Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Speed sign/limit display on trip computer.

Wezaa

Hi,

Is it possible to enable the Speed sign display on my Focus Titanium mk3.5.

i don’t think I have the driver assist pack, so I don’t have Traffic Sigh Recognition. But I do have satnav, so wondered in the trip could display the speed from the sat nav data?

the image attached is an example of hat I am after.

E53A81CB-19B6-4934-BF86-ACB43C471193.jpeg

Gonna go out on a limb here and say no you need the forward facing camera/radar. But I’m sure someone with more knowledge will be along soon to set the record straight 

As above, you would need the forward facing camera for it, sat nav speeds are only as reliable as the day the maps came out...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

As above, you would need the forward facing camera 

......and the camera is only reliable if the signs are correct and legible e.g. clean and not hidden in a bush, like the one I have been complaining to my local council about for the last 2 years!😀

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

......and the camera is only reliable if the signs are correct and legible e.g. clean and not hidden in a bush, like the one I have been complaining to my local council about for the last 2 years!😀

How high is it?  I'd be tempted to take a pair of a shears and a can of Hammerite… :biggrin: 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

How high is it?  

Not really sure - it's in the clump at the right of the picture!😀

DSC_0036~2.JPG

• Like 1

Besides, was the speed limit sign recognition even an option in 2015?

22 minutes ago, Freeze said:

Besides, was the speed limit sign recognition even an option in 2015?

That's an interesting question. I believe it only started to appear around 10 years ago (not sure on which makes), and I think I've seen a reference to it first appearing on a Ford around 2013?

The MK3 prefacelift Focus definitely had it as an option, right back in 2011!  Along with lane departure warning and blind spot indicator.  :smile:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

The MK3 prefacelift Focus definitely had it as an option, right back in 2011!

You're right, Tom. I was curious about this - just found an old road test report from 2011 which mentions driver assistance pack including what they referred to as "road sign reader"😀

Edit - stop press! The council have been "resurfacing" (tar and chippings method) the road I mentioned above. Just had a walk down there and found, after searching the bushes, they have taken the opportunity to sneakily move the speed limit (and the sign of course) 200 yards further down the road. And (I don't really need to say this do I?) they've placed it in another bush! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

(I don't really need to say this do I?) they've placed it in another bush!

🤣🤣

Of course this is a symptom of the modern penchant for putting all work out to contract. Back in the days of direct labour forces the old foreman would have noticed the sign being obscured/dirty/damaged and detailed one of his men to sort it out. Contractors will only do the work they've been contracted to do and no more unless they can charge extra for it. You can call me a grumpy old f@rt - which I am :biggrin: - but wholesale privatisation has not made things better in areas like this.

16 minutes ago, mjt said:

Of course this is a symptom of the modern penchant for putting all work out to contract. 

I might tend to agree with you in general, but this work, like another botched job I mention on another thread, was  carried out by direct labour! 

As if Yorkshire councils would waste money on contractors!  "Ow moch!?  We're do i'r'owrselves for 'arfa tha'!" :biggrin: 

On a more serious note though, I've often thought about trimming bushes over hanging the pavement and covering road signs, as well as giving the signs a wash where they need them (North facing signs go green quickly).  However I'm guessing there are legal and insurance/liability issues due to it being a public area, and I'm not sure if I'd be able to dispose of the green waste at the tip as it's not technically private waste...  The older members on here will know I don't work, partly because I spend the majority of my day in the bathroom, but I hate the fact I can't contribute anything and this feels like something I could do in the local area, on my own times and without being trapped when I need to rush off... 🤔

Locally a few window cleaners clean road signs in their spare time as a voluntary community service. This has been going on for a while without any apparent problems or complaints.

Trimming the bushes may be a different matter as you would be "damaging" them and you don't own them. You may also need a waste carriers licence to remove the waste or be accused of fly tipping if you leave the waste below the bush.

I have seen the local police trimming bushes around road signs (just before they set up a speed trap).  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, pcaouolte said:

Trimming the bushes may be a different matter as you would be "damaging" them and you don't own them. You may also need a waste carriers licence to remove the waste or be accused of fly tipping if you leave the waste below the bush.

Yes, sadly I've seen a few cases where people have taken it up on themselves to tidy and beautify their local area, only to find themselves prosecuted for their trouble.

We do have (officially sanctioned) volunteers in my area who do a great job of picking up litter from the roadside and hedge rows. Unfortunately in my area we don't have a recycling bin as such, but 3 separate boxes for card/paper, bottles/jars, and cans/plastic bottles. These get thrown about by the bin men and on a breezy day paper and plastic bottles end up all over the place, to be picked up later by the volunteers. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, pcaouolte said:

I thought this would be the issue tbh.  Obviously the cost of a WCL stops it being viable but it would also stop me being able to use the local tip which only 5 minutes away.  The bushes are the main problem currently, forcing even single pedestrians onto the road to pass them, let alone wheelchairs and buggies.  I don't blame the council for it, they do a good job of keeping the grass cut and parks tidy, but they simply don't have the resources to keep on top of the sudden spring growth on footpaths. 

46 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Unfortunately in my area we don't have a recycling bin as such, but 3 separate boxes for card/paper, bottles/jars, and cans/plastic bottles. These get thrown about by the bin men and on a breezy day paper and plastic bottles end up all over the place, to be picked up later by the volunteers. 

That sounds like a terrible idea, who designs these things? :unsure: Surely 3 boxes take up the same space as a wheely bin, cost about the same and are more difficult to empty as well...

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Surely 3 boxes take up the same space as a wheely bin, cost about the same and are more difficult to empty as well...

It's probably the same guy who thinks speed limit signs should be hidden away in bushes........😀

• Haha 1

haha, thanks for the reply guys, even if its gone a bit off topic. haha.

I enabled traffic sign recognition using forscan and it showed up 2 blank circles where the speed signs would usually show, but thats it. doesn't pull the speed, so yeah need the camera.

I've been looking into retro fitting the camera and found some good info on it, just too expensive for me to consider at this time.

cheers all

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Wezaa said:

haha, thanks for the reply guys, even if its gone a bit off topic. haha.

Nearly everything on here ends up off topic!😀

• Haha 1

On 6/24/2019 at 5:29 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

That's an interesting question. I believe it only started to appear around 10 years ago (not sure on which makes), and I think I've seen a reference to it first appearing on a Ford around 2013?

Ok, that's news to me. I thought it only became an option with Mk3 Focus.

8 minutes ago, Freeze said:

I thought it only became an option with Mk3 Focus.

Yes, that's right - as @TomsFocus mentioned in earlier post it appeared as an option when the Mk 3 was launched in 2011.

23 hours ago, Freeze said:

Ok, that's news to me. I thought it only became an option with Mk3 Focus.

SORRY my typo, meant Mk4. Nevermind!  😂

Actually standard on MK4 as it's part of the intelligent speed limiter soon to become mandatory on all cars