Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OBDII dongle recommendations Mondeo mk iv

Gazza1999

I bought a cheap and cheerful bluetooth dongle v2.1 to use with Torque or Forescan on my phone but it just won't connect. Mustn't be compatible. Any recommendations for dongles that anyone has used, or would I be better with one of the usb cable types to use with a laptop?

My Mondeo is 2009 2l Tdci.

1 hour ago, iantt said:

For forscan I use a WiFi elm 327 on my phone or tablet and a usb elm327 on laptop. 

This supplier I and many others use 

https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/

Does the WiFi one go via your home router? Not sure how that would work with my setup. The cable /Bluetooth options might be better for me.

WiFi on tablet or phone is easy enough. Plug the elm in to the obd port , go to your WiFi on your phone , connect to the WiFi obd. Then open up  forscan. 

The usb and forscan on laptop has more functions to alter settings which can be useful sometimes.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, iantt said:

WiFi on tablet or phone is easy enough. Plug the elm in to the obd port , go to your WiFi on your phone , connect to the WiFi obd. Then open up  forscan. 

The usb and forscan on laptop has more functions to alter settings which can be useful sometimes.

So it works like bluetooth?

I use a bluetooth one in conjunction with a HP Windows 7" tablet for code reading and a modified (HS/MS switchable) USB & laptop for changing settings & activating extras.
I don't use the bluetooth one for writing data as a signal drop can brick the car.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

I use a bluetooth one in conjunction with a HP Windows 7" tablet for code reading and a modified (HS/MS switchable) USB & laptop for changing settings & activating extras.
I don't use the bluetooth one for writing data as a signal drop can brick the car.

Did you use a Chinese usb modified cable one by any chance, they're quite a bit cheaper than the tunnelrat.

I use a Tunnelrat one.
They cost more but have a better bitrate and are more trusted & reliable.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Gazza1999 said:

Does the WiFi one go via your home router? Not sure how that would work with my setup. The cable /Bluetooth options might be better for me.

Its local wifi between your devices not via the home router.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, iantt said:

What can the cable one do that the WiFi one doesn't?

8 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

As Clive just said. 

As I haven't got a MK4 I don't know what you can change unfortunately. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your help and replies everyone, much appreciated.  

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club