Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 1.8tdci egr blanking

Focustdcighia

I’ve looked all over and can’t seem to find a guide to fitting an egr blanking plate on a 1.8 tdci focus. I just have a few questions on what is required, will I need to clean the inlet manifold and/or egr valve before blanking? Are there any sensors to clean or unplug? Do I need to remove/blank the egr cooler or can I just leave it connected up?

if anyone has done this before any info would be useful

Cheers 

you need tdcipeter to reply. I am sure he has mentioned this before (and he has mk2 1.8tdci). you might find it if you search previous posts but to be honest I struggle to find previous stuff by using the search function even when I know I have seen it before.

Thanks again, I used the search function and nothing really showed up but I’ve just fitted the plate and cleaned the MAF sensor as well, it doesn’t look like theres anything to clean really, the turbo lag feels like it’s reduced slightly and that’s what I wanted, in regards to the fault I had the other day I had the codes read and it’s a fuel rail sensor 

I’ve got my transit connect 1.8tdci egr blanked off. Simply because I refuse to ever replace the inlet manifold ever again! Lol.

i wouldn’t worry about cleaning anything unless you already have problem with a the internal being choked up with carbon. 

• Like 1

Yeah it’s definitely worth it for about £4 for the blanking plate, saves the egr having further issues and costing £100s, mines on 150k as well so probably only a matter of time before it went 

2 hours ago, Focustdcighia said:

Thanks again, I used the search function and nothing really showed up but I’ve just fitted the plate and cleaned the MAF sensor as well, it doesn’t look like theres anything to clean really, the turbo lag feels like it’s reduced slightly and that’s what I wanted, in regards to the fault I had the other day I had the codes read and it’s a fuel rail sensor 

This is what my 1.8 tdci inlet manifold looked like after just 40,000 so if i was you i would give it a clean also did your blanking plate come with gaskets as when i first fitted mine it leaked a bit and i could smell fumes when i switch on the heater blower in the winter

some come with gaskets some don't

IMG_20190305_102520.jpg

Thanks Dave, I’ve fitted it now but there’s a EML showing up which I thought didn’t occur on the euro 4 models, might be due to gunk in the inlet manifold so I’ll have a look when I get time and see if it needs a clean, I’m not sure if it’s already been cleaned as I’ve only had the car a week

I have definitely seen it said that blanking EGR on 1.8tdci does not cause EML to show (but never done it myself).  Needs the fault code reader putting on there to see what the fault code is

• Like 1

2 hours ago, isetta said:

I have definitely seen it said that blanking EGR on 1.8tdci does not cause EML to show (but never done it myself).  Needs the fault code reader putting on there to see what the fault code is

Yup, for what it's worth I've been running my early MK2 (2005) 1.8 TDCi with the EGR blanked for over 4 years and have never had it throw an EML.

@Focustdcighia You really need to know what code(s) are being triggered as it may just be coincidence that the EML is being triggered not long after you blanked the EGR.

I haven't had a code and mine has been on about 18 months now

Yeah, I had it read the other day and the code was po109 which is apparently a fuel rail sensor, just seems strange that the eml is now constant since egr blanking but might just be a coincidence as the fuel rail issue is probably getting worse, I’m getting a rough idle but that was both before and after blanking so I’ll get it read again and change the fuel rail sensor and see if it cures the EML and rough idle

This is a tip for checking your inlet manifold remove the boost pipe and take a picture with your phone as access is tight that will show how bad it is.

could be contributing to the rough idle mine seemed smoother after I cleaned it out

Update: I’ve replaced the fuel rail sensor and it appears to have solved the rough idle and also the EML is no longer on, if it comes back I’ll clean the inlet manifold out and see if that helps,

cheers

• Like 1

Since replacing the fuel rail pressure sensor the rough idle has gone entirely, however the Engine systems fault light came back on so I’ve had the codes read and it’s p0489 - EGR control circuit low. I’ve read everywhere that blanking on these cause no lights however in this case it is, the car drives fine but I’m wondering if it’s just electrical or if I should get the egr mapped out?

also going to clean the inlet manifold some time in the next couple of weeks.

any info on this would be interesting as I can’t find anyone anywhere who’s had an EML from egr blanking on a euro 4 1.8 tdci.

thanks 

at least being pre-2008 diesel car you won't fail the MOT for the EML being on.

Can you hear the egr flap flapping when you switch off the engine should do it about 4 -5 times if not it may be stuck 

On 6/29/2019 at 9:16 PM, Dave sport tdci said:

Can you hear the egr flap flapping when you switch off the engine should do it about 4 -5 times if not it may be stuck 

What does the flapping sound like is it loud? The car shudders a lot when turning the engine off but I think that’s just a diesel thing.

5 hours ago, Focustdcighia said:

What does the flapping sound like is it loud? The car shudders a lot when turning the engine off but I think that’s just a diesel thing.

No not loud but you should be able to hear it in the car when you turn the key off directly after tap tap tap tap tap as the valve opens and closes if not it will probably be stuck

You can take the back of the egr and manual tern the flap

You should get a pic of the inlet manifold remove the elbow pipe and take a picture 

what is the mileage ?

Have a look at this might help

13 hours ago, Dave sport tdci said:

You should get a pic of the inlet manifold remove the elbow pipe and take a picture 

what is the mileage ?

I’m not too sure where in the engine the elbow pipe is located to remove it, I saw your picture but I’m not sure which side of the engine/positioning the pipe is.

car is on 150k miles 

2 hours ago, Focustdcighia said:

I’m not too sure where in the engine the elbow pipe is located to remove it, I saw your picture but I’m not sure which side of the engine/positioning the pipe is.

car is on 150k miles 

If you remove the engine cover it's the pipe that looks like a L shape at the back of the engine that goes into your egr 

I'm not being rude but if you don't no where the pipe is and or the egr I think you would be better of going to a professional to fix your car

It's the pipe that is under the letter E if that helps the EGR is next to it that is where you want to get a pic

Screenshot_20190702_110543.jpg

Ok thanks I’ll have a look when I get a chance, by removing that pipe can you clean the inlet manifold or do I have to take the whole thing out? 

1 hour ago, Dave sport tdci said:

I'm not being rude but if you don't no where the pipe is and or the egr I think you would be better of going to a professional to fix your car

I’m not a mechanic or anything but I have some knowledge of the way an engine works I’m just a bit unsure as I’ve never owned a diesel or a car with a turbo. With these pictures/diagrams I can get a good idea of what I’m supposed to be doing, and once I know I can do the work, sorry if it seems like I’m asking stupid questions. 

I’ll try and get a picture of inside the pipe today but I can imagine that after 150k it’ll probably be nearly closed with soot.

cheers.

There’s the picture and it’s full of soot. What’s the best way to clean them, manually or with spray cleaner?

176652C0-205D-400E-883F-3810F62069B2.jpeg