Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus MK2 1.8 TDCi CAT What Metal Is The Outside?

Naynay1991x

Hello too you all! The title speaks for itself I guess, just wondering what metal the outside is? Is it stainless or?

Just wondering if I'm able too MIG weld it etc..

3 hours ago, Naynay1991x said:

Hello too you all! The title speaks for itself I guess, just wondering what metal the outside is? Is it stainless or?

Just wondering if I'm able too MIG weld it etc..

If its magnetic then its probably mild steel,

If it's not magnetic then it would be stainless 

Hi Lenny didn't actually think of that 😂 much appreciated

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Naynay1991x said:

what metal the outside is? Is it stainless or?

The magnet test is a good starting point, but there are a couple of catches.

Many austenitic stainless steels ( the most common Iron/Chromium/Nickel alloys) are slightly magnetic, one of those powerful neodymium magnets will stick to them, but much more weakly than with steel. It depends on things like work hardening and heat treatment.

A bigger problem is that high temperature casings are often made from martensitic stainless, an Iron/Chromium alloy with no Nickel. This is cheaper then austenitic, still has adequate corrosion resistance in average conditions, and can be better at high temperatures. These types of stainless are very magnetic, nearly as much as steel.

On a 2005 car, the presence of rust, where any zinc coating had corroded through, would be the simplest test. No brown rust normally forms on either type of stainless. Though they can still pit and crack under adverse conditions. Brown stains due to surface contamination by iron are common, but brush or sand off with no underlying marks.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club