Do Not Sell My Personal Information

GPS saga again

jsk

Last week I was on a trip from Oxfordshire to Minehead. On the M4 approaching junct 15 Swindon I get the dreaded 'lose of GPS' icon.  I  know I am going to stop at Sedgemoor services on M5 so not too worry I can reset it there. Now the strange part. The rest of the trip to Sedgemoor services, what about 70 miles, the GPS works perfectly even with the fail icon showing. Lane indications,  distance to junctions, timing and no drifting off route, all as expected.

The few other times I have lost GPS within a short space of time it starts drifting.

Have any of you had the fail icon and have it still working over such a distance?

On 6/27/2018 at 3:26 PM, jsk said:

Have not had any problems with my GPS after a couple of signal loses during first two months of ownership.

Eight months on I went to the west country last week. On a trip to the local supermarket with no destination selected but the nav screen on, I lost the GPS signal. Strange thing was the nav screen still showed the correct map orientation and the car icon still following the road and turns as if it still had GPS.

Strange.

On 6/27/2018 at 4:23 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

This morning did another 80 miles or so into uncharted territory (for the car) and exactly the same thing happened, though I have experienced this a couple of times before. Strange indeed!

As I've mentioned recently on the other thread (Mk 8 satnav/GPS issues), I've had no occurrence of the "no GPS" symbol for over 9 months now, and GPS features like TSR and speed warning are functioning fine, though the mapping was obviously well out of date even when the car was built.

1 hour ago, jsk said:

Last week I was on a trip from Oxfordshire to Minehead. On the M4 approaching junct 15 Swindon I get the dreaded 'lose of GPS' icon.  I  know I am going to stop at Sedgemoor services on M5 so not too worry I can reset it there. Now the strange part. The rest of the trip to Sedgemoor services, what about 70 miles, the GPS works perfectly even with the fail icon showing. Lane indications,  distance to junctions, timing and no drifting off route, all as expected.

The few other times I have lost GPS within a short space of time it starts drifting.

Have any of you had the fail icon and have it still working over such a distance?

I've had instances where it would appear to continue working for varying lengths of time, but, slowly and surely the accuracy starts to drift.  

Then I've had instances where it loses GPS and immediately is way out. 

I think it's affected mainly by how many other roads are nearby, if you're on an A road or a motorway it seemed to take longer to drift. 

I've given up on it on all but the quickest of local journeys. 

You can also reset it whilst driving, I think it's power and right track buttons. 

Just had the no GPS signal pop up - happy to say after parking up for 10 minutes its all back working.

Is there a way of resetting it other than turning off for a while ?

The software and maps are all the latest versions for the SYNC 3 according to ford -- took me 3 says of downloading files from ford ! 

13 hours ago, dave_bex said:

Just had the no GPS signal pop up - happy to say after parking up for 10 minutes its all back working.

Is there a way of resetting it other than turning off for a while ?

The software and maps are all the latest versions for the SYNC 3 according to ford -- took me 3 says of downloading files from ford ! 

You can do it whilst driving (if safe of course).  Press and hold both the POWER and >>> (Scan forward) buttons for a few seconds.  The screen will go black and it will soft reboot the Sync system. 

• Like 2

Related to his topic,  I just did a round trip to sheffield of about 3 hours and noticed Android Auto disconnecting several times.  It did this a few times the other month on a trip to Stanstead but it seems more of a pattern now.  I'll soon be back to sticking my phone on the windscreen and listening to BBC Radio 2 on a gramofone at this rate. 😐

I could of course blame the, never before had a single problem, Galaxy S7 I'm using but I'm much more inclined to blame the snowfalke MMI system in Fiesta if I'm honest.

I was using Waze but it also did it with Google Maps too.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club