Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help! Stressing

H1ghlander1977

Hey all,

travelled 4 hours and about 30mins outside destination oil light came on. Then started flashing.

stopped and checked oil level ok, so had to drive the last couple of miles, the 1l ecoboost petrol started sounding like a diesel!

now car being flat beaded home the 4 hours but what’s this flashing light about? 

Assumed if low oil it would just stay on not flash and go off for a second or to come back on!

rattle seems to be a part top right of the engine block, diagonal from the turbo etc. 

Car only done 67770 miles and owned for 2 months to which the warranty has ran out 😭

perhaps you have this problem.  

go to the post dated 02 feb 2018 which shows what his problem was causing it

• Like 1

Thought that legally you have to be given a 3 month warranty if bought from a garage?

22 hours ago, JAM74 said:

Thought that legally you have to be given a 3 month warranty if bought from a garage?

Checked paperwork and is only 60 day warranty. Guess car wasn’t expensive enough to get 90 days.

perhaps you have this problem.  

go to the post dated 02 feb 2018 which shows what his problem was causing it

Thanks for that, I did read that post but thought someone might have another theory etc.

will go to garage tomorrow morning and steer them in the low oil pressure idea and take it from there. Fingers crossed.

Out of curiosity, is there like an online Haynes type manual out there?

there was a great one for V***hall’s 

Surprised the last sentence survived the filter. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

If you’ve got low oil pressure, I assume this will in turn have a knock on effect on the turbo. Does the oil pressure take long in damaging the turbo?

just been at car, been sitting motionless for a couple of days. Started it up and oil light stays on but not flashing (At least not for the few mins I was at it) 

checked engine again and plenty of oil still but rattle I think is coming from the turbo? 

Thoughts? 

It's oil pressure, not oil level.  Even if you've got a full sump the oil pump isn't able to push it up to the top of the engine.  

Don't run it any more until you've got a diagnosis!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/23/2019 at 6:28 PM, H1ghlander1977 said:

Checked paperwork and is only 60 day warranty. Guess car wasn’t expensive enough to get 90 days.

I don’t think it matters what they say, if they’re traders then it’s a 3 month warranty. It might be more hassle than you want having to go through trading standards or however you’d go about it, but they’d probably give in with just the threat.

2 hours ago, Matt92 said:

I don’t think it matters what they say, if they’re traders then it’s a 3 month warranty. It might be more hassle than you want having to go through trading standards or however you’d go about it, but they’d probably give in with just the threat.

Under the consumers act 2015 if your car develops a problem within 6 months it’s on the traders onus to prove you were at fault👍

• Like 3

Surprised the last sentence survived the filter. 
Maybe it did but didn't survive me [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, williamweb said:

Under the consumers act 2015 if your car develops a problem within 6 months it’s on the traders onus to prove you were at fault👍

Even better.🥳😁

Okay update on issue, diagnostics came back with front and rear camshaft sensors.

How does that affect oil pressure? 

Camshaft sensors won’t affect oil pressure, they simply pick up a signal from the rotating camshafts. 

Are you sure it’s not the camshaft adjusters for the variable valve timing? Sometimes these are operated by oil pressure not sure in your engine though, but if they are faulty I can imagine that would make some noises. It may also throw up errors for the cam sensors if the cams are not timed as the ecu thinks they should be.

I serviced a focus the other day with the old 1.6 ti vct engine and that was quite a noisy little beast, seemed to be around the adjuster area. 

Just my thoughts, I wouldn’t like to say any thing for certain.

We've seen this fairly recently on another 1.0EB.   It is indeed the lack of oil pressure stopping the ti-vct working correctly.

I posted on the thread...but with the amount of the rubbish I post it could take a while to find it... :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It's this thread...new oil pump was the fix but also worth checking the solenoid as in the other low oil pressure threads.  I'm surprised garages are just relying on fault codes when the oil pressure light is on!  It's a mechanical pressure switch, not an electrical fault... :rolleyes: 

• Like 3

And just to make it clear. Every second you run an engine with the oil pressure light on you are causing excessive wear to engine components. Eg main bearings and big ends etc are plain metal bearings. This means metal rubs against metal ( no ball bearings) . The oil is squirted continuously under pressure between the two surfaces to keep them microscopically apart. Insufficient oil pressure means the metal surfaces touch rub and wear out very very quickly and then it can be new engine time. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2019 at 5:31 PM, isetta said:

And just to make it clear. Every second you run an engine with the oil pressure light on you are causing excessive wear to engine components. Eg main bearings and big ends etc are plain metal bearings. This means metal rubs against metal ( no ball bearings) . The oil is squirted continuously under pressure between the two surfaces to keep them microscopically apart. Insufficient oil pressure means the metal surfaces touch rub and wear out very very quickly and then it can be new engine time. 

It can be new engine time indeed. Just got word today from garage that I need a £3500 engine as it’s seized (suspect it seized while they were investigating the low pressure. It was turning the last time I saw it)

thats bad news indeed, however since I’ve only had the car a little over 2 months, they are footing the complete bill.

new crate ford engine should hopefully be over the road tomorrow at the ford garage.

every cloud and silver lining etc. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, those warning lights are particularly important. My old dear drove for miles with what she believed was the handbrake light on, of course on her car that light is also shared with the brake fluid level. NSR rear brake line peeing out fluid through a ruptured metal line.

To be fair, it could be made clearer the difference between oil level and oil pressure. I had a hire car (astra) flash up a low level oil warning and since its a hire car and worse an astra I had no intention of spending a moment of my time on it but I spent about 15 min arguing that it was level, not pressure whilst they looked at me as if I was terminally stupid, if a garage cant tell the difference without plugging in a computer then what hope is therefor someone less clued up.

Nice one on the new engine, you struck it lucky they didn't kick up more of a fuss.

• Like 2

On 6/23/2019 at 6:28 PM, H1ghlander1977 said:

Consumer Rights Act 2015 (as someone mentioned above), within 6 months the onus is on the trader to prove fault was not present at purchase. You can also reject within 30 days (with appropriate deduction for use). The "60 days/90 days/6 months warranty" offered with cars is a bit of a misnomer as it's in addition to your rights.

• Like 2

Yeah I thought I would have a fight on my hands but they were really good. Except not giving me a quick call to say “Hey, your engine is junk. So we’ve ordered one and it’s all on us” 

However, I’ll let them off since it’s a new one and they’re footing the bill.

Did feel a bit bad when I had to give a deadline of next Friday. As I need car working for going back to work on the 22nd from being on holidays.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club