Focused87

2007 Focus Zetec Climate 1.6 or 2006 Focus ST-2?

Hi fellow Ford lovers. 

I currently own a 2007 Focus 1.6. It's a 3-door and I often said I'd stick with 3 doors unless I purchased a Focus of 2011 onwards due to Ford discontinuing 3-door Focuses. 

I'm a bit frustrated with having what I read is a 'wheezy engine' (I read this in a review of the earlier era Focuses and when I was researching the EcoBoost engine). 

The car itself is very smooth and always a joy to drive - the Focus is such a good handling car, a quality it's well recognised for and rightfully so, in my opinion. But I'm frustrated with it's screaming for air and lack of breath when I have to bring it up to motorway speeds. It may sound minor to some but I'd like a bit more power and responsiveness from my vehicle. I've considered upgrades but don't really want to start tampering with the engine. 

I don't require power from a vehicle to abuse it, but just to know it's available should I need to to use it. I'm not a boy racer but an ST would be ideal for power and I'd be pleased with the aesthetics of it. 

I've wanted an ST-2 for a long time. From what I understand from reading Focus specifications and articles, the ST-2 features the keyless start but not the keyless entry (correct me if wrong though). 

I've seen an ad for 2006 (56) ST-2 so the same Base model as my current Focus. 

Just under 80,000 on the clock. 

The following is from the advert:
- Been highly maintained by myself over the time I've had it and never wanted for anything. 

- Only used as a second car. 

- Over the past two years it's had all it's timing belts done. 

- Uprated clutch, fly wheel, slave cylinder and master cylinder due to slight slip it had at the time. 

- Pads and discs all round. 

- Just had two new tyres on the front. 

- Just passed MOT it went through with no issue. 

I look after and maintain my car/s in the same way. 

It's a 5-door. Cloth seats which is ideal as I'm not too particular about having leather - specially in summer. 
Rear parking sensors. 

I've conducted an MOT history check and it's passed all without issues. 

I've researched the common problems with and watched review videos etc. I'll possibly be taking a mechanic along with me. 

My Questions - 
Do people enjoy this particular version of ST that I'm referring to as much as I've seen? 

Is the Volvo 2.5 engine that powers it as 'bulletproof' as stated in some videos I've watched? 

Is this worth looking into? 

My heart tells me yes. My head tells me continue research and ask questions regarding the topic (usually until the car is sold 😄). 

Thank you for any advice. All views and reviews of car welcome. 

Focused87 

If you can make the numbers work, and the car is all ok and you want it, go for it! This gen ST has a huge following, and the 60 plate example we had never went wrong in 6 years and 85k miles.

5 hours ago, dtulip8 said:

If you can make the numbers work, and the car is all ok and you want it, go for it! This gen ST has a huge following, and the 60 plate example we had never went wrong in 6 years and 85k miles.

Easily twisted my arm with that reply. Got me thinking I'm going to contact the seller today 😁 

Numbers seem doable. Tired of seeing them and thinking how much I'd like one. 

That's actually good to know. Always expect more horror stories of performance cars than to hear positive experiences. 

Cheers Dtulip8. 

Yes, the Volvo st 5 cyl is a strong engine. Sounds good too  Father in law has it in a Mondeo.

There was one issue with a particular batch of engines, Google it, it's a range of engine numbers so easy to check and I believe easy to fix but can't remember much about it 

If you do see that car advertised be careful and make sure there's paperwork to back up that work which has been stated 👍. Reason I'm saying is the previous owner of my car listed the work which he said was carried out. Bought the car and he said he'll send the paperwork. Never got anything since. The guy was a Ford enthusiast also which really wasn't great and shows that anyone can con another when selling a car. 

4 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

Yes, the Volvo st 5 cyl is a strong engine. Sounds good too  Father in law has it in a Mondeo.

There was one issue with a particular batch of engines, Google it, it's a range of engine numbers so easy to check and I believe easy to fix but can't remember much about it 

Hi Guy. 

Thanks for the advice. 

Apologies for the length of this post but is it possibly this? 

ford focus ST mk2 or any Volvo T5 (B5254T3) enginewas created by Fway99

Feeling a little bad for my 1st post been a trouble shooting one even though ive been a follower of the website and Eric's videos for a long time.

So an extremely common fault on these engines and one i believe almost all have within a few years of manufacture is a noise coming from what sounds like the cam belt cover which at the time is very worrying it sounds like the water pump bearing on its last legs a kinda "chirp" if anyone has heard that! it is actually the oil filter housing that develops a small crack and whistles as it pulls air as the oil runs through! One sure way to check if it is this and not the water pump bearing is to pull the dipstick if the noise stops or reduces greatly you almost certainly need a oil filter housing! As i recall when it happened to me it cost me roughly £220 including parts and labor! I really hope this helps someone as i was really worried when i heard the noise as it sounded waaaaaay more expensive!!! Lmao :P

I found this via EricTheCarGuy website when I searched the particular Volvo engine that Ford used in the ST (B5254T3). 

4 hours ago, zain611 said:

If you do see that car advertised be careful and make sure there's paperwork to back up that work which has been stated 👍. Reason I'm saying is the previous owner of my car listed the work which he said was carried out. Bought the car and he said he'll send the paperwork. Never got anything since. The guy was a Ford enthusiast also which really wasn't great and shows that anyone can con another when selling a car. 

Hey Zain611. 

I appreciate that heads up mate. 

I was definitely going to request paperwork regarding the work mentioned. 

It's quite a shady business being on the road as I learned early on. I am thankful for the lessons though. 

I've got a list of questions that I'm going to ask upon making a phone call to the seller. 

1. Paperwork for work carried out? 

Service History? 

2. Any problems other than slight clutch slip? 

3. Has it ever been modified or tuned? 
Asking in case of car's internals possibly being stressed from mods / tunes. 

4. In any rush to sell the car? 

Is there anything else you would recommend asking the seller? 

Also, is there any questions that I've mentioned that would be better asking in person rather than on an initial phone call? 

Thanks Zain611. 

Could also ask reason for selling, was it their personal car. 

My car previously was registered to the sellers wife (stated by the guy). The v5 did have a ladies name on it plus some makeup marks on the windscreen shades so that was one thing the seller may told me the truth of. 

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, zain611 said:

Could also ask reason for selling, was it their personal car. 

My car previously was registered to the sellers wife (stated by the guy). The v5 did have a ladies name on it plus some makeup marks on the windscreen shades so that was one thing the seller may told me the truth of. 

I've just spoke to seller. 

As for paperwork, he stated that he works in the trade so any work done to it he can get me receipts for his purchases but not for the installations. 

He uses it as a second car when he's without his children and was truthful with me in saying that he's tuned it to about 270bhp and he drives it "fairly hard" when he uses it. Not driven often. As of tomorrow he's bringing it to work to touch up body details as he mentioned  it's been sat for two months and accumulated cobwebs etc. He's changed the oil and filter every August. 

Said he has another ST-2 that he has and this one is not driven all that often which is reason for sale. 

No mods. Just the tune mentioned. 

Upgraded parts eg clutch slave cylinder, master cylinder etc is all Focus RS parts. 

Personally I want a stock motor (which, mod wise it is), and would probably have it taken back down to 221 - 225bhp. 

It's all on the key - no keyless entry or start up which is actually better for me. I'd still purchase myself a steering lock, possibly a wheel clamp but knowing it's on the key will be a positive factor. 

Is there any alarm bells or things in this post that would deter anyone from potentially spending thousands on this car?

I'm a genuine Focus enthusiast so will be hard to turn down another but rather that than buy one that is a red flag to anybody on here. 

Thanks again for any info or advice. 

Edited by Focused87
Add details

Sounds okay to me. Only thing is is just going there and looking over it. Definitely see about the receipts. With me my dad instals parts our cars so only have receipt of the parts. 

I don't have any experience on the focus STs so someone else will help on what to look for on these cars. 

First off these ST's drink fuel. You'll struggle to get more than 25mpg unless you're doing 60 on the motorway. Might be a but of a shock going from an eco box to this.

If its had the engine revamped I'd definitely be making sure its had the block mod done.

Any reason for the ST2 over the 3? You wint get the black leathers which look 100x better than the fabric ones.

On 6/24/2019 at 2:44 PM, zain611 said:

Sounds okay to me. Only thing is is just going there and looking over it. Definitely see about the receipts. With me my dad instals parts our cars so only have receipt of the parts. 

I don't have any experience on the focus STs so someone else will help on what to look for on these cars. 

Apologies for delay in responding.

Yeah I always research what a vehicle's common faults are or maybe what to replace and when (mileage intervals etc). 

Vehicle was more beaten up than what it appeared in the pictures (not too much of an issue as can be sorted, but still not what was advertised - image wise). 

Upon request in person, seller then had issues producing the receipts for the parts or couldn't find. Distracted even though we'd set aside this date and time. Just seemed rushed. Uncertainty at this point. Don't want doubts when buying any car - standard road cars are bad enough but a performance car - I want no doubts with what I'm purchasing. 

Now looking at a 2008 for similar price. 100+ on the clock. Cambelt changed. 

Cheers Zain611. If you or your dad know anything of high mileage engines to avoid give me a shout. Everyone maintains the Volvo 2.5T used is 'bombproof' but any information is always useful. 

Thanks 

On 6/26/2019 at 8:12 PM, Luke4efc said:

First off these ST's drink fuel. You'll struggle to get more than 25mpg unless you're doing 60 on the motorway. Might be a but of a shock going from an eco box to this.

If its had the engine revamped I'd definitely be making sure its had the block mod done.

Any reason for the ST2 over the 3? You wint get the black leathers which look 100x better than the fabric ones.

Haha regarding the fuel (not to mention tax increase etc) I'd be able to handle these factors. I thought the insurance would be the main issue but pretty much stays the same. 

I'm unsure with leather I've had it before in an earlier Focus Silver and the summer deterred me. I've got cloth now and don't mind it. Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, I read the ST-2 has keyless start but not keyless entry (don't want keyless entry as I think the fob signal could be activated to gain entry). I've looked into Faraday Bags, steering locks and clamps to try and offset any concerns with the vehicle's security. 

Have you any ideas on this front and any knowledge as to whether Faraday bags work? 

Top 1 Luke4efc 

@Focused87 good you walked away from that one 👍. That actually brought back memories of me getting my car and being upset about the previous owner saying he's going to send the receipts to me but nothing turning up. Guy said it had a new clutch, timing belt, water pump and a mountune remap but now paperwork to back up so sadly it might of not been done or was done by the owner before him as he only kept the car for 6 months. 

Pictures don't fully show up imperfections on a car. The fiesta I went to view before the one I have now had a matte like finish on the rear quarter and on the mirror cover it seemed to have a white ink on it which might be that that part was from a breakers as you know they write something with white ink on the parts. 

ST-2’s and pre 2010 ST-3’a just have the keyless start button, no keyless entry as you’ve correctly said. In 2010, the ST-3’s got some more kit as standard including climate control and the aforementioned keyless entry. 

20 hours ago, zain611 said:

@Focused87 good you walked away from that one 👍. That actually brought back memories of me getting my car and being upset about the previous owner saying he's going to send the receipts to me but nothing turning up. Guy said it had a new clutch, timing belt, water pump and a mountune remap but now paperwork to back up so sadly it might of not been done or was done by the owner before him as he only kept the car for 6 months. 

Pictures don't fully show up imperfections on a car. The fiesta I went to view before the one I have now had a matte like finish on the rear quarter and on the mirror cover it seemed to have a white ink on it which might be that that part was from a breakers as you know they write something with white ink on the parts. 

Cheers zain611 I just got a bit weary when he seemed rushed looking for paperwork and then agitated when he couldn't locate it. 

That paperwork is really the only documentation we have to prove the cars been looked after (if you can't just tell by looking at the car itself). I would have felt the same to be honest had someone said they'd send it over and then not do so after you've paid. 

The first Focus I bought had black tape wrapped around the o/s wing mirror but as that particular panelling and part of the car was black I didn't realise til I'd brought it home. Wasn't major or anything, just would have been nice to have someone be honest. But there's lessons in these details. 

I definitely wouldn't say I know everything to look for when I go to look at a car but made sure I done enough research over time to know what to be aware of when looking at certain cars (mainly Focuses as that's what I enjoy). 

Have you done anything to the Fiesta while you've owned it? 

17 hours ago, dtulip8 said:

ST-2’s and pre 2010 ST-3’a just have the keyless start button, no keyless entry as you’ve correctly said. In 2010, the ST-3’s got some more kit as standard including climate control and the aforementioned keyless entry. 

Hi Dtulip8. 

Cheers for the information. Do you know anything about Faraday bags or any other extra security measures to take for when I eventually get a Push Start? 

You won't need one if its just push start, the key still needs to be used to lock and unlock so isn't transmitting a constant (as far as I'm aware), a good idea would be to disable or move the OBD port to a hidden location as they are quite commonly stolen via the OBD port. The thieves smash a window, hook up to the port and can disable the alarm and start it up quickly.