Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reverse camera upgrade

Pabz0804

1 minute ago, Pabz0804 said:

Tom, your a legend 

No problem. Let me know if you have one. I honestly had the dash in bits and took off every bit of tape looking for it. I have a couple of fakra cables going as well if you need one give me a shout. 

19 hours ago, Tommo17 said:

No problem. Let me know if you have one. I honestly had the dash in bits and took off every bit of tape looking for it. I have a couple of fakra cables going as well if you need one give me a shout. 

Thanx Tom 👍🏼

So I've had a look and no cable from connector under dash to radio..

Damm it wheres the best place to pick one up?

20190706_131245.jpg

1 hour ago, Pabz0804 said:

Thanx Tom 👍🏼

So I've had a look and no cable from connector under dash to radio..

Damm it wheres the best place to pick one up?

20190706_131245.jpg

Saved you the hassle of attempting to find it behind the screen. You need a fakra Z extension. Just look on amazon I’ve not got that system any more so couldn’t be 100% it will work. 

4 hours ago, Tommo17 said:

Saved you the hassle of attempting to find it behind the screen. You need a fakra Z extension. Just look on amazon I’ve not got that system any more so couldn’t be 100% it will work. 

Yeap defo saved me a lot of time 👍🏼 massively appreciate your help.

So looking on amazon and not sure which one to go for any idea?

56 minutes ago, Pabz0804 said:

Yeap defo saved me a lot of time 👍🏼 massively appreciate your help.

So looking on Amazon and not sure which one to go for any idea?

Double check ACV 1524 - 500 Fakra Extension Cable 500 cm (Male) to (F) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019N26MPW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_qtpiDbFFR24SM that it’s male under glove box and female behind screen. 

Thanx tom if I'm not wrong then the cable you listed should work ...?

20190706_211245.jpg

20190706_211145.jpg

All you need to connect an aftermarket rear view camera in a Focus MK3 are the following parts:

20170421_174811.jpg

5 Inch FCDIM with a green Rosenberger/Fakra HSD connector.

1062860825_cameraadapter.thumb.jpg.7737749f47e8adb502880543bce19dfb.jpg

RCA to Rosenberger/Fakra HSD adapter cable. You can either buy it or build one yourself.

42858579_Rearviewcamera.thumb.jpg.0863bb304b0f3bdeb1afad2141857c4a.jpg

Rear view camera. This can either be a vehicle specific camera (like the one in the picture) or a universal one as long as it is a NTSC camera.

The only disadvantage of an aftermarket rear view camera is that the active (moving) parking lines do not work. The active parking lines only work on an original rear view camera and module. The original rear view camera communicates (LINbus or CANbus) with the rear view camera module or the BCM (depending on production date) the rear view camera module or BCM adds the parking lines to the camera image.

Not a big problem because most aftermarket rear view camera's have integrated fixed parking lines.  

• Thanks 1

You need a HSD fakra connector for the screen end 

Will the amazon extension cable not do for screen to foot well connector?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019N26MPW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_qtpiDbFFR24SM

Any where I can buy these cables ready made for

Screen > foot well plug and

RCA camera > boot connector

Sorry for being such a noob just dont wanna mess things up, and really grateful for all the input 👍🏼

The latest design of the 5 Inch displays have a Rosenberger/Fakra HSD connector. This is a 5-pole connector (4-pins + ground). The amazon cable has a "normal" Fakra connector. This is a 2-pole connector (1-pin + ground).

If you want to use the existing cable inside the car you need a "normal" Fakra to Rosenberger/Fakra HSD cable that has the correct pinout. Such a cable will be virtually impossible to find. It will either have to be custom built or you have to build it yourself.

I recommend to not use the existing cable inside the car and install an additional (usually included with the rear view camera) RCA cable from the boot to the display. This is a lot easier than using the existing cable. The power for the rear view camera can be taken from the rear window wiper motor. The window wiper motor has a ignition switched power supply.

1 hour ago, JW1982 said:

The latest design of the 5 Inch displays have a Rosenberger/Fakra HSD connector. This is a 5-pole connector (4-pins + ground). The amazon cable has a "normal" Fakra connector. This is a 2-pole connector (1-pin + ground).

If you want to use the existing cable inside the car you need a "normal" Fakra to Rosenberger/Fakra HSD cable that has the correct pinout. Such a cable will be virtually impossible to find. It will either have to be custom built or you have to build it yourself.

I recommend to not use the existing cable inside the car and install an additional (usually included with the rear view camera) RCA cable from the boot to the display. This is a lot easier than using the existing cable. The power for the rear view camera can be taken from the rear window wiper motor. The window wiper motor has a ignition switched power supply.

Thanx JW, so my screen is the 5pole connector type and the connector in the football is a 2pole, is that right?

So I would need to get a 5pole style cable from the screen, and connect it to a 5pole>av adaptor which the camera hooks into?

2 hours ago, JW1982 said:

This could be where I’m going wrong. Was hoping to use the OEM camera I’m guessing there is no way of using this ? I was assuming the blue and green was the fakra connection on the tailgate harness 

607BEAF0-E08D-4C4E-BAEE-36796CC41722.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Where can I pick up an RCA to Rosenberger/Fakra HSD adapter cable like the one in your photo @JW1982

Yes, that is the correct type of adapter cable.

On 7/8/2019 at 1:09 AM, Pabz0804 said:

How’d you get on ? Up and running ? 

I’ve wired everything but doesn’t work. Turns out I don’t have power. Not sure why not. Will figure it out eventually. 

3 hours ago, Tommo17 said:

How’d you get on ? Up and running ? 

I’ve wired everything but doesn’t work. Turns out I don’t have power. Not sure why not. Will figure it out eventually. 

Just waiting on fakra hsd adaptor and camera to be delivered, the rest is here.

Don't you just take the power off the reverse light?

3 hours ago, Pabz0804 said:

Just waiting on fakra hsd adaptor and camera to be delivered, the rest is here.

Don't you just take the power off the reverse light?

Good stuff. No mate the plug in the back that connects the module has a supply from fuse F29. For some reason mine isn’t giving out power

• Confused 1

Hope you get it sorted Tom.

I'm going the route of @JW1982

Just a few questions,

With the rear camera wiring, will I need to use the signal wire which is with the RCA lead?

With the power wire I think I'm going to run it to the reverse light wiring so will need to extend it, what size twin core wire do you recommend?

Al's @JW1982 what is the reason to power the camera from the rear wiper and not the reverse light?

Sorry for all these questions again

When the reverse gear is selected (or if the parking sensor button is pressed) the display switches to the rear view camera image. However when the rear view camera image is displayed and any other gear is selected the rear view camera image will still be displayed for either 60 seconds or until the vehicle drives over approximately 6 MPH. 

When using the reverse light to power the rear view camera the camera will no longer be powered when any other gear is selected. This will result in a black screen because the camera is no longer powered while the display is still displaying the camera image.

This problem does not occur when using an ignition switched power supply for the rear view camera.

I personally went a different route. I developed an arduino based CANbus module to power the rear view camera. 

The rear view camera is switched ON:

* When the reverse gear is selected.
* When the PDC button is pressed.
* When the Active Park Assist button is pressed.

The rear view camera is switched OFF:

* When the vehicle reaches a speed of 10 KM/H.
* When the rear view camera was switched ON for 6 minutes.

My CANbus solution turned out to be perfect. The parts/components needed to build the relay costed me less than €10,- so this solution is pretty inexpensive. It took me however quite some time to design/build the module and to write and test the Arduino program. Being fully functional it was definetely worth all the effort.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JW1982 said:

When the reverse gear is selected (or if the parking sensor button is pressed) the display switches to the rear view camera image. However when the rear view camera image is displayed and any other gear is selected the rear view camera image will still be displayed for either 60 seconds or until the vehicle drives over approximately 6 MPH. 

When using the reverse light to power the rear view camera the camera will no longer be powered when any other gear is selected. This will result in a black screen because the camera is no longer powered while the display is still displaying the camera image.

This problem does not occur when using an ignition switched power supply for the rear view camera.

I personally went a different route. I developed an arduino based CANbus module to power the rear view camera. 

My CANbus solution turned out to be perfect. The parts/components needed to build the relay costed me less than €10,- so this solution is pretty inexpensive. It took me however quite some time to design/build the module and to write and test the Arduino program. Being fully functional it was definetely worth all the effort.

Did that give you OEM features regarding the moving lines. I’ve not got the brains to even know how you’ve done that lol. I still can’t figure out why my f29 fuse is linked to the camera module power but no power actually there. 

21 hours ago, JW1982 said:

Wow your work sounds awesome jw, whish you was my neighbour 😂... ur skill set is more advance  than mine when it come to this stuff lol, so I think I'll go the basic route.

What I might do then, is offer everything up and see what it looks like both powered by reverse then to the wiper to see which I prefer, what do you think?

I think the rear wiper option sounds better and cleaner on the display as a visual but was worried it would burn the camera out some how as it is constantly on while ignition is on.... is this true?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tommo17 said:

Did that give you OEM features regarding the moving lines. I’ve not got the brains to even know how you’ve done that lol. I still can’t figure out why my f29 fuse is linked to the camera module power but no power actually there. 

Lol I thought I was ok around cars, but JW knocks it of of the park 🤓

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pabz0804 said:

Lol I thought I was ok around cars, but JW knocks it of of the park 🤓

He’s obviously a wizard no other explanation 

• Like 1

@JW1982 would you have a photo of how you wired your camera to the rear wiper?

Not sure which wires to T into.