Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK4 Focus - Have Ford dropped Multi-link Suspension from some models

Tizer

I recently bought a new Focus MK4 Titanium 1.5 Petrol, May 2019 build date. I first noticed that the Tyres were 195x65x15 (as per the plate on the door pillar) and not the 205x60x15 that the brochure says they should be, and after having a good look around I noticed that the Rear Suspension is a Twist Beam and not Multi-link as per the brochure for that petrol engine size.

I checked with Ford Etis and it says my car is fitted with Standard Suspension, Rear Suspension Level 1 and Rear Spring Load Class-F.

Before I start to make too much noise and reject the car does anyone know if Ford have changed the Rear Suspension and Tyres for this model or has my car left the production line with the wrong Suspension and Tyres.

I would also be grateful if anyone knows if Level 1 Rear Suspension is Multi-link or Twist Beam. 

54 minutes ago, Tizer said:

I recently bought a new Focus MK4 Titanium 1.5 Petrol, May 2019 build date. I first noticed that the Tyres were 195x65x15 (as per the plate on the door pillar) and not the 205x60x15 that the brochure says they should be, and after having a good look around I noticed that the Rear Suspension is a Twist Beam and not Multi-link as per the brochure for that petrol engine size.

I checked with Ford Etis and it says my car is fitted with Standard Suspension, Rear Suspension Level 1 and Rear Spring Load Class-F.

Before I start to make too much noise and reject the car does anyone know if Ford have changed the Rear Suspension and Tyres for this model or has my car left the production line with the wrong Suspension and Tyres.

I would also be grateful if anyone knows if Level 1 Rear Suspension is Multi-link or Twist Beam. 

You mean 16 in tyres? Titanium should be 205/60/16 .does it say on Etis what the tyre size is? 

Not sure the titanium has the multi link suspension. Depends on engine. Maybe yours should . The brochure doesn't mention suspension that I can see

26 minutes ago, iantt said:

Not sure the titanium has the multi link suspension. Depends on engine. Maybe yours should . The brochure doesn't mention suspension that I can see

Oops, I meant 16 inch iantt. Etis does not mention Tyre size, just that it has 6.5x16 wheels, which I believe either size of Tyre can fit.

In the brochure under the Driving Experience specifications all cars should have the Twist Beam except the Active, Vignale and all other cars with either a 1.5 Petrol or 2.0 Diesel engine.

I suspect that there will be a get out clause regarding specification changes, I'm just trying to get my facts right in case the car has been built wrong.

This is a titanium , and shows the tyre size.  Only the diesel 1.5 95ps has the narrower tyre. I don't see many of those at all. 

Screenshot_20190630-214317.png

The brochure I'm reading is a bit vague. My reading is the multilink is titanium X , vignale and stline X . Those can have the variable damping as extra.  

Back to tyres again. Have you checked all tyres are the same size? Been known one side different to the other. Lol 

Screenshot_20190630-214944.png

Thanks iantt, The brochure that I'm reading is the same as the online one, so one of them may be out of date.

All tyres are the same and there is only one size on the plate that is on the door pillar, which is the small size.

Here is a copy from Etis for my car and it is strange that it does not mention Tyre size.

I'm beginning to suspect that the chassis was built for the 1.5 Diesel, but I definitely have a 1.5 petrol.1860816484_Screenshot(49).thumb.png.d63a89b9c36618884dc68eeff7cb8874.png

All the blurb I've read says multi-link independent should be on all but base models

9 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

All the blurb I've read says multi-link independent should be on all but base models

Yes, from what I've seen torsion beam would be on 1.0 models, not 1.5.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yes, from what I've seen torsion beam would be on 1.0 models, not 1.5.

Your right, just found some info. Looks like all 1.5 petrol in UK should have multilink . (There is a 1.5 120hp in different country with torsion beam)

1.0 ecoboost  and diesel 1.5 can be both depending on spec,vignale is multilink

2.0 diesel multilink. 

All estates whatever engine is multilink

Apologies if this is a daft question, but are we absolutely sure we've got a torsion beam under there? Depending on what access you have, it can be very difficult crawling under the back of the car to get a clear view of the suspension - could the crossmember be taken for a beam?

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Apologies if this is a daft question, but are we absolutely sure we've got a torsion beam under there? Depending on what access you have, it can be very difficult crawling under the back of the car to get a clear view of the suspension - could the crossmember be taken for a beam?

Ford did confirm at launch they'd be using torsion beam on less powerful/low spec models.

That said, it's their new patented "banana" spring setup they first did for the Fiesta ST.

Thanks for all the info iantt, Guy Heaton, Eric Bloodaxe and Alexp999

It definitely is not Multi-link, here is a photo of it. Luckily I'm still within my rejection period.

The car is a 150bhp Petrol version. I will keep the Forum informed if I find out anything else.

.DSC_0623.thumb.JPG.cb137970e16d8203329f1da9837088d8.JPG

• Like 2

As soon as I'm back at work ( I'm in sunny portugal at the moment knocking back the sangria like it's squash  ) I will have a look for a new  titanium 1.5 and see what it's got. 

• Like 2

The brochure says twist beam should only be on the hatchback with either the 1.0 EcoBoost, or 1.5 EcoBlue 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tizer said:

It definitely is not Multi-link, here is a photo of it. 

Certainly isn't. Think I can even see the banana shape in the spring as Alex mentions! 

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:
6 hours ago, Tizer said:

Certainly isn't. Think I can even see the banana shape in the spring as Alex mentions!

I didn't jack the car up but I did think the spring was a bit banana shaped.

I'm awaiting a response from Ford and will keep the Forum informed

• Like 1

Also found out the 195/65/16 tyres should only be on steel wheels. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, iantt said:

Also found out the 195/65/16 tyres should only be on steel wheels.

Thanks again iantt, that's what I thought as well. 

• 1 month later...

An update to this Thread for anyone interested. I have finally had confirmation from Ford that they have dropped Multi-link Suspension from the 1.5 petrol model for MY2019.75 cars, except the Vignale and Active, along with some other changes as detailed in @JW1982's post in another Thread. It did not say the exact Build Date it was effective from, but some time in April/May as per JW1982's post seems about right.

The last time I looked at Ford's Specifications they still had not been changed to reflect this, so if you have ordered a new car you may not get what you were expecting unless it had an earlier Build Date.

The Twist Beam Suspension is not that bad but my last two cars had Multi-link and there is a difference.

The Tyre change is more of a problem than it seems at first glance because the Tyres are V and 92 rated. The problem with that is that there are very few 195 65 16 92V rated Tyres manufactured and I would not consider buying any of the ones that are manufactured.

I don't know if it is just the Focus cars that have been changed or if other models have been changed as well.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tizer said:

I don't know if it is just the Focus cars that have been changed or if other models have been changed as well.

Yes, it's poor that they change the spec of cars on order without any notification, even more so as it's still mentioned in the brochure, though, from the price list/ordering guide, you can just about figure it out if you know what you're looking for. 

As discussed on another thread, they have also had a serious cull of the Fiesta range, dropping the Zetec altogether, so the range starts with the Trend and the cheapest model with an Ecoboost is now the ST-Line. Again I have seen no announcement - some car mags are still recommending Zetec as "pick of the range"!

• Like 2

Just glancing at Autocar's (very favourable) review of their long term ST-Line X 182, they obviously don't know that multi- link (and therefore the CCD option) have been largely dropped, either!

This is an extract from a summary of the pros and cons of the various options:

"Right, which option boxes are we keeping ticked? The continuously controlled damping (£650) is definitely staying: I wouldn’t get rid of anything that might compromise our Focus’s excellent ride, poise and handling."

• Like 1

I think you are right @Eric Bloodaxe, it seems that the Continuously Controlled Damping is only available on the Vignale now.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/2/2019 at 5:57 PM, Tizer said:

An update to this Thread for anyone interested. I have finally had confirmation from Ford that they have dropped Multi-link Suspension from the 1.5 petrol model for MY2019.75 cars, except the Vignale and Active, along with some other changes as detailed in @JW1982's post in another Thread. It did not say the exact Build Date it was effective from, but some time in April/May as per JW1982's post seems about right.

The last time I looked at Ford's Specifications they still had not been changed to reflect this, so if you have ordered a new car you may not get what you were expecting unless it had an earlier Build Date.

The Twist Beam Suspension is not that bad but my last two cars had Multi-link and there is a difference.

The Tyre change is more of a problem than it seems at first glance because the Tyres are V and 92 rated. The problem with that is that there are very few 195 65 16 92V rated Tyres manufactured and I would not consider buying any of the ones that are manufactured.

John, what did u end up doing re the titanium? There’s so many threads / comments re this multi link issue. 

1 hour ago, Alex.S said:

John, what did u end up doing re the titanium? There’s so many threads / comments re this multi link issue. 

I seriously thought about rejecting the car, which would have been a problem because I can't be without transport for long and I would have been no further forward unless I could locate an earlier build car with everything I wanted and just as importantly without the things I didn't want.

On 8/27/2019 at 9:32 PM, Tizer said:

I seriously thought about rejecting the car, which would have been a problem because I can't be without transport for long and I would have been no further forward unless I could locate an earlier build car with everything I wanted and just as importantly without the things I didn't want.

What’s your thoughts on it now? 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club