I check my dipstick and oil level is rising, I drive in town and travel back and forth  11 miles from  another town for the test centre which is an A road so upto 60 mph all the time. My friend is who is driving Instructor too had the same car same year and has the same problem, is this a design fault and how can I resolve the issue? Please don’t say take it to your Ford garage because they are clueless. Thank you 

Stephen

• Sad 1

This is clearly your fault, or your dealers fault, or a Ford minor querk 🤣

There is no fix other than drive more miles and for longer times. You really need to get a petrol engine if your only doing 11 mile trips.

What cars and type of engine do the driving school use ?

I too think you have the wrong car and you won’t solve this problem. When I drive to work it is 33 miles each way three quarters of it is fast dual carriageway. When I retire in less than two years time I am thinking I will have same problem you have (I have 2015 1.5tdci)

Start teaching Pass Plus so you can give it some more fast road use!  The problem is really the ever-tightening emissions regulations.  I'd assume the PSA cars were older?

• 1 year later...

I am in Greece, I have same problem ; since I got a Fiesta MK8 1.5 diesel Vignale in 2019, every 3-4 months the message for oil change comes up, oil level is high, all seem normal but I have to get it checked  every time - very disturbing and no solution (in the beginning Ford has said that a sensor needed calibration  and it would be OK - rubbish). In addition. after one year another message for low oil pressure also started to come up from time to time, usually when I was letting my foot off the throttle... Local Ford could not trace the problem, treating me like an imbecile (or liar) but the third time they got it and (they said) they replaced the oil pump. One year OK, but in last summer the problem emerged again and even more serious in the sense that it comes up even when speeding up... The car is now in its third year and the aircon has stopped blowing hot air (thank God Greece is in the South....). Last week the car went bananas , suddenly error messages started to appear one after the other and within an hour the engine stopped and refused to start; road assistance came , they said it was a battery failure ... I had a similar problem with a Peugeot 508 atwo years ago and it was not the battery but the alternator, which a serious and expensive failure  - but that was a 11-years old car and it was trouble free until then... The car is currently under repair but if you ask me I am not optimistic for correction (OK, I guess the aircon will be manageable...). I like the Fiesta very much as a car, it has awesome handling ... but I will not buy a Ford again... (the car is leased by my employer so I can not myself sue Ford or ask for a replacement - if you were wondering...)

• Sad 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club